Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shit film made worse with advertising :yawn:
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh deepest joy, I must clear my sunday evening schedule to revisit the hunt for Unobtanium.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen this yet.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen this yet.

Damn!!!!!

My post was gonna say -Who hasn't seen this yet?

You......obviously.
  • highnalhighnal Posts: 2,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it in 3D on the big screen - the only way I can imagine it could be watched for it to be enjoyable.

Will be catching it on C4 to see how it translates on the TV and in 2D.
  • wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Most overrated film of all time, it's basically a 3 hour advert for CGI and 3D!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wodder18 wrote: »
    Most overrated film of all time, it's basically a 3 hour advert for CGI and 3D!

Hmmmmm, bit extreme opinion.

It may be overrated but there's no denying that Avatar was an outstanding cinema "experience" regardless of its faults.

And as for your "3 hour advert" theory - bit silly really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highnal wrote: »
    I saw it in 3D on the big screen - the only way I can imagine it could be watched for it to be enjoyable.

Will be catching it on C4 to see how it translates on the TV and in 2D.

Not very well at all IMHO.

I got 35 minutes through the Bluray and turned it off, I can get equally good computer graphics on a PS3 game, and at least with something like Mass Effect 3 you get a decent story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, bit extreme opinion.

It may be overrated but there's no denying that Avatar was an outstanding cinema "experience" regardless of its faults.

And as for your "3 hour advert" theory - bit silly really.

Not as silly as you might think, it's certainly not there as an example of good storytelling, which surely should be the most important facet of any film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as silly as you might think, it's certainly not there as an example of good storytelling, which surely should be the most important facet of any film.

It's there because technology advances and film-makers use it in many forms to enhance the cinema experience - which is just as important as the story. A film with a good story is all well and good but the all round experience matters too.

Stating that Avatar was just an advert for CGI and 3D is a little OTT.
    Surely the re-releases of Titanic and Phatom Menace are more worthy of that accusation.
    At least Avatar was an original film/story taking advantage of modern day technology.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    OP I am not sure I would use the term 'finally' Avatar was released less than 2 and a half years ago - movies are getting onto terrestrial tv far quicker now than they used to. 15-20 years ago wasn't the gap from cinema to terrestrial normally around 4-5 years?
  • wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Maybe if Avatar had put as much effort into the story as it did with the special effects than it might have been a half decent film. You can have all the special effects in the world but it's no substitute for a good story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Never had the chance to see this before, so I'll set the Freeview box to record it. Thanks for letting us know. :)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still on Sky. Last 3D showing was yesterday and final 2d on Thursday.

C4 three days later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wodder18 wrote: »
    Maybe if Avatar had put as much effort into the story as it did with the special effects than it might have been a half decent film. You can have all the special effects in the world but it's no substitute for a good story.

Yes, maybe if it had a story as good as Final Destination 5 ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55936246&highlight=#post55936246
    Post #6

And Paranormal Activity:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53668318&highlight=#post53668318
    Post #5
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying that Avatar is overrated....is overrated.

Its a very enjoyable film, but there is no way I'm going to sit through it on channel 4 with adverts every 5 minutes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i seen it..i got it my nephew for christmas..so i watched it when i was down there :)..So i bet theres loads of adverts, need loads of ads to go the loo..i had to keep pausing it for the kettle and toilet trips :D
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Densino wrote: »
    Saying that Avatar is overrated....is overrated.

Its a very enjoyable film, but there is no way I'm going to sit through it on channel 4 with adverts every 5 minutes!

This..

Dont get the hate for this film, no matter what your opinion of it is, it was and still is a groundbreaking film from a technological aspect. i saw this in imax 3d, and it was jaw dropping. It was a true movie going experience.

Of course the film has its flaws, A simple basic storyline for starters, but in hindsight im glad, I dont think my brain could have coped with a super intricate storyline with all the 3d being flung at me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the effects were great but thats about all for this film. I don't even find the 3D for it that great either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I can get equally good computer graphics on a PS3 game

You really, really can't. I'm an pretty big gamer and i've not seen anything even approaching Avatar levels of CGI on a PS3/360, or even on a high end PC (yet).

As for how the film translates to 2D, i thought it fared well. The Blu Ray is one of the best looking Blu Ray's i've seen, it's reference quality. Watch it in HD and it can still look spectacular even without the 3D (admittedly though, it doesn't look quite as good in standard definition on DVD).
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can tell this thread is going to go on and on..... lol
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    It's not a film, it's a ride.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh deepest joy, I must clear my sunday evening schedule to revisit the hunt for Unobtanium.

Was it ever explained what its used for?or was it just one of those type of things lol
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    The mineral was so pointless, the military guys may as well have said "Ok guys....we are here on the CGI planet of Pandora, to mine this very vaguely defined object that is required to drive the contrived plot forward....let's go!"
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highnal wrote: »

The plot itself is supposed to enough for it to be enjoyable. At least that what Jim Cameron would have you believe.