Options

what do people think of Inter-racial dating?

Comments

• Options
    Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    I don't see that skin colour or race makes any difference whatsoever... unless one puts obstacles in one's way that needn't be there at all.

I'm Asian (mainly) by descent, born and bred in England. My fiance is an Australian of German descent, we've been together happily for 11 years. Where we come from is irrelevant, really. What matters is the people we are and how we feel about one another.

The vast majority of my family members over the last seven decades have been in mixed race marriages.

lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kittiara wrote: »
    My sister 's boyfriend is mixed race (white Dutch and black Antillian parents). She's white Dutch. They've been together for over a year now, and have been living together since a few months ago.

Unfortunately, their relationship has brought the racists out of the woodwork, within the family and her circle of friends. That saddens me.

They're two people who are in love, and that's all that matters. I hope they'll have a wonderful future together.

Just would love for them not to have to deal with the unpleasant comments.

By any chance, is this couple and their friends in their 30s or over?
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Nuartey1 wrote: »
    And I hope you're not one of those horrible people who make interracial couples' lives miserable when they're walking down the street.

It's only 06:00 and already you're bringing out the thinly veiled accusations of racism against someone who just happens to have a different view to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    It's only 06:00 and already you're bringing out the thinly veiled accusations of racism against someone who just happens to have a different view to you.

No one has accused anyone of racism, babe.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I draw the line at Klingon women.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have written - it's about the person not their colour.
  • Options
    Pick and MixPick and Mix Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    My fiancée is white
  • Options
    ///A\\\///A\\\ Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I live in south London, it's quite common and mostly accepted. I guess it could be a problem in areas of the country where they don't see many people of a different race. I know some races are quite against interracial dating and marriage, but there are bigots in all races. There are also some who feel you should stick with a certain religion when dating and marriage, which in some cases relates to a particular race as well. I've been on dates with every race, I do have a particular type I'm drawn to the most and it's not my own race. I think children from interracial relationships are on the whole very attractive looking, if interracial relationships were against nature the children would look unpleasant, to put the species off interracial breeding.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I see no problem. I do though find that white women marrying into asian families find it toughest to be accepted by them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    I see no problem. I do though find that white women marrying into asian families find it toughest to be accepted by them.

Which part of Asia? I know a number of white women with Thai/Chinese men....never been much of an issue.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Which part of Asia? I know a number of white women with Thai/Chinese men....never been much of an issue.

Pakistan and the like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Pakistan and the like.

Ah ok. I think generally those who follow Islam will have the biggest problem with it. To be even considered the other half must convert to Islam, its not generally the same for Hindu's or Sikhs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had relationships with africian and japanese women and couldn't give a monkeys what people thought or whether they accepted it. Had a few comments when I dated a black girl whilst living in a narrow minded hill billy town in Northumberland but other than that nothing.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone is still asking this q in the 21stC, but there you go.

Although where I grew up, a 'mixed marriage' was deemed to be anyone adventurous enough to marry someone from the next village, where they had a totally different accent (to us, probably would sound identical to anyone else). My mother horrifed an entire village by marrying a man from Leeds - 15 miles away. The hussy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,030
    Forum Member
    I draw the line at Klingon women.

Lol:D
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By any chance, is this couple and their friends in their 30s or over?

My sister's 22, and most of her friends are around that age. Her boyfriend is 35. On his side, though, nobody seems to have a problem with him dating my sister. And his family have been very welcoming to her.

In my family, it has been mostly the older generation who have issues with it. Which is strange, because it's not the first inter-racial relationship in the family, but the other couple lives on the other end of the country and out of sight, out of mind, I guess?
  • Options
    LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    No one has accused anyone of racism, babe.

And if you had it wouldn't exactly be a leap of logic.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol :D
    What's funny about Sara Webb's post? I don't get the joke :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had relationships with africian and japanese women and couldn't give a monkeys what people thought or whether they accepted it. Had a few comments when I dated a black girl whilst living in a narrow minded hill billy town in Northumberland but other than that nothing.

lol that doesn't surprise me one bit, what hilly billy town? I live in rural North Northumberland (though I'm not a native) and I find it sometimes hard to hold my tongue! Though saying that, some of them refer to Southerners as "foreigners" so what do you expect?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm being perfectly honest, inter-racial relationships do not bother me in the slightest. I have casually dated a couple of black and mixed-race guys. Before I settled down and got married, it wouldn't have bothered me if the guy I fell for was black, white, Asian whatever. It's not about color, it's about the person inside.

However, I think I wouldn't have ever settled down with a muslim guy, unless him and his family weren't particularly serious about it. I wouldn't have fit into the culture at all and from what I've seen with friends etc, you have to conform to a certain extent and it's generally expected that you convert to Islam or at the very least any children you have are brought up in the Islamic faith. Not that this is specific to Islam, but I think it's taken more seriously. I also like my bacon butties too much :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    meroko wrote: »
    lol that doesn't surprise me one bit, what hilly billy town? I live in rural North Northumberland (though I'm not a native) and I find it sometimes hard to hold my tongue! Though saying that, some of them refer to Southerners as "foreigners" so what do you expect?

It was the shire of Hexham. Came out the forces, mother moved up past there so that was the nearest town. It is quite a perculuar place to be honest, they're very old world shall I say. Beautiful place to be honest, shame about quite a few of the inhabitants there :rolleyes:
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger I dated Asian guys, Afro Caribbean, African, guys from...Israel, Iran, Greece, Bahrain, Turkey and more. My Dad used to say it was like the United Nations round at ours.

It was normal to me, as I had many friends of all different cultures and races. I never saw the colour or where they were from...it was just about if we got on and I fancied them. People are people and I fall for the person, not the colour of skin. I did get a lot of hassle from some of their families though, whether I was in a serious relationship or just casually dating.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    It was the shire of Hexham. Came out the forces, mother moved up past there so that was the nearest town. It is quite a perculuar place to be honest, they're very old world shall I say. Beautiful place to be honest, shame about quite a few of the inhabitants there :rolleyes:

Are they little with hairy feet? :p

Im english , born here so was my father who is english but met and fell in love with my mother while working in iran, my mother is iranian. Ive dated white, black, mixed race etc but I've never dated anyone who is indian not sure why i'm just not attracted i guess.
  • Options
    rickgellisonrickgellison Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    It's not for me. I like my Coffee with milk but I am not against it.

There was a study done last week and published on the BBC. It said children from mixed race relationships reached academic levels more than any other 10 year old. White children were 2nd in the study and I think black children were 6th behind Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistanni children.

I believe if mixed race relationships are giving black children a chance in life then so be it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed they are. They are a mixed breed themselves people from the shire, if you were to give them a hoof they'd float of the rainbow for they are nothing but little leprichuans :D

Womans a woman for me regardless of colour, nationality or anything.