Options

HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled.

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi.
Has anyone experienced this message on their Fire Stick?

I've had the Stick since day one and it's worked perfectly until last week when this HDCP message appeared. Audio plays, but no visuals. Went through the rigmarole of unplugging and reinserting the Stick into another HDMI port. Nb: I'm using an HDMI splitter, as my 5yr old Sony TV only has 2 HDMI sockets.

Under Amazon guidance, I put the Stick directly into the tv (avoiding the splitter), but still didn't work. Amazon sent me a replacement Stick the other day, which I've used for a few days and worked okay... until just now when the message appeared again. Grrr.

Is it my TV or the Stick? Think I'm resigned to using the Amazon Prime app, via my Bluray player instead.

Anyone with any other solutions / workarounds as the Stick is far quicker to navigate and use?

Comments

• Options
    jcm193jcm193 Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try unplugging your tv from the mains and leaving it for a minute and try again i had the same a sky hd box and that fixed it worth a try
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Hi.

I've had the Stick since day one and it's worked perfectly until last week when this HDCP message appeared. Audio plays, but no visuals. Went through the rigmarole of unplugging and reinserting the Stick into another HDMI port. Nb: I'm using an HDMI splitter, as my 5yr old Sony TV only has 2 HDMI sockets.

Under Amazon guidance, I put the Stick directly into the tv (avoiding the splitter), but still didn't work. Amazon sent me a replacement Stick the other day, which I've used for a few days and worked okay... until just now when the message appeared again. Grrr.

Is it my TV or the Stick? Think I'm resigned to using the Amazon Prime app, via my Bluray player instead.

Anyone with any other solutions / workarounds as the Stick is far quicker to navigate and use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - thanks. Have tried that on the first Stick, which resolved it temporarily. But when I got the replacement, I swapped that over and after it having 'blown' tonight, I don't think faffing around with unplugging again, trying different ports will help. Guess the Stick may not be compatible with older model TVs?

Wondering if I were to try Amazon Fire TV instead, I would experience similar issues...? The bluray application works fine, but not my first choice. Are there any devices that have all streaming services eg, Amazon Instant video, Now TV and Netflix primarily? The Amazon Fire stick didn't have Now TV, so I had to download that app to my tablet in order to watch Game of Thrones (on demand version).
  • Options
    MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Hi.

This is strange, have a Roku 3 and Netflix started showing this when trying to play content, eventually unplugged the Roku for a few minutes and restarted and that cleared it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very annoying indeed. The Amazon rep was asking if my TV was HDCP compliant. I've no idea; it's not a "smart" TV, so no Internet connectivity and issues with software on the TV, causing interference.

It's pretty much scuppered use of the Stick for accessing my Prime content, so fallback is my Sony bluray player.

Reading on the Internet and, this seems a known issue for numerous streaming devices when played on TVs of a certain age, but profess to not understanding some of the technical or commercial reasons why this happens. Is it supposed to stop piracy??
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    It's very annoying indeed. The Amazon rep was asking if my TV was HDCP compliant. I've no idea; it's not a "smart" TV, so no Internet connectivity and issues with software on the TV, causing interference.

It's pretty much scuppered use of the Stick for accessing my Prime content, so fallback is my Sony bluray player.

Reading on the Internet and, this seems a known issue for numerous streaming devices when played on TVs of a certain age, but profess to not understanding some of the technical or commercial reasons why this happens. Is it supposed to stop piracy??

Just another backward thinking idea these studios impose on the general public, it is supposed to only allow secure connections between 2 devices to prevent someone plugging a recording device up to it and pressing record, and "recording" the movie in full HD, but as nearly everyone who you had asked at the time would have told you, all it does is cause problems to genuine users, who no fault of their own have 2 companies saying it aint their device thats broke.

Its like now-tv, i tried to use it, but skys security n the app wont allow it to work on my box, so now i use kodi with some add ons to get the content sky was providing, doesnt cost me a penny, if i want a copy of a blu ray i have, i just download it, takes minutes.

These companies will never learn, theyd rather send their lawyers out to find the people circumventing their security system than actually deal with the problems they are creating,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Just another backward thinking idea these studios impose on the general public, it is supposed to only allow secure connections between 2 devices to prevent someone plugging a recording device up to it and pressing record, and "recording" the movie in full HD, but as nearly everyone who you had asked at the time would have told you, all it does is cause problems to genuine users, who no fault of their own have 2 companies saying it aint their device thats broke.

Its like now-tv, i tried to use it, but skys security n the app wont allow it to work on my box, so now i use kodi with some add ons to get the content sky was providing, doesnt cost me a penny, if i want a copy of a blu ray i have, i just download it, takes minutes.

These companies will never learn, theyd rather send their lawyers out to find the people circumventing their security system than actually deal with the problems they are creating,

Thanks. So it is because I have my Humax Freesat HDMI also connected in my HDMI set-up, and the Fire Stick "thinks" I'm trying to record one of the streaming shows / films?? Ridiculous and wouldn't know how that would happen.

Anyhoo, it's now back up and running, so ridiculously inconsistent as well. Don't expect it to last long, however...
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Thanks. So it is because I have my Humax Freesat HDMI also connected in my HDMI set-up, and the Fire Stick "thinks" I'm trying to record one of the streaming shows / films?? Ridiculous and wouldn't know how that would happen.

Anyhoo, it's now back up and running, so ridiculously inconsistent as well. Don't expect it to last long, however...
    You should be able to connect them both without problems though.