Options

Thinking of Getting a Scooter

whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
Forum Member
✭✭
Well I have a full driving licence but have a phobia about driving and haven't for 16 years. My ex partner did all the driving but now that I am on my own I have to rely on public transport.

So thinking of getting a scooter, I really am only looking for something to get me to and from the station, about 4 miles away and to the local shops - same distance.

Has anyone got one, I have one in mind looked at costs insurance licence fee etc but other than a helmet what else in terms of accessories do I need?

Comments

• Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    If you have not driven in 16 years you should retake your driving test.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Full driving licence for a motorcycle, OP?

If not then you will need to take your motorcycle driving test, a car one doesn't cover you to ride a scooter. I think it might cover you as a provisional licence, you would need to check.

Also, if you do happen to have a full motorcycle driving licence but haven't driven/ridden for 16 years then I would strongly advise you to undergo some practical motorcycle training to update you.

Taking the Motorcycle CBT Test would probably be a very good idea. If you already have a full motorcycle licence you don't have to retake the full test, though there would be nothing stopping you if you so wanted to.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about an actual bicycle?

Will keep you fit and healthy?

I'd feel safer on a bike than a scooter (I assume you mean a moped and not one of those silly adult scooters)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have a full driving licence but have a phobia about driving and haven't for 16 years. My ex partner did all the driving but now that I am on my own I have to rely on public transport.

So thinking of getting a scooter, I really am only looking for something to get me to and from the station, about 4 miles away and to the local shops - same distance.

Has anyone got one, I have one in mind looked at costs insurance licence fee etc but other than a helmet what else in terms of accessories do I need?

You need to do your CBT (compulsory basic training)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have not driven in 16 years you should retake your driving test.

The scooter does not go over 30mph so my licence does cover me and i dont need a separate motorcycle license. The garage I have chatted to have suggested eight hours of group and road safety training prior to me being set lose which I think is vital.

Cycling is not an option, it would take too long, I live at the top of a very steep long hill and i dont want to be arriving at the station for a long train journey to work already hot and sweaty!
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    The scooter does not go over 30mph so my licence does cover me and i dont need a separate motorcycle license. The garage I have chatted to have suggested eight hours of group and road safety training prior to me being set lose which I think is vital.

Cycling is not an option, it would take too long, I live at the top of a very steep long hill and i dont want to be arriving at the station for a long train journey to work already hot and sweaty!

You say you have a phobia about driving and haven't for 16 years, well i am not sure if one of these scooters would really solve your problem as it is a lot more nerve racking riding one of these in all the traffic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You say you have a phobia about driving and haven't for 16 years, well i am not sure if one of these scooters would really solve your problem as it is a lot more nerve racking riding one of these in all the traffic.

Well needs must I have to over come so of my fears if I am going to be able to get my life back on track.

The traffic isnt so bad down here, there is very little at 6am when i will be leaving in the morning and I wont be back until about 6.30pm when the rush hour such as it is down here is over.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you perhaps hire one for a weekend to see how you get on with it? If you buy one and hate it, it could end up expensive!
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Well needs must I have to over come so of my fears if I am going to be able to get my life back on track.

The traffic isnt so bad down here, there is very little at 6am when i will be leaving in the morning and I wont be back until about 6.30pm when the rush hour such as it is down here is over.

Nothing wrong with going back and having some driving lessons with a instuctor, to see if that could help you with your driving phobia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this, the op needs to start slowly on quiet roads....

Being on a moped is probably not a good idea. All it would take is a bus or lorry a bit too close and it could be goodnight Vienna if the op is of nervous....

I drive for a living, have done for 6 years and I'm still über cautious around other large vehicles..
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with going back and having some driving lessons with a instuctor, to see if that could help you with your driving phobia

This I would really recommend.

I had some driving lessons when I bought a car with gears after driving automatics for years (I passed my test in a manual but hadn't driven one for abut 12 years).

A scooter is not for those who have a driving phobia - you really have to aware of other traffic, far more than in a car, and potholes.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and do your CBT.

The instructors will have you out on the road in the second part and the day will build your confidence.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And please ask your instructors about what safety gear you should wear. Even coming off a scooter at 10mph, without leather gloves on you can almost kiss goodbye to your hands as the skin (and possibly bone) can be completely scraped off by the road surface.

Never ride wearing shorts, or anything other than shoes / trainers - NEVER FLIP FLOPS - for the same reason as above.

And please please please DO NOT BUY A SECOND HAND HELMET - you never know its history and even if its had only a minor thump, it can be rendered useless.

As bikers say "Its not IF you'll fall off, it's WHEN"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for feed back

On second thoughts maybe this is not for me!
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about hypnotherapy to try to get over your fear of driving?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe go our with a friend or neighbour... Quiet country lanes

Once you back behind the wheel you will be fine, just take it slowly..

Scooter and mopeds are dangerous, mainly because the roads are full of lorries, buses and a lot more cars on the road these days

Good luck op