Options

Prawns...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
Forum Member
I nearly bought a tray of prawns on special offer at Morrisons today but... I was put off by threads of 'black bits' . Sorry (especially to anyone thats about to eat prawns) but is this..well .. how to say it???? Prawn poo! I figured it was and it made me put them back!

I have never really thought about it before and have happily indulged in prawn cocktail , noodles with prawns etc..but now that it has occured to me I fear I may never eat them again!:eek:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Yes - it is the intestinal tract of a prawn, but when you prepare them you slice down the edge of the prawn and cut it out. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/1062/preparing-prawns

If you've eaten prawns before and not seen the black thread, then they're probably pre-prepared and it's been removed already so don't worry, you probably haven't eaten it.

Anyway, don't be squeamish! Prawns are lovely and low fat, so good for anyone's diet!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing you've never eaten oysters.......:D
  • Options
    the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you buy sausages instead?
    Instead of buying poo, buy the thing it comes out of! :)
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a bar and bowls of freshly cooked king prawns were being put out as freebies. An acquaintance took a prawn popped into his mouth, head and all, no shelling first. I almost gagged into my lager, I think it was the thought of him chowing down on the eyes. Eeugh!
  • Options
    bertiebottbertiebott Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I find it criminal to eat prawns without some prawn sauce! Not that I think that the taste of prawns without prawn sauce is bad, I just think that the taste of prawns with prawn sauce is so much better!
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bertiebott wrote: »
    I find it criminal to eat prawns without some prawn sauce! Not that I think that the taste of prawns without prawn sauce is bad, I just think that the taste of prawns with prawn sauce is so much better!

What is prawn sauce?
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    What is prawn sauce?

Marie rose I presume.
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try cooking fresh prawns the Mozambican way. Butterfly them, de-vein the black thread, fry gently in a mix of butter and olive oil until prawns turn pink. Serve with rice, chips and salad and a choice of garlic/lemon butter or piri piri sauce. Deelicious!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try cooking fresh prawns the Mozambican way. Butterfly them, de-vein the black thread, fry gently in a mix of butter and olive oil until prawns turn pink. Serve with rice, chips and salad and a choice of garlic/lemon butter or piri piri sauce. Deelicious!!
    I don't mean to make you think "Eww, gross!" or anything, but I actually don't mind eating the prawns with the black thread still in them! :p
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    bertiebott wrote: »
    I don't mean to make you think "Eww, gross!" or anything, but I actually don't mind eating the prawns with the black thread still in them! :p

For me, the thought of eating prawns at all is "eww, gross!" never mind any black thread *shudder* *vomit smilie*
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to buy prawns whole to shell at home. Sometimes I remove the black bit other times I can't be bothered. But of vinegar on them and you don't notice anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love prawns but I can't eat those farmed prawns, very allergic to them. :(
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just buy the smaller Nth Atlantic prawns. A more environmentally friendly option and the turds are but a trifle.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand what peoples issues are with this tbh.
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing you've never eaten oysters.......:D
    When I get to Heaven I'm going to only eat oysters and prawns, and maybe very occasionally lobster and calamari:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that the poo in prawns is a delicacy in some countries, they fight over it.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure that the poo in prawns is a delicacy in some countries, they fight over it.:eek:
    When I was at school, I was put off prawns for a short period after one of my friends telling me that prawns poo in your mouth as soon as you bite into them! :eek:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    As a big fan of whitebait I'm not really going to get too upset about a bit of poo in a prawn.