Boxing

Comments

• Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All but confirmed that Golovkin fights Murray in February next year. Outside of Cotto (fight will never happen I reckon; Cotto isn't a fool) and Alvarez it's probably the best we could've hoped for. Murray isn't spectacular but he's huge for a middleweight and I don't think I've ever seen him particularly troubled, so it will be interesting to see how GGG inevitably breaks him.

Sad to see Katsidis tonight. Hope he retires for good this time.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great night for Hull boxing last night, just a shame both Luke and Tommy are same weight
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with all those saying it's too early to call AJ as world champ. Wasn't too long ago I was questioning on here wether David Price was the real deal because of the standard of his opposition, amount of rounds under his belt and the fact that he'd never been really whacked. And we all know the answers to those questions now. IMO assuming he keeps winning, AJ is two fights away from the winner of Fury V Chisora and maybe five away from a HW world title shot.

GGG is a natural middleweight and I think it's too late in the day for him to adjust either up or down. I feel for him a bit having to chase other better-known fighters. Probably the most effective puncher in the ring today but not a huge star outside boxing. Will probably have to retire without fighting any of the really big names. Shame.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40 years since the Rumble in the Jungle

I remember waking up to listen to Harry Carpenter on the radio (Radio 2, I guess)

There's a special tribute program on Radio 5 this evening at 7.30 (That will be available as a Podcast I would thick)
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    40 years since the Rumble in the Jungle

I remember waking up to listen to Harry Carpenter on the radio (Radio 2, I guess)

There's a special tribute program on Radio 5 this evening at 7.30 (That will be available as a Podcast I would thick)

...heard 30 mins worth but disappointed. Could have done with more of Harry Carpenters commentary. The pundits somehow managed to make one of the greatest sporting events very bland-infact it was like listening to paint dry at times.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    ...heard 30 mins worth but disappointed. Could have done with more of Harry Carpenters commentary. The pundits somehow managed to make one of the greatest sporting events very bland-infact it was like listening to paint dry at times.

Tend to agree with you

Was expecting a lot better especially since Mike Costello is my favourite sports commentator
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    What are the general thoughts on Tony Bellew ? He comes across as a bit of a numpty.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    What are the general thoughts on Tony Bellew ? He comes across as a bit of a numpty.

Can sell a fight more on his way with words than the quality of his boxing. Will always be a contender at world level but not quite good enough to be a champion.
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Can sell a fight more on his way with words than the quality of his boxing. Will always be a contender at world level but not quite good enough to be a champion.

I missed their first fight , was it close ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed their first fight , was it close ?

From memory I had it as a draw. Was a good fight.

Bellew's antics are cringeworthy. I don't know if it's through trying to drum up interest in a poor PPV, or if he's psyching himself up, or what, but it's just a constant stream of nonsense. Unfortunately I've got the suspicion that Cleverly hasn't got his heart in boxing anymore and Bellew will win.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I can't stand him.

He seems to think he's an intimidating, big-punching knockout machine when he's nothing of the sort. A decidedly average fighter.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His pre-fight persona is totally at odds with his apparent intelligence & articulate nature.

When you hear him as a pundit, he's really good, insightful & articulate, pointing to a man with more than two brain cells to rub togther, but when he's fighting himself, he becomes a complete idiot pre-fight.

He must be putting it on, but someone of his intelligence would know when to put a sock in it.

It's all very strange to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Hopkins manages to do the business against Kovalev where would the DS panel rank him? For longetivity, toughness and utter dedication for me he is already an all-time great. I suspect this fight will be a bridge too far, and the Alien's only chance is to take Kovalev into unknown terrority of 8+ rounds, but Hopkins loves to make a fool of bookies and I had to have a punt on him at 2/1 with Hills. Apparently you can get 12/5 elsewhere.
  • Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going for a Kovalev win. He's too sharp, quick and powerful. Could Hopkins get knocked out for the first time in his career? Possibly.

Hopkins knows all the tricks though and can fight dirty when he's up against it, as he did when he lost against Joe Calzaghe.

Should be a classic encounter of two very different styles.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    I'm going for a Kovalev win. He's too sharp, quick and powerful. Could Hopkins get knocked out for the first time in his career? Possibly.

