Neighbour with smoky chimney, anyone here still have fire in late April ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a next door neighbour who, since November, has had a fire everyday, I am guessing either coal or wood. My place gets very hot right now without any heating, currently shows 25 degrees. I have now had to shut my window because of the stench of the smoke coming from their chimney. Living both in bungalows the smoke is always at house level. This now makes indoors even hotter. I got a air conditioner thinking this would help, but it just brings in the smoky smell. I also bought a air cleaner, but this doesn't really help much, or it does but not until the smoke has stopped coming in, it then will clear the room, but it won't help while the chimney is still smoking. Oddly though I can't see the actual smoke in my garden, it dissipates visually before it gets here, but the smell is still very strong and comes in waves.

Now obviously my neighbour is entitled to have a fire, but would you just put up with it until May and then have a polite word, or what ? Although s/he is my neighbour, s/he lives on a totally different street opening, I only see the back of their house, and his back garden is covered with a hedge, so I have never seen him or her to talk to or say hello.

So if you were in my situation, do I just shut the windows and put up with it, or at least try and ask them ? Or maybe wait until May ? Does anyone here still light a coal or wood fire every night in April ?

Comments

• CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only when I've got the neighbours on
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I have got the heating on full I'm freezing today

OK said I have said before I am usually cold but today I'm cold even for me.
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got the heating on full I'm freezing today

OK said I have said before I am usually cold but today I'm cold even for me.

What area are you ? I am in Dorset.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is your house so warm :eek:

I've got the fire on in my house.

The thermostat on my wall was reading 14 °C a few hours ago.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    My mother (76) is on various tablets and she is always freezing cold - her hands are very cold. As a result, the burners are on all the time - my dad copes with it but for visitors, it is far too hot.

How old is your neighbour?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    How is your house so warm :eek:

I've got the fire on in my house.

The thermostat on my wall was reading 14 °C a few hours ago.

Dear me, my windows have been open all day here (Somerset) and have been for quite some time. Bedroom and bathroom ones are always left open unless I go out or it's really cold.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Just lit one tonight, first for over a month. Nice and toasty.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    What area are you ? I am in Dorset.

Gt Yarmouth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    My mother (76) is on various tablets and she is always freezing cold - her hands are very cold. As a result, the burners are on all the time - my dad copes with it but for visitors, it is far too hot.

How old is your neighbour?

I have a feeling they are a couple, and old, although it may sound funny all I have seen is 2 sets of very white hair moving around, as they have a hedge so I can just see the tops of heads moving occasionally when they are in the garden. There is one other garden between us so I can't lean across the hedge. I would take a guess that they are elderly and a couple, just not fully sure. This is part of the reason I don't want to go around, because if they are elderly and feel the cold more, then they need the heat, but at the same time I swelter, I suppose I am just concerned this will be the case even in May and June when it is boiling. For the last 15 years I never had any issue with smoke in the area, so either they are new neighbours or changed their heating due to the prices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Dear me, my windows have been open all day here (Somerset) and have been for quite some time. Bedroom and bathroom ones are always left open unless I go out or it's really cold.

That is how I usually like it, I live on the border of Somerset in Dorset so can understand right now. I love the breeze coming through, but ever since November have had to shut them on evenings, just gets depressing now when it is daylight outside and I have to shut the windows and stay inside.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are any number of reasons why people keep their heating on and/or burn fires all year round.

If my neighbour came round at any time and moaned about my fire, I'd tell them to shove off, mind their own business or move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are any number of reasons why people keep their heating on and/or burn fires all year round.

If my neighbour came round at any time and moaned about my fire, I'd tell them to shove off, mind their own business or move.

Wow, that is polite. I wouldn't even have moaned at them, just politely mentioned about it to see if there is a compromise. So you couldn't care less about smoking out your neighbours as long as you are alright Jack ?
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a next door neighbour who, since November, has had a fire everyday, I am guessing either coal or wood. My place gets very hot right now without any heating, currently shows 25 degrees. I have now had to shut my window because of the stench of the smoke coming from their chimney. Living both in bungalows the smoke is always at house level. This now makes indoors even hotter. I got a air conditioner thinking this would help, but it just brings in the smoky smell. I also bought a air cleaner, but this doesn't really help much, or it does but not until the smoke has stopped coming in, it then will clear the room, but it won't help while the chimney is still smoking. Oddly though I can't see the actual smoke in my garden, it dissipates visually before it gets here, but the smell is still very strong and comes in waves.

