Possible to transfer game on Xbox360 HDD to another console?

Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As title suggests, if I have installed an Xbox 360 game on to the hard drive from the disc can it be transferred to another console?

The original game disc got damaged in an unfortunate accident so I can't use that anymore.

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant you just play it on the console with the HDD in if its only the game disc that got damaged?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why cant you just play it on the console with the HDD in if its only the game disc that got damaged?

You need the disc in to play games installed on the HDD as you do with the PS3/PS4/XB1.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless you would need to buy a new copy of the disc.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You need the disc in to play games installed on the HDD as you do with the PS3/PS4/XB1.

Just wondered why they are talking about transferring it when it wouldn't even work in the same console let alone another.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Sure you can do this but you will need to copy it to an external USB device first and then copy back to another HDD. You will need the disk for verification, so long as your disk boot sector is still readable the data can be scratched to all hell, it only needs to use a small part of the disk in order for it to boot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondered why they are talking about transferring it when it wouldn't even work in the same console let alone another.

Yeah I wondered this too, if the game doesn't work on the original machine it won't work on any others either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

This was my first thought too.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you can tell I know bugger all about Xboxes. Installed the game but have never played it since so didn't know that the disk had to be in.

Never mind, I'll just delete it.

Thanks guys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you can tell I know bugger all about Xboxes. Installed the game but have never played it since so didn't know that the disk had to be in.

Never mind, I'll just delete it.

Thanks guys.

No worries, MS wanted to do that with the new Xbox but people threw a hissy fit (as it would stop the disk being resold) so they changed it back.