Hopkins knows all the tricks though and can fight dirty when he's up against it, as he did when he lost against Joe Calzaghe.

Should be a classic encounter of two very different styles.

Don't know about that, imo if Kovalev wins it will probably be within the distance, if B-Hop wins it'll be through spoiling. Don't see it being a tear up, should be interesting either way. My moneys on Kovalev, just think he'll be too strong and aggressive for Hopkins at this stage of his life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't keep my eyes open for the Hopkins fight despite Steve Bunce and his fellow Box nation pundits giving the build up as large as possible ;-)

Hopkins fights tend to be spoilfests anyway. If the fight goes the distance highlights reel will probably only last a round ....
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Seems like it was an absolutely dominant points win for Kovalev to the point one judge had it scored 120-106 (other 2 judges scored it 120-107)
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Seems like it was an absolutely dominant points win for Kovalev to the point one judge had it scored 120-106 (other 2 judges scored it 120-107)

someone on the radio just mentioned that Hopkins turned pro whilst the Berlin Wall was still up

That does make it seem a long time ago :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »

It was. It was only Hopkins' reputation and Kovalev's mistrust of his own conditioning which meant that it went 12 rounds - Kovalev could have put his foot down and had him out of there any round he wanted to.

Reminder that Tony Bellew doesn't rate Kovalev and says that "there's a reason" that Hopkins chose to fight him, which will all be revealed. We're waiting with baited breath, Tony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was. It was only Hopkins' reputation and Kovalev's mistrust of his own conditioning which meant that it went 12 rounds - Kovalev could have put his foot down and had him out of there any round he wanted to.

Reminder that Tony Bellew doesn't rate Kovalev and says that "there's a reason" that Hopkins chose to fight him, which will all be revealed. We're waiting with baited breath, Tony.

Is that the same Tony Bellew who couldn't beat the same Nathan Cleverley who got destroyed by the same Kovalev? lmao What a giant douche the man really is.

We need Kovalev/Stevenson now, I need to see the pimp get KTFO. Would love to see the division unified as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By all accounts, Hopkins lost and lost badly, but he somehow still won. ;-) Apparently he took a vicious beating in the last round and the ref could have stopped it at any time but Hopkins stood his ground and went out on his shield. Kovalev suprised me by how well he is said to have lasted the distance and the smart strategy he used which didn't allow Hopkins to bring out his bag of dirty tricks.

Bellow is a bag of wind when he calls out other fighters. Much as I love Ali, he didn't half inspire some trash-talking idiots...
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kovalev was extremely impressive.

He's shown that he is more than just a puncher.

Nobody has ever dominated Bernard Hopkins like that & although Bernard is fast closing in on 219 years old, he's still a world class 175lber.

I was unsure about how a Kovalev -v- Stephenson bout would pan out, but now I'm firmly in the Kovalev camp for the win, if that fight was ever to materialise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kovalev was extremely impressive.

He's shown that he is more than just a puncher.

Nobody has ever dominated Bernard Hopkins like that & although Bernard is fast closing in on 219 years old, he's still a world class 175lber.

I was unsure about how a Kovalev -v- Stephenson bout would pan out, but now I'm firmly in the Kovalev camp for the win, if that fight was ever to materialise.

I don't think Stevenson could beat Hopkins never mind Kovalev. Apparently Adonis was supposed to be ringside last night, hope he was wearing brown trousers :D
    Seriously, I think he's a few levels below Kovalev and a fight between the two would be a demolition. Adonis doesn't have Hopkins' defence or chin and at 37 isn't young either.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't keep my eyes open for the Hopkins fight despite Steve Bunce and his fellow Box nation pundits giving the build up as large as possible ;-)

Hopkins fights tend to be spoilfests anyway. If the fight goes the distance highlights reel will probably only last a round ....

round 12 was the only decent round to watch. absolute boring fight but good performance from kovalev.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    round 12 was the only decent round to watch. absolute boring fight but good performance from kovalev.

I was pretty enthralled by it tbh because I've never seen Hopkins dominated like that and never thought I would do.