Options

Older partners

AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently read an argument that a reason young men and women sometimes sought older partners was that they wanted a paternal or maternal figure. Do you think this is the case? In which case what does this say about older people who have much younger partners - is it empowering to have someone younger or just a bit desperate because you can't pull someone your own age?

Comments

• Options
    Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wanna know something? I don't care. I really don't, I don't look at couples in the street and analyse them in my head, because I've got more important things to think about.

However I'll give it a couple of minutes just for this post.

Do I think people with older partners have mummy or daddy issues? I have no idea and neither does anyone else, it's one of those generalisations we people like to throw around. Shrinks do it too and they're just guessing most of the time and trying to make problems in people's heads fit in with some theory they learned at university.

And as for older people who have younger partners, well nobody really knows about that either do they? Most of the time it's probably quite nice to feel that you can pull someone younger. In the past few years I've had relationships with people 10 years older and also 10 years younger than me, plus one with someone who was around the same age. We all like different stuff, arre attracted to different people, we're this amazing diverse species that does all sorts of different things because we're all different. Trying to analyse us is a waste of time.
  • Options
    15Million℃15Million℃ Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about it may be they just like each other and leave it at that. Or are you looking for advice?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    or maybe that`s just the way it goes sometimes.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    I recently read an argument that a reason young men and women sometimes sought older partners was that they wanted a paternal or maternal figure. Do you think this is the case? In which case what does this say about older people who have much younger partners - is it empowering to have someone younger or just a bit desperate because you can't pull someone your own age?[/QUOTE]

how rude!
    I fell in love with someone who happened to be younger. all my other boyfriends have been older or the same age - it just so happens my OH is younger
    I love the PERSON
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner is 17 years younger than me. I totally love being a male cougar DILF type thing, however desperate that may be. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you generally find that most men are at least a bit older than their partners? No doubt there's some evolutionary explanation for it all.

There's a film I watched recently called 'whatever works'. It's mostly about a very old man going out with 21 year old girl. As the title goes: whatever works. Bugger what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I've always been attracted to older men. Analyse me if you like. *shrug*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner is 17 years younger than me. I totally love being a male cougar DILF type thing, however desperate that may be. ;)

Yeah there was a similar age gap between my mum and dad and it worked out ok for them :) It was actually cougars I was reading about that got me to make the thread. They're described on one hand as a new breed of confident sexy older women who know exactly what they want, and on the other the term gets described as a setback and is seen as quite demeaning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there was a similar age gap between my mum and dad and it worked out ok for them :) It was actually cougars I was reading about that got me to make the thread. They're described on one hand as a new breed of confident sexy older women who know exactly what they want, and on the other the term gets described as a setback and is seen as quite demeaning.
    I blame that warty mouthed Kim Cattrall for the demeaning stuff.

Actually, AnnaliseZ, I'm surprised you got such a negative reaction to your OP :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

thats also our age gap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    thats also our age gap
    Did you ever feel uncomfortable about that?

When we first got together I used to feel a little insecure about it, in terms of worrying if other people would think I was a bit of a perv and more importantly in terms of whether the relationship would last, on account of the age gap.

Those thoughts never enter my head now though and I couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you ever feel uncomfortable about that?

When we first got together I used to feel a little insecure about it, in terms of worrying if other people would think I was a bit of a perv and more importantly in terms of whether the relationship would last, on account of the age gap.

Those thoughts never enter my head now though and I couldn't be happier.

I was worried about the relationship lasting (its been almost 6 years now) - and I was worried about meeting his family and their reaction.

I didnt feel like a perv! A lot of reaction I got was very much 'good for you'. We live in London and you see much stranger combos of people Im sure!

His family were actually totally fine and I get on with them really well. And also in actual fact hes a lot more responsible then me about a lot of things also!
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dated a girl 10 years younger and it kinda put me off relationships with a large age difference. Our friends were very different and we hadn't shared the same cultural experiences growing up (eg. tv shows, music etc..). The biggest problem was what we wanted to do socially - she thought nothing of going out dancing on a Wednesday night to a club till 3am whereas I just wanted to crash on the sofa and watch the football... all these issues caused the split

But its good to see that it can work for people... I guess maybe we were just too different rather than the age gap being the problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame that warty mouthed Kim Cattrall for the demeaning stuff.