Now obviously my neighbour is entitled to have a fire, but would you just put up with it until May and then have a polite word, or what ? Although s/he is my neighbour, s/he lives on a totally different street opening, I only see the back of their house, and his back garden is covered with a hedge, so I have never seen him or her to talk to or say hello.

So if you were in my situation, do I just shut the windows and put up with it, or at least try and ask them ? Or maybe wait until May ? Does anyone here still light a coal or wood fire every night in April ?
    This may help

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?id=18193
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I don't have a fireplace, so I'd be really worried if there was a fire in my flat. I do have the heating on though. I was out and about earlier and thinking that I had perhaps been a tad premature in putting away my winter clothes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's none of you business (unless there is a problem with the chimney or they are burning old tyres or something).

They have a house with an open fire, in a non-smokeless area. If you are sensitive, take it up with the Council.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's none of you business (unless there is a problem with the chimney or they are burning old tyres or something).

They have a house with an open fire, in a non-smokeless area. If you are sensitive, take it up with the Council.

Surely when the garden and house stinks of smoke it becomes my business doesn't it ? Would you be happy to live next door to someone who had a bonfire every day for 7 hours ? Even in hot weather so you can't hang out washing or open windows ?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be a super-smeller ? I'm like that - can literally smell someone smoking in the next street....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then call the Council Duty Officer (you can do it now), they will come and inspect and advise if the smoke is excessive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is how I usually like it, I live on the border of Somerset in Dorset so can understand right now. I love the breeze coming through, but ever since November have had to shut them on evenings, just gets depressing now when it is daylight outside and I have to shut the windows and stay inside.

I know what you mean, I always feel claustrophobic when my windows are shut. The added bonus lately has been my gas bill has been near enough zero the last few months.:)

Forgot to ask... if it's a council property have you approached your local council?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people aren't quite as sensitive to the smell of smoke. Perhaps they can't afford oil heating and get very cold. If you go round you'll give the poor old folks stress about you moaning and make them feel as if they have to freeze to keep you away from their door...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if smokeless fuel is any good and odourless ? Maybe at some point I can offer to buy them some of that, or pay for their chimney to be swept, as there is a strong sooty smell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so it is clearly a problem for you, that you want to solve.

The correct course of action is to get in touch with the Council (or talk to friends and family first).

It is not acceptable to approach your neighbours asking if they really need a fire, when the weather seems good, nor offering to buy them smokeless fuel nor offering to have their chimney swept (which won't help anyway). As pugamo pointed out, you may stress them unreasonably or even frighten the daylights out of them.
    Of course, they may just be outraged.

Until you have further advice on the situation, I am afraid you will just have to keep your windows closed.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few chimneys giving off reek here just now as its still pretty cold here. I love the smell. We used smokeless fuel in our old cottage but it was far more expensive than coal so understand why folk might use the cheaper stuff that gives off more odour.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling they are a couple, and old, although it may sound funny all I have seen is 2 sets of very white hair moving around, as they have a hedge so I can just see the tops of heads moving occasionally when they are in the garden. There is one other garden between us so I can't lean across the hedge. I would take a guess that they are elderly and a couple, just not fully sure. This is part of the reason I don't want to go around, because if they are elderly and feel the cold more, then they need the heat, but at the same time I swelter, I suppose I am just concerned this will be the case even in May and June when it is boiling. For the last 15 years I never had any issue with smoke in the area, so either they are new neighbours or changed their heating due to the prices.

Talk to them. Most people, even if they are 'old', will be nice and listen. They may not know that their chimney is smoking and be very glad to be told nicely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    Talk to them. Most people, even if they are 'old', will be nice and listen. They may not know that their chimney is smoking and be very glad to be told nicely.

Exactly.