Swearing on reruns of comedy programmes-Vicar Of Dibley and Only Fools and Horses

Gordon_bennetGordon_bennet Posts: 17
Forum Member
I am really keen to find out, is it common for BBC and GOLD to cut out any instances of bad language when they rerun shows?

As an example a few weeks back I watched the final episode of The Vicar Of Dibley (The Vicar In White)on GOLD and they seemingly cut out Jim saying the word "P***k" on two occasions.

However last Friday evening BBC1 reran that episode where they're disgussing an outbreak of graffiti in the village and David says something like "Lets keep a look out for the b*****d who tampered with the sign for the tuck shop". In that instance they left the offensive word intact.

Similarly a few weeks ago when the "Slow Bus To Chingford" episode of Only Fools and Horses was shown on GOLD(around Saturday lunchtime) during that scene where Del Boy inadvertedly offended Rodney's girlfriend Janice and she stormed out, they cut to the commercial break just as Rodney was about to call Del a "Rotten G**"

I would be interested to find out, is it common practice for both BBC and Gold to remove any offensive language from shows such as this whenever they're repeated or does it depend on factors such as the time of day the programme is being broadcast? Also, do BBC and Gold both have the same attitude to removing bad language from any reruns of these shows?

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There does seem to be a sensitivity towards certain words when anything's being shown in the daytime, probably because the TV broadcasters know that some people love to complain. Oh, I'm so offended by such and such.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    There does seem to be a sensitivity towards certain words when anything's being shown in the daytime, probably because the TV broadcasters know that some people love to complain. Oh, I'm so offended by such and such.

I have always found it strange that certain words are bleeped and others are not. Pi**ed seems to be acceptable now, but only in the American sense of being angry. Some episodes of Two and a Half Men have had 'bitch' bleeped; God knows why.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,264
    Forum Member
    There was a fair bit of Swearing in Dibley last night at 8:30 on BBC1.

Daytime soap Doctors at 1:45 seems to be allowed to swear. $Lut,$lag,**** and Pr!ck have been used a fair bit this year. 1 ep however is being investigated by Ofcom.

Soaps like EastEnders and Corrie use Ba$tard a fair bit too.

I dont see the problem anyway as the very young are unlikely to sit,Watch and take it in.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really keen to find out, is it common for BBC and GOLD to cut out any instances of bad language when they rerun shows?

As an example a few weeks back I watched the final episode of The Vicar Of Dibley (The Vicar In White)on GOLD and they seemingly cut out Jim saying the word "P***k" on two occasions.

However last Friday evening BBC1 reran that episode where they're disgussing an outbreak of graffiti in the village and David says something like "Lets keep a look out for the b*****d who tampered with the sign for the tuck shop". In that instance they left the offensive word intact.

Similarly a few weeks ago when the "Slow Bus To Chingford" episode of Only Fools and Horseshoe was shown on GOLD(around Saturday lunchtime) during that scene where Del Boy inadvertedly offended Rodney's girlfriend Janice and she stormed out, they cut to the commercial break just as Rodney was about to call Del a "Rotten G**"

I would be interested to find out, is it common practice for both BBC and Gold to remove any offensive language from shows such as this whenever they're repeated or does it depend on factors such as the time of day the programme is being broadcast? Also, do BBC and Gold both have the same attitude to removing bad language from any reruns of these shows?

Gordon Bennet Gordon Bennet!
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If EE was a true representation of real life, then half the characters would be swearing most of the time anyway.
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    If EE was a true representation of real life, then half the characters would be swearing most of the time anyway.

In Somali.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »

Daytime soap Doctors at 1:45 seems to be allowed to swear. $Lut,$lag,**** and Pr!ck have been used a fair bit this year. 1 ep however is being investigated by Ofcom.

I dont see the problem anyway as the very young are unlikely to sit,Watch and take it in.

They hear worse at school anyway.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see them censoring "Git"! Maybe bad editing? Funny how these things change over time. I remember when "bloody" was considered strong language on telly. But am getting on a bit...
  • Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Scrubs used to be run on E4 all the time, they would routinely edit the jokes due to language or content, so most of the time they ended up making no sense!
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,884
    Forum Member
    When Scrubs used to be run on E4 all the time, they would routinely edit the jokes due to language or content, so most of the time they ended up making no sense!
    Probably improved the show....
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Probably improved the show....

Worth watching just for Sarah Chalke though.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How can ****, slag and **** be considered swear words by anyone? A **** is just another word for a prostitute. **** and slag are unpleasant derogatory terms, but certainly not swear words.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dave's editing of swearing in repeats is the question, not what other channels show. What Dave decide to do to ensure they don't get complaints is their own decision. Annoying though such editing is.

****, slag, **** and prick aren't swear words but they can be seen as offensive. Putting $ instead of s and ! for i just looks silly especially with **** spelled in full. How about wh0re or whor€ ;)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which episode?

Doctors gets away with more, in terms of its storylines, at lunchtime than it could if it was on around 7pm, as they once trialled it. That's because those who watch Doctors will tune in at that time, or record it to watch later, whereas at 7pm the argument is that families are having dinner so don't want, for example, a rape story being heard around the dinner table.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Either air them unedited or dont bother showing them.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either air them unedited or dont bother showing them.

Freakin' A!