Actually, AnnaliseZ, I'm surprised you got such a negative reaction to your OP :)

lol - thanks ninja - I probably could have worded it differently :D
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I dated a girl 10 years younger and it kinda put me off relationships with a large age difference. Our friends were very different and we hadn't shared the same cultural experiences growing up (eg. tv shows, music etc..). The biggest problem was what we wanted to do socially - she thought nothing of going out dancing on a Wednesday night to a club till 3am whereas I just wanted to crash on the sofa and watch the football... all these issues caused the split

But its good to see that it can work for people... I guess maybe we were just too different rather than the age gap being the problem

But those issues could just as easily happen with a couple the same age. They're personality based not age based, surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I was worried about the relationship lasting (its been almost 6 years now) - and I was worried about meeting his family and their reaction.

I didnt feel like a perv! A lot of reaction I got was very much 'good for you'. We live in London and you see much stranger combos of people Im sure!

His family were actually totally fine and I get on with them really well. And also in actual fact hes a lot more responsible then me about a lot of things also!
    Ive never met my in-laws as they live 3000km away at the other end of the country, so that's probably the last big worry that I have. I only ever get the perv vibe from European people - age gaps really aren't a big thing in Brazil and I'm not exactly a sex tourist.

He's far more responsible than I'll ever be in most respects too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it perfectly natural because my dad was the original 40 year old virgin and 18 years older than my mum.

He lived to be a few months shy of 80, so had the best of both worlds really, a kind of double life. He quite liked a drink and was able to lead a fun, free and easy life without responsibility. Then, when he was ready to settle down and have a family, he met a 21 year old and married within a year.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    But those issues could just as easily happen with a couple the same age. They're personality based not age based, surely?

Not necessarily... 10 years previously I wouldn't have thought twice about heading out straight after work for an all-nighter and then got up the next morning for another day at the office... and I still would have done it but I just wasn't physically up for that... I tried but ended up like a zombie at work the next day
  • Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't something people like to talk about because it sounds yucky but the relationships you have with your parents wil often determine your sexual relationships with the opposite sex. Take for example women who had an absent/abusive/distant father. Because they have never experienced male affection before they have no standard by which to judge it and so often end up falling for unsuitable men. Men are also much better than women at spotting predatory males which is why fathers are often much less accepting of their daughters' boyfriends than mothers.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    My dad was 53 at the time he met his current wife, she was 36 at the time. I thought it was a bit weird then but not so much now.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband's 20 years older than me. I could tell you a million times that I don't have any 'daddy issues' whatsoever but there will always be some people who won't believe that. Oh well, the people who matter to me understand :)
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum's 16 years younger than my dad.

What are "Daddy issues?":confused:
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently read an argument that a reason young men and women sometimes sought older partners was that they wanted a paternal or maternal figure. Do you think this is the case? In which case what does this say about older people who have much younger partners - is it empowering to have someone younger or just a bit desperate because you can't pull someone your own age?

Oh, I expect older partners can pull someone their own age, but younger partners are more lively.
  • Options
    Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be bucking the trend because I am younger than my new partner :)
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve781 wrote: »
    This isn't something people like to talk about because it sounds yucky but the relationships you have with your parents wil often determine your sexual relationships with the opposite sex. Take for example women who had an absent/abusive/distant father. Because they have never experienced male affection before they have no standard by which to judge it and so often end up falling for unsuitable men. Men are also much better than women at spotting predatory males which is why fathers are often much less accepting of their daughters' boyfriends than mothers.

Actually the theorists identify the relationship with the primary caregiver as being the most influential in later life, there is no gender bias and it has nothing to do with girls having protective daddies.

A secure child will grow into a happy adult and have relationships which follow the same pattern of security. Chilren who are not secure will also follow the same pattern as they have lower expectations about relationships.

As for age gap relationships....who gives a stuff if its a good healthy one.