The Tennis Thread (Part 28)

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,438
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not impressed by Halep.
She is a superb athlete and and retrieves exceptionally well but she hits the same pace ball over and over with no variety. She basically gives the hard hitters the perfect rhythm against her. She also needs to learn to flatten out her shots more....she's really lacking that firepower she needs against a Serena or Maria.

Continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Not impressed by Halep.
    She is a superb athlete and and retrieves exceptionally well but she hits the same pace ball over and over with no variety. She basically gives the hard hitters the perfect rhythm against her. She also needs to learn to flatten out her shots more....she's really lacking that firepower she needs against a Serena or Maria.

Indeed, I'm not excited by her either. I think she beats the players she's supposed to, but will never be able to beat the biggest hitters when it matters most. Plus I think she's now 1-10 against top 3 opponents after last night.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Really? Never knew that, interesting

I'm more easy going about Muzza missing it now so!

A shrewd operator our Andy!
    Yes, MC is a non-mandatory Masters (so it can be considered one of the four 500 events they must play) I think Davis Cup at World Group level can also count as a 500.

Anyhoo, Muzza has got two of his 500s out of the way early (Rotterdam and Dubai). Presumably Queens will be his third, and I reckon he's signed up for Washington. Who knows if he'll then bother with Beijing/Tokyo or Basel/Valencia...
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    The depth and power in his groundstrokes aswell was incredible

Super performance. Can't see him winning semi though but great run!
    Everything was going in for big John. Smacking return winners off Kei's first serve and battering Kei in rallies with the FH. He won the majority of rallies, which really surprised me.

Having said that, it was the first time Kei'd faced Isner. Next time he'll have to be more conservative returning the kicker and be less passive in rallies. Being passive doesn't suit Kei as his HC defense ain't up to Nole/Muzza standards. Very few slice BHs, helpless when you go with authority to his FH side...

Isner would have a better shot of winning the semi if it was in the daytime. Unfortunately for him it's at night...so Nole will presumably get a better handle on his second serve.
    I want to see the Romanian fans against the French Open crowdš :D
    Romanian, Spanish, Brazilian, French...all classless. They are effectively football crowds who don't have a clue about tennis etiquette.
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Really? I need to have a look at TF.:D I did ask myself how the hell does a Romanian have more vocal support in Miami than an American!:o:D
    I remember when La Monf was playing Isner in the USO a few years ago. Guess who the crowd got behind? :p
    Someone posted this on TF:

Imagine!
    This has already happened twice ;-)

Fed faced Adrian Ungur in 2012 and Victor Hanescu in 2005 (Hanescu made the QF that year). Both male Romanians, last time I checked. :p

None of Hanescu/Ungur/Copil are high enough to get into the main draw (all ranked 140-170) so they'll have to come through qualies. Copil really should be in the top 100, he's got a huge game.
    Makson wrote: »
    Not impressed by Halep.
    She can't really flatten out her shots from way behind the baseline though.

First things first, she has to have the confidence to play on or just inside the baseline as she doesn't have the power to play further back and that grinding style will take its toll on her body (potentially shortening her career). If she does that, then she can take the ball on the rise and flatten her shots out. :cool:

Also, she's not the only player to lack variety/changes of pace. Players with nuance and variety are few and far between these days.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the internet so much, first some Serena fans, now Simona fans just change how I feel about tennis (not here BTW).

Unbearable at times

I actually think Simona hits the ball deceptively hard, still should make the clay court season interesting. Halep and Sharapova's best surface. Yet Serena unbeaten, presuming she dispatches of CSN, who could also have a good dirt season, in the form of her life, but another with a psychological block with SW.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,551
    Forum Member
    6-4 6-4 Murray

Nice. Simple. Professional

Well done Andy
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgraceful. Simona fans need to be fined for their disruptive behavior if they continue to behave this way >:(>:(>:( !!! It's such a shame because she seems like a nice girl but her fans in general have a terrible attitude. It's not a football game for goodness sake.

I'm glad that Serena managed to win at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    Disgraceful. Simona fans need to be fined for their disruptive behavior if they continue to behave this way >:(>:(>:( !!! It's such a shame because she seems like a nice girl but her fans in general have a terrible attitude. It's not a football game for goodness sake.

