Options

Is Homeland a good show to watch? (Channel 4 UK)

Comments

• Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Talk about stepping out on a limb...

Homeland was reasonably entertaining but it's a long way from being a masterpiece. Ok TV, nothing more.

Not stepping out on a limb at all in holding Homeland in the level of esteem that I hold it. Consensus opinion is with me on Homeland, not you. Now of course one is absolutely entitled to disagree with consensus opinion (which I do frequently), and I suspect I am doing it with respect to the Danish Killing, which I liked, but consider significantly over-rated when I look at what people on the internet usually say about it. And not that IMDB ratings are an authority that should be deferred to, but just as a point of interest I will note that Homeland's first season has an 8.7 (out of 10) rating, while the Danish Killing's first season has an 8.5 rating. Season two of the Danish Killing has only a 7.8 rating on IMDB, but I haven't seen season two yet so offer no opinion of my own on that season.
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on Channel Snore..... So probably not.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Having now stuck with it despite reservations from episodes 7/8 I can confirm that for me it was not worth sticking it out for..

It became more and more divorced from reality, people did things that made no sense, motivations again were not belivable.

So many plot holes to contend with and I did not find the lead convincing at all...

The soap opera stuff that we are led to belive is "charachter development" is also cliched and been done a million times

So all in all a big disappointment :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dunravin wrote: »
    Having now stuck with it despite reservations from episodes 7/8 I can confirm that for me it was not worth sticking it out for..

It became more and more divorced from reality, people did things that made no sense, motivations again were not belivable.

So many plot holes to contend with and I did not find the lead convincing at all...

The soap opera stuff that we are led to belive is "charachter development" is also cliched and been done a million times

So all in all a big disappointment :(

Pretty well everything you said is wrong-headed, but thanks for sharing anyway.
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it 2 or 3 episodes at a time as some of them were very slow and not a lot seemed to happen. Found it the better way of watching. Stick with it and it is very good.

Looking forward to the second series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Pretty well everything you said is wrong-headed, but thanks for sharing anyway.

I would not say so.....there are plot holes, there are people doing things that are not real or realistic, there are situations that could not possibly happen...FACT!

However, if you can overlook these things and enjoy it, then that is when a show becomes subjective. Becuase of what are flaws for me, meant I did not enjoy, however as long as you don't take it seriously and switch off then maybe it can be enjoyed for what it is.....each to their own

(but it's still rubbish :p)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an excellent show with some fantastic performances, especially Damien Lewis and Claire Danes.

I was slightly disappointed by the finale but still thought it was very well worth watching.
  • Options
    SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvfanclub wrote: »
    I thought it was an excellent show with some fantastic performances, especially Damien Lewis and Claire Danes.

I was slightly disappointed by the finale but still thought it was very well worth watching.

I was also a bit disappointed that the finale was not as explosive as it could have been but I understand they got a new season and so made it open ended so they can continue. Although I have to say Damian Lewis' struggle between his loyalty to his daughter and the loyalties he felt he owed others because of his treatment as a POW from both sides was well done and made it work for me. It did have some problems with it (what was the whole deer thing about? Some metaphor I missed about a harmless threat treading on some flowers and getting killed for a minor infringment on private American soil?) but Claire Danes acted her ass off to play a borderline psychopath trying to keep herself in check.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can people please STOP talking about plot points for a show which has yet to be shown in the UK! :rolleyes:

If you want to discuss the finale or other points stick to the US pace!
  • Options
    SoulpuncherSoulpuncher Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Talk about stepping out on a limb...

Homeland was reasonably entertaining but it's a long way from being a masterpiece. Ok TV, nothing more.

Having watched it I have to agree with this comment. Pretty overrated on the whole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been recording these, not watched them yet. Could someone who's seen the whole season tell me if there is any gratuitous sex scenes ala True Blood.

Personally I don't have a problem with them but it makes for uncomfortable family viewing :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been recording these, not watched them yet. Could someone who's seen the whole season tell me if there is any gratuitous sex scenes ala True Blood.

Personally I don't have a problem with them but it makes for uncomfortable family viewing :p

Lots and lots of sex, but I disagree with the people who call the sex "gratuitous.":) Do avoid watching with family, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After only 2 episodes I think the sex has been contextual as in it moves the story on or fits into the scene. The bit I thought was slightly weird until they said what the job was for was the bit with the topless girl being interviewed lol.

It depends what you like in a programme I like slow burners that grow and I hope it picks up pace near the end and is like the US version of The Killing which exploded in the last episode
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion this show is massively overrated. It's definitely a good show for the first couple episodes, but after a while it's like one twist too many and it's formulaic in a way I find hard to tolerate in a premium cable show.

What annoys me the most is people call it the best new show of 2011 like Game of Thrones never happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Homeland is good but its not on the same level as Breaking Bad, The Wire etc.

I cant help but keep thinking damien lewis is misscast. His acting and look just doesnt fit the show. I would have preferred Kiether Sutherland.

Saul is a great character though.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw the 1st 15 mins or so and I thought it was dreadful
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that was Upstairs Downstairs... :D
  • Options
    j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I have only watched the first two episodes and i'm hooked and so is DH.. and it's rare when we agree on TV selection!! Will see how it develops though it's early days...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well I have only watched the first two episodes and i'm hooked and so is DH..

Who is "DH?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Who is "DH?"

Dear Husband :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dear Husband :eek:

Never heard that before. Must be a British thing.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In spoiler tags a question:
    Sniper forcing people inside where someone else blows them to kingdom come. I'm sure I have seen something like that before in a movie or another tv-series. Does anybody know the film or the series? Much obliged.
  • Options
    highnalhighnal Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots and lots of sex, but I disagree with the people who call the sex "gratuitous.":) Do avoid watching with family, though.

I think "lots and lots" is a bit of an exaggeration. It's not on the level of Spartacus. I think maybe 2 or so scenes in each of the first few episodes. Some naked breasts too.

From what I remember, the nudity and sex does get dialed down from the 4th episode on though. Maybe a few isolated scenes but nothing gratuitous.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PR0J3CT wrote: »
    In my opinion this show is massively overrated. It's definitely a good show for the first couple episodes, but after a while it's like one twist too many and it's formulaic in a way I find hard to tolerate in a premium cable show.

What annoys me the most is people call it the best new show of 2011 like Game of Thrones never happened.

It wasnt even the best new show of 2011 on Showtime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    An excellent idea (although based on something else, I believe?) and very well acted but something just didn't click for me. I thought I had lost track a few times, maybe I did, but the show just wasn't that impressive. The ending wasn't good either, S2 in mind.