If guns were legal in the UK, would you own and carry one?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I would own one, but only keep it in my bedroom

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably want one, but quite frankly I don't think I can be trusted with one.
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are legal, provided you have the correct licence and storage.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'd probably want one, but quite frankly I don't think I can be trusted with one.

This lol. I wouldn't trust myself with a pistol.

I'd rather own a crossbow actually.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I would buy a tank.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be handy for Primark
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    I'd have two in a holster, cowboy style.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to own a potato pistol and bring it to school

http://mcphee.com/shop/media/catalog/product/0/2/02000__59951.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes I would mainly use it for reckless violence on inanimate objects - just like those rednecks outback get to do living the dream!! :D

Although I am aware you can apply to the police station for a gun licence in the UK. Granted you have a viable reason for wanting one (e.g farmer).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because I would kill someone or lots of someones.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    No because I would kill someone or lots of someones.

lol...delightfully put :D
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd keep one in the house, but not carry it around in the street unless I had a good reason to.

Handguns and concealed carry are actually legal in the UK, in Northern Ireland, and handguns are still legal in the Isle of Man and Channel Islands.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    If guns were legal but I could still end up in gaol for killing someone, then I wouldn't carry one. If on the other hand I could go around the city killing people with my newly acquired firearm weapon like John bloody Wayne, not only that I would carry a gun, I would carry two guns! :D
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and I would be campaigning for their re-criminalisation. Safety from being allowed a gun only leads to an arms race where the criminals get bigger guns and the vicious circle begins as is being played in America. You don't solve violence with violence.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and I would be campaigning for their re-criminalisation. Safety from being allowed a gun only leads to an arms race where the criminals get bigger guns and the vicious circle begins as is being played in America.

But strangely not in any other European country.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to own a potato pistol and bring it to school

http://mcphee.com/shop/media/catalog/product/0/2/02000__59951.jpg

I took my air pistol in once and got suspended. :( It was one of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkhpol76Cr0
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I would own one, but only keep it in my bedroom

Keeping it in your bedroom would mean that you would be unprotected in the other rooms in the house. Especially the bathroom. You wouldn't want to get assassinated in the shower, right?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I took my air pistol in once and got suspended. :( It was one of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkhpol76Cr0

Waste of time. You'd have done more damage by throwing the pellets instead of putting them in that feeble gat. :D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I wouldn't want to own one at all. I have no interest in them at all.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want one. For a start I wouldn't trust myself with it.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waste of time. You'd have done more damage by throwing the pellets instead of putting them in that feeble gat. :D

True enough, but I thought I was so cool. :blush:

Anyway, I don't think I'd own one and keep it at home. I wouldn't rule out joining a gun club if they were commonplace, either keeping one there or hiring one and shooting targets.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I wouldn't carry one around but I'd probably own one for recreation, as I did with air guns when I was in my mid teens.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the fence on this one. I love guns, i love shooting paper targets and a side arm Imo, looks cool as...but, no, i don't think i would want the responsibility of carrying one.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like one yes. A handgun, nothing fancy y'know.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    On the fence on this one. I love guns, i love shooting paper targets and a side arm Imo, looks cool as...but, no, i don't think i would want the responsibility of carrying one.

Thing is, as anyone who has handled pistols will tell you, they are actually heavy, awkward things to carrry around with you. Heck, I can't be arsed to take my mobile phone everywhere with me. Imagine a kilogramme of loaded 9mm pistol dragging on your belt all the time. The Yanks who can be bothered must be really paranoid to do this. If it was allowed, I would have no qualms about keeping a pistol in the glove compartment of the car. I would regard it as any other piece of emergency equipment.