The Tennis Thread (Part 28)

Comments

• tomp94tomp94 Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Well Murray dun' it. Wouldn't have minded Murray losing that second set though, for entertainment purposes.

Onwards and upwards!!!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Gael.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Petra very impressive today and Heather really held her nerve. Laura showed some promising signs and were it not for the double faults, could easily have taken it to a third. I think she will climb the rankings quickly. She's such a big match player so the slams suit her.

None of the men have impressed me very much. Tsonga taking it to five sets again, as if he gets paid by the minute. Murray looked very tentative and against a top player he'll be punished on that form. Nadal seems to get slower between points in every match - at one point they showed his average time between points to be 26 seconds. That's average, so he's obviously taking even longer after some points. He could easily lose in the next few rounds. He seems to have developed a choke closing out sets, so good thing he had a buffer break in the first. As someone said earlier, bizarrely he seems more comfortable at net than baseline.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,263
    Forum Member
    Alize shoved onto a court with no feed. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bagel to end the match for Caro.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Bouchard out! 7-6 6-4 her ranking will dive bomb now:o:o:o.

She probably needs to take some time out or step down a level for a while just to try and get some practice at winning games again. Cut out all the distractions and try being nice to people for a bit! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That should have been match over. Poor umpiring.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabine Lisicki wins 7-5 6-4.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bedene in a 5 set battle with Steps.
  • tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedene in a 5 set battle with Steps.

Ah, but can Sue say his name!? If she has trouble with Liam, what's the chances she'll get Alijaz Bedene right? :p

Happy Caro came back in style.

Ward 2-1 up in sets.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,884
    Forum Member
    Although Robson lost today you could tell she has major potential, if she got consistent with her serve and moved/anticipated just a little bit better she could be a top 20 player I reckon. I think a lot will depend on how much she really wants it over the next year or 2.

Watson on the other hand is mostly maximising her ability already I think - I'm not sure I see her transforming her game much beyond what she currently has. Although, Halep is similar height and has developed a more powerful game over the last 2 years (despite losing today) so it is possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Berdyman in a battle with Chardy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This could be an Abercrombie & Fitch commercial on No. 1 Court. :D
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Although Robson lost today you could tell she has major potential, if she got consistent with her serve and moved/anticipated just a little bit better she could be a top 20 player I reckon. I think a lot will depend on how much she really wants it over the next year or 2.

If her serve was just averagely consistent she would have been top 20-ish before she got injured.
    Watson on the other hand is mostly maximising her ability already I think - I'm not sure I see her transforming her game much beyond what she currently has. Although, Halep is similar height and has developed a more powerful game over the last 2 years (despite losing today) so it is possible.

Heather always looks as though she's just about to get to a consistent level of winning a couple of rounds in slams and beating "ordinary" players in other tournaments but then has disappointing setbacks. I agree she probably can't get much further than she has but I would like to be proved wrong. :)
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,550
    Forum Member
    I think Heather is trying to add more attacking style to her game, I hope it succeeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Wonder what Laura thinks of bouchards poor run of form. Would love to know why they fell out?
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Doubt she's given it a second thought.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »

I feared for her after the annihilation at Eastbourne but there was glimpses of the pre-injury Robson and she was constantly berating herself. Shame there were so many errors such as double faults on advantages.

Hopefully she'll be able to get back up the rankings again. Could be slow progress though. I read somewhere that they reckon it takes almost as long to get back to your level before an injury as the time away from the game itself.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,550
    Forum Member
    Well done James Ward.
  • tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So: Andy, Ward, Bedene and L Broady through, and Heather as well.

I saw that Serena/Venus pulled out the doubles, so Konta and her partner get lucky losers to play against.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go Wardy.

I loved how the umpire pronounced his name Warde, which sounded a bit like Wardy. I thought he was getting a bit over familiar! :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done James Ward.

Hope Bedene will be joining him in a minute. And he's broken. Just needs to hold serve now.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Jeremy Chardy, phew.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    C5sucks wrote: »
    Wonder what Laura thinks of bouchards poor run of form. Would love to know why they fell out?

According to the Mail, they fell out over former coach Nick Saviano, but it's the Mail, and it spends the first half of the article talking about how her 'oiled thighs' (Eugenie's) could 'crack walnuts' and how her twitter is flirtatious and provocative (it isn't), so yeah, make of that what you will...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And Bedene is through.
This discussion has been closed.