Benchmark C4 quiz 4pm

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
ANyone tried this yet. Its not bad and you get a laugh at the banter between Paddy mcguinness and the contestants, bit like Take me out i suppose.
Its different too to all the samey questions of other quizzes, this one had subjects like how many men walked on the moon and how fast does a champagne cork come out the bottle !!
The contestants have to guess whether its higher or lower than the benchmark.
Maybe c4 are looking for a replacement to DOND . this could do it, has the same contestants coming back each day like deal.

Comments

• stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I've watched both episodes so far. I like it, it's not a ground-breaker but it's entertaining enough and not without potential.

I was a bit concerned when I found how few questions there were going to be across the hour, but it actually seems to flow reasonably well. The questions are mostly fun and good to play along with. I'm pleasantly surprised by Paddy, not being his biggest fan and having never seen Take Me Out; not totally sure yet if it's a perfect fit for him format-wise, but he's very good with the contestants.

Interesting that there's a qualification requirement for selection here, unlike Deal or No Deal where the process is dressed as random. There could be some very long stays!

There are the obligatory celebrity specials coming soon, according to Paddy himself. http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/paddy-mcguinness-interview-for-benchmark
  • Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first couple as well, and already noticed some of the usual suspects turning up at the Benchmarkers.
    Game itself isn't too bad, but an hour to ask 11 questions???
    You've the higher-lower aspect of "Play your card right", and when they do the final and are counting down the differences between the guessed and the actual answer, I expect to hear the yodelling climber they used to have in the 'Price Is Right'.
    There really is nothing new under the sun.
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,161
    Forum Member
    I tried this on Monday but I didn't like it. Too few questions and too slow pace for a start, plus there was a lot of faffing about such as talking to contestants during rounds instead of getting on with the game. Paddy McGuinness is an ok host but it's hard to make the game seem exciting when the contestant gets the first question wrong; immediately the £25,000 is out of the game. I also don't like how the answer arrow moves up and down the scale before finally settling; this just faffs about further, trying to build suspense but it's even more time consuming and a tad irritating.

Benchmark can be salvaged with some retooling though. The Top 2 contestants facing off in the first round is the most exciting the show gets, so perhaps bring the competitive element to the fore. Could it be made into a half hour show as well?
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Deal or no deal is a lot of faffing around. Its mostly just chat between the contestants to make it last an hour. Benchmark is the same but you do get some funny banter. I didnt think it was slow.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I tried this on Monday but I didn't like it. Too few questions and too slow pace for a start, plus there was a lot of faffing about such as talking to contestants during rounds instead of getting on with the game. Paddy McGuinness is an ok host but it's hard to make the game seem exciting when the contestant gets the first question wrong; immediately the £25,000 is out of the game. I also don't like how the answer arrow moves up and down the scale before finally settling; this just faffs about further, trying to build suspense but it's even more time consuming and a tad irritating.

Benchmark can be salvaged with some retooling though. The Top 2 contestants facing off in the first round is the most exciting the show gets, so perhaps bring the competitive element to the fore. Could it be made into a half hour show as well?
    Agree. Gave it a chance. Won't be returning.
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not on today and missing it already I think it quite innovative in its form and at least they trying to maybe fill the void of the bore feast deal or no deal has become.
    Forum Member
    not on today and missing it already I think it quite innovative in its form and at least they trying to maybe fill the void of the bore feast deal or no deal has become.

I'm loving it, makes a nice change from the same general knowledge questions that keep popping up on every quiz. Some funny characters there too, I see some regular quiz show contestants like Eileen from county Durham. Paddy is good as a people person,
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote:
    I'm loving it, makes a nice change from the same general knowledge questions that keep popping up on every quiz. Some funny characters there too, I see some regular quiz show contestants like Eileen from county Durham. Paddy is good as a people person,

And James the Scottish police officer was on Sky1's Wild Things only a couple of months ago. I expect with so many on each show there will be more of the serial quizzers cropping up.

Very poor ratings so far, a 381k debut on Monday and down to 213k Wednesday :o This is less than the earlier Countdown and DOND, which were on 244 and 287k respectively. Source.

C4 daytime is officially a trainwreck!

