Anyone know how fit an air conditioner pipe through the window correctly?

BowdonBowdon Posts: 705
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to buy an air conditioner and set it up correctly with the pipe out of the window.

I'm trying to figure out when the pipe is out of the window, what do people use to block off the excess space around the pipe?

All the videos I've seen on youtube are Americans attaching the AC Unit to the window. I've seen how these work and it is very simple. But I have the standard white plastic windows that open outwards (one window at each end opens out).

Does anyone have any advice, or directions to point me in to figure this out. I currently have a dyson bladeless fan going. It's better than a regular fan but its struggling in my room with the computers in it.

Comments

• CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave your windows alone. The single unit ones used in America are low end spec units mainly used by people with too little space. They are hardly available at all in the UK. If you start tampering with your windows you will lose efficiency and possibly in some cases invalidate your home insurance for security reasons.

The right way to do it is to buy a split unit and feed the pipes outside using a hole in the wall drilled with a core drill. It's possible, but harder work, to chip out bricks then cut them to the right size before refixing with mortar.

I would perhaps look at your setup in a different way. Do you need so much computing going to generate as much heat as you describe? If it's crucial, then could you simply just vent your system case either outside or into your loft if it's upstairs? That would remove the heat from your room. Air conditioners cost a lot to run and really I cannot see much point in them in the UK other than them being a peculiar status symbol in the suburbs.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    as far as i know,air con units are not suitable for casement opening windows, only sliding or sash windows,but I'm sure someone,somewhere must have managed it
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just stick the pipe out the window and close the window as close as we can. The few inches it stays open makes little difference to the cost of running it.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it. Most of them come with some foam sheeting you can use but it's pretty ineffective. If it's for a bedroom then allowing outside air to come in may be helpful.

The reason is that since the air-conditioner is blowing air out of the room through the vent there's going to be suction drawing air into the room to replace it. The outside air in the UK will always be cooler than the internal house temperature at nighttime so it's better to draw the air in from outside than from the rest of the house. It might even be worth leaving the other windows open to help with that process. You're unlikely to draw the vented hot air back in because it is being pushed away and will rise.

Of course during the day this isn't the case after about 10am so for use in a living area it's best to minimise air inflow from outside. But still - a gap around the pipe isn't going to make all that much difference.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A split aircon unit is essential on hot humid sticky nights. Get one installed. You wont regret it.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a basic unit (two actually) and just block up the window as best as I can. It probably isn't very efficient, sure, but both work just fine.

One day we will put in a split system and that will likely manage to cool most of upstairs if positioned properly (I can live with the heat downstairs as trying to cool the whole house would be expensive). If I can work in the office and sleep, that's all I need.

Fans are a waste of time. I bought my first aircon unit over ten years ago - it's still going strong (probably could do with more gas, mind) and yet I still have to convince people it's worth getting air conditioning for a home in the UK! Just don't buy during a heatwave!
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I bought my first aircon unit over ten years ago - it's still going strong (probably could do with more gas, mind) and yet I still have to convince people it's worth getting air conditioning for a home in the UK! Just don't buy during a heatwave!
    Very similar to me. They aren't as expensive to run as a lot of people think either. Perhaps 50p overall on a hot night, or for a hot afternoon/evening. Over the course of a typical British summer it's probably less than £20.
  • swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    A split aircon unit is essential on hot humid sticky nights. Get one installed. You wont regret it.

In what country, certainly not the UK.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,884
    Forum Member
    The last two summers in particular have made me start thinking about a cheap AC solution for July/Early August - mainly to sleep better at night, not necessarily for daytime usage.

The previous 3 or 4 summers were very mild in comparison.
  • BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 15 years ago we used a bit of plastic/wood which the hose fitted through and slotted the whole thing into the window space. Must admit that was a complete faff but better than none as the heat doesn't escape properly. (we lived in a really humid area). The pipe still gets really hot mind.

Edit: we got this idea from my parents who did the same technique but for the exhaust pipe from their tumble dryer.

Then we moved and drilled a hole through the wall to the outside for the main pipe and a small one for the drip tube if there is no collecting bucket. sometimes this would be full before the morning.

Then we upgraded to a proper unit recently, essential for computer heat output as you say or for sleeping.

The modern units are really efficient you don't need to run them all the time.

So nice, cool and secure.