Options

Teacher might lose his job for pushing someone who spat at him

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's an incredibly difficult situation for any householder confronted by a group of kids who have singled him and his house out for harassment.

Just WTF does he or she do ? Phone the police ? ~ useless

Try reasoning with them ? useless

Film them in the act ? ~ get accused of being a paedophile

Track down where they live (if you can) and remonstrate with their parents ? ~ get a load of further abuse

Shout at them ? ~ get accused of overreacting. Concerned neighbour phones the police who will probably be round in 30 seconds

Hit them ? ~ all stinking hell breaks loose

Sorry to say but the householder is shafted utterly, totally and completely. There is nothing he or she can do, and the best way out of it is to leave.

This is why the last option is the only viable option.

It is a matter of law and that can readily be changed and will resolve the situation - as it used to when I was young.

If you can't even defend yourself and/or your home/property then kids growing up knowing they can "do what they like" will do the same as adults.

That world frightens me and it is happening already.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    That's not the worst that's happened to me. I had a student once throw a small block of wood at my head from about three feet away. It hit. He was isolated for a few days then marched down to apologise and was told that the student felt like I didn't like him.

It's all but impossible to get rid of a student.

There isn't the will either.

The pressure is both ways - the parents don't support, the management expect you to take it and get on with it - they don't want exclusions on their figures and they don't want to deal with the problems.

I'd get out of that school Psychosis - there are much easier ones around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not the worst that's happened to me. I had a student once throw a small block of wood at my head from about three feet away. It hit. He was isolated for a few days then marched down to apologise and was told that the student felt like I didn't like him.

It's all but impossible to get rid of a student.

It's all wrong. You shouldn't have to work in such conditions.

I salute you for it and am hopeful you don't encounter other such behaviour in your career but I have a feeling that you might, sadly.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    I've no time for people who can't appreciate the nuances of language, discussion and debate - particularly when they attempt to establish their view is morally superior but don't respond adequately to challenge.
    And you think that these nuances can be conveyed on a forum where responses are only typed and there is asynchronous communication?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    And you think that these nuances can be conveyed on a forum where responses are only typed and there is asynchronous communication?

Not always, no. But when a statement is made which is clearly quite extreme, I would always give someone the benefit of the doubt that actually, they didn't mean it literally.

If i really wasn't sure, I'd ask them if that was what they really meant.

What I wouldn't do is just ignore the rest of the discussion, which was moving on and hang on to that expression and use it as a shield to deflect from the rest of the discussion.

It is a poor debating/discussion tactic and tends to be used when people can't reasonably discuss what they've been presented with.

Happens incredibly frequently and becomes quite boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

I thought it was hyperbole, myself, and he's said as much.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused, the incident didn't happen at the school so why is it even relevant? Why is his job at risk when it didn't even take place at the place where he works?
    Seems stupid to me, expel the little brats and give the guy his job back, too many people only seem to care about the kids and forget that teachers are at risk too, though I think the teacher should have reported it to the police by now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I suddenly encountered a group of four year olds in here?
    Put the little *** in hospital.

you tell us ;)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I'm confused, the incident didn't happen at the school so why is it even relevant? Why is his job at risk when it didn't even take place at the place where he works?
    Seems stupid to me, expel the little brats and give the guy his job back, too many people only seem to care about the kids and forget that teachers are at risk too, though I think the teacher should have reported it to the police by now.

His job is at risk because he works with kids and has now received a criminal conviction.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not always, no. But when a statement is made which is clearly quite extreme, I would always give someone the benefit of the doubt that actually, they didn't mean it literally.
    You haven't been on DS very long then...
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't the will either.

The pressure is both ways - the parents don't support, the management expect you to take it and get on with it - they don't want exclusions on their figures and they don't want to deal with the problems.

I'd get out of that school Psychosis - there are much easier ones around.

My previous school, I was bullied by staff. Getting assaulted by students irritates me but it doesn't bother me that much. I'm happy here in spite of getting bruised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My previous school, I was bullied by staff. Getting assaulted by students irritates me but it doesn't bother me that much. I'm happy here in spite of getting bruised.

Some teachers in the more 'priveleged' end of the spectrum schools have too much bloody time on their hands and play the politics game. YUK.