A shame... we'll have to see if it grows at all, and how the celebrity shows go down whenever they get flung out. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would.
    Forum Member
    stewartuu wrote: »
    And James the Scottish police officer was on Sky1's Wild Things only a couple of months ago. I expect with so many on each show there will be more of the serial quizzers cropping up.

Very poor ratings so far, a 381k debut on Monday and down to 213k Wednesday :o This is less than the earlier Countdown and DOND, which were on 244 and 287k respectively. Source.

C4 daytime is officially a trainwreck!

A shame... we'll have to see if it grows at all, and how the celebrity shows go down whenever they get flung out. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

Surprised c4 are sticking with dond and especially countdown which should have ended years ago when Richard Whiteley died. Maybe it's in their contact they have to still show it! Same words have been coming up for years
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    You've the higher-lower aspect of "Play your card right", and when they do the final and are counting down the differences between the guessed and the actual answer, I expect to hear the yodelling climber they used to have in the 'Price Is Right'.
    There really is nothing new under the sun.

I thought "Play Your Cards Right" without the cards but missed the "Price is Right" aspect.
  • EileenspennyEileenspenny Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    im eileen
    Forum Member
    im eileen
    Hi Eileen, how many quizzes have you been on, you seem to be good at this too, good guesses so far ! Can't believe Saturdays show was a repeat, was looking forward to it
    Forum Member
    quite a lot over the years! 1st one was "skys the limit" with hughie green!!picked out of audience with my hubby as newly weds.you have a guess how many!
    Forum Member
    quite a lot over the years! 1st one was "skys the limit" with hughie green!!picked out of audience with my hubby as newly weds.you have a guess how many!

Wasn't Barbara from spennymoor too? The one with the long hair i remember
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    From next Monday it's not on the schedules maybe c4 have canned it because of the poor ratings.
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't trust some of their statistics at all.

For instance today we had "How many hairstyles does the average woman have over her lifetime" and the 'correct' answer was 150! That's more than 2 a year every year!

But then the source was 'Toni&Guy'..
    Forum Member
    yes barbara is my mate and fellow W.I member. We have only done 3 shows together though-"ruby wax+s Waiting game"/"game show losers"-a documentary and pointless.however we shared a room for "pass the buck" and were there the same day for"talkabout"did u see her on bradley walsh+s "game show story repeated 2 weeks ago?
    Forum Member
    yes barbara is my mate and fellow W.I member. We have only done 3 shows together though-"ruby wax+s Waiting game"/"game show losers"-a documentary and pointless.however we shared a room for "pass the buck" and were there the same day for"talkabout"did u see her on bradley walsh+s "game show story repeated 2 weeks ago?

Yes i remember now. Shame you missed out playing on monday. Paddys not speaking to you much is he!

Cant believe these statistics either myself. Cant believe so many men use moisturiser. I mean, half the population are pensioners! Cant see them using it.
    ANd women 150 hairstyles. Its daft !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From next Monday it's not on the schedules maybe c4 have canned it because of the poor ratings.

It's Royal Ascot from next Tuesday so the series will continue from 22nd June.
    Forum Member
    Digiguide doesn't list any episodes of Benchmark at all after the 13th, though I've just read that the show is provisionally scheduled for 1PM from 22nd June. :o A shame but you can hardly blame them, the ratings have been very low.

Will leave a weird ten minute gap between that and Countdown, though. Perhaps there are further changes to the line-up.
    Forum Member
    in the editing he just seems to speak to the stupid answers for comedy effect! obviously im not crazy/zany enough and hopefully have a brain! ha!
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Yes i remember now. Shame you missed out playing on monday. Paddys not speaking to you much is he!

Cant believe these statistics either myself. Cant believe so many men use moisturiser. I mean, half the population are pensioners! Cant see them using it.
    ANd women 150 hairstyles. Its daft !

excuse me!! my husband is 73yrs as i said and uses moisturiser! ha! hairstyle question is rubbish!
    Forum Member
    excuse me!! my husband is 73yrs as i said and uses moisturiser! ha! hairstyle question is rubbish!

Oops!!soz Eileen!
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that only 42% of people/households have got a dishwasher - even I've got one & I'm poor.
    Forum Member

Where have you gone eileen ? A few different people on the panel today