I'm glad that Serena managed to win at the end.

This is the point, I think Halep is a sweet girl, but so many of her fans aren't tennis fans, they're Simona fans druggedd up by Romanian patriotism.

Almost certainly unfair, but this thread kind of sums it up.

Plus many others on TF.

I think it would be nice if all the top male and female players would make strong statements about being vicious to other players, love the person you support, stop the hatred of others.

Mind you could be said for other things, and no-one will do it in case they alienate their fanbase which is depressing.:cry:
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,263
    Forum Member
    This is the point, I think Halep is a sweet girl, but so many of her fans aren't tennis fans, they're Simona fans druggedd up by Romanian patriotism.

Plus many others on TF.

I think it would be nice if all the top male and female players would make strong statements about being vicious to other players, love the person you support, stop the hatred of others.

Mind you could be said for other things, and no-one will do it in case they alienate their fanbase which is depressing.:cry:

Simona's aware of it though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzAi_2VaZ8

She's too shy and polite to properly slap them down, plus would anyone really want that rabble to turn on them! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Simona's aware of it though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzAi_2VaZ8

She's too shy and polite to properly slap them down, plus would anyone really want that rabble to turn on them! :o

Hadn't seen that, good on her:)
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Some are saying the Romanians will learn to behave like the Serbians did. Where the Serbians that bad in the past?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Plus many others on TF.

They almost remind me of the French crowd at Rolland Garros :blush::blush::blush:
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some are saying the Romanians will learn to behave like the Serbians did. Where the Serbians that bad in the past?

Wasn't that Australians of Serbian origin?
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how many games will Carla win today? :kitty:
    Forum Member
    So how many games will Carla win today? :kitty:

Oh you! She's avoided the double bagel... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go Serena :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Congrats Serena.

It's just a terrible match up for Carla, she's got plenty to be happy about from the rest of Miami and breaking the top 10. Hopefully she can carry the confidence of that into the clay swing, her happiest hunting ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss !!! GO SERENA...LIVING LEGEND...GO.A.T :):) !!!

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I'm hoping to see my 2nd favorite on the men side Nole defeat Murray tomorrow :cool::cool::cool:

GO NOLE :):) !!!
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss !!! GO SERENA...LIVING LEGEND...GO.A.T :):) !!!

:D:D:D

I take it you're happy?:D

Well done Serena - such a great contender.:D
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Serena, well deserved! What a star.

I am not optimistic for Andy tomorrow.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we in a new thread? About time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Are we in a new thread? About time

Yeah we are, a bit odd as I'm sure my last post was in the other thread.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Serena! :):)
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Wasn't that Australians of Serbian origin?

Have no idea however some did point out that in the crowd for Simona in Miami were probably Romanian-Americans.
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Serena! :):)

Hey Jimmy, good to see you. we don't see much of you anymore in these parts.:(

Serena was brilliant especially in the 2nd set - she just brushed poor Carla aside.

You'll not be surprised to hear that I'm still flying the flag for young Rafa despite his troubles.:)
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus many others on TF.

The TF threads got pretty vicious. Mods had to clean them up on more than one occasion. :o
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Congrats Serena.

It's just a terrible match up for Carla, she's got plenty to be happy about from the rest of Miami and breaking the top 10. Hopefully she can carry the confidence of that into the clay swing, her happiest hunting ground.
    Indeed. Unfortunately for Carla, constructing points won't work against Serena - her shots tend to sit up and come into Serena's strikezone.

To beat her you must take the ball early and attack with variety, keeping Serena off balance.
    Shappy wrote: »
    Well done Serena, well deserved! What a star.

I am not optimistic for Andy tomorrow.
    The Nole-Andy rivalry has become depressing in the last 18 months.

Nole's serve has become harder to attack, while Andy's remains as attackable as ever. Andy's FH also breaks down too often.

At slams, they've split the first two sets in TBs before Muzza fades away in sets 3 and 4. Outside of slams? The last time they went to a deciding set was all the way back in 2012 (at the WTF).

It would be nice if the rivalry became somewhat competitive again, as men's tennis really needs it. Nole strolling to every key title barely breaking sweat? Boring. :kitty:

You could argue that Fed was strolling to key titles between 2004-07, but at least he plays an aesthetically pleasing style of tennis. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.