Just watch yourself, don't get 'beaten down' by it all, or be afraid to demand support.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    'Macfarlane ended up at Barnsley Magistrates' Court last Tuesday, where he admitted assault and was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid community work'.

Community work? he should have got a commendation for services to the community.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's not going to happen though, is it. That is the reality, so we have to find another way forward.

If its never debated or at least discussed, even in forums like this, then the chances go from virtually zero to absolute zero!
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was he supposed to do? You can't discipline children anymore.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »

You can. You can discipline the mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »

The authorities should take action - not wring their hands and not get involved.

Once identified, those children who are part of a consistent, ongoing campaign of harrassment should be dealt with.

The parents and child should be warned, once unofficially, then, if it happens again, officially, and then the parents fined.

Somehow, we have to make sure the parents take responsibility for the behaviour of their offspring.

As no one seems to want to punish the children directly.

There will be outcry and all sorts of pathetic,crapulous moaning about it, but that should be borne and not pandered to.

That would sort out a hell of a lot of it.

Those parents who don't toe the line will have to be tested for their fitness.

Many of those who can't control their children NEED help and guidance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameras should be ALLOWED where this is happening.

Footage could be taken to local schools and they could help identify the children.

They will also have the names and addresses.

The whole community need to help. And the victim needs it to be done, mostly without their interference as that generally makes things worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can. You can discipline the mind.

And who's going to do that then? And whose responsibility is that?
  • Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who'd choose to be a teacher in this day and age. Must be an utterly thankless job.

When I think back to my school days I feel genuinely guilty for what we (as a collective of teenagers) put our teachers through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who'd choose to be a teacher in this day and age. Must be an utterly thankless job.

When I think back to my school days I feel genuinely guilty for what we (as a collective of teenagers) put our teachers through.

Most teachers understand ordinary bad behaviour, and children, and why they do it. And forgive them quite easily for basic teenage paininthearsism.

It's got a bit extreme though, these days, where the teacher is now very vulnerable, and the pressure to get these kids 'the grades' has increased.

It's got to change, it can't carry on indefinitely.

Mind, plenty of good schools out there, and loads of nice kids, but the minority is larger, and more protected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.wearebarnsley.com/news/article/3219/respected-teacher-appears-in-court-after-losing-his-cool
    Claire Jackson, prosecuting, said the 12-year-old victim was shaken but not seriously injured after being thrown into the hedge.

She said: "Mr Macfarlane came home and found his house had been pelted with snowballs. He was pelted with snowballs and was hit in the face and body.

"Later, he spotted two youths and told them to stay away. One of them, the victim, spat on the floor."

Macfarlane admitted assault. He was ordered to do 100 hours of unpaid work, to pay £50 in compensation, costs of £85 and a £60 victim surcharge.
    The victim lives Royston and was dropped off in Carlton 10 minutes before the attack, walking towards muck stack with a friend when a car pulled across the pavement the coward driver grabbed the 12 year old by the neck and head butted him in the face twice and threw him into a thorn bush-if a resident had not protested from an upstairs window he would have gone on to assault the other 12 year old
    The defendant has previous convictions the last 22 years ago. He cannot defend his actions as he is guilty and pleaded so-he can only go onto try damage limitation and come up with a right load of bollocks as to the background of the violent attack on a 12 year old child. His solicitor said he has to visit his 6 year old daughter who lives around the corner!! which is where he was going on the day of the attack. The victim was walking down the street when he was attacked-witnesses gave evidence to the fact that head butts were inflicted on the youth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm, I read a lot of the comments on the previous link.

A head butt on a twelve year old would have cause an injury.

Which is not present.

One witness? Not inclined to believe it myself.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Cameras should be ALLOWED where this is happening.

Footage could be taken to local schools and they could help identify the children.

They will also have the names and addresses.

The whole community need to help. And the victim needs it to be done, mostly without their interference as that generally makes things worse.

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm, I read a lot of the comments on the previous link.

A head butt on a twelve year old would have cause an injury.

Which is not present.
    What level of injury would you expect Claire Jackson, prosecuting, said the 12-year-old victim was shaken but not seriously injured.