Metal bed frames vs wooden bed frames - which is better?

phasesphases Posts: 255
Forum Member

Comments

• c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got my daughter a lovely metal bed frame it's really nice and looks great but is nowhere near as sturdy as my wooden frame one.

When I first met my hubby we had a metal frame one but broke it lol. So now we stick to wooden ones.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Once you stub your toe on the metal or wooden leg in the dark, you'll wish you'd bought a divan bed!

I've have metal and wooden beds. Prefer wooden. Less creaky.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you have cats or other pets that like to claw things then metals the way to go and is generally easier to clean
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's mainly an aesthetic call, and I reckon that the choice of mattress is much more important. That said, if it's going into a small room, then go for a bed without a footer to it, in either metal or wood.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    It's mainly an aesthetic call, and I reckon that the choice of mattress is much more important. That said, if it's going into a small room, then go for a bed without a footer to it, in either metal or wood.

You can if you want the mattress sliding down the bed.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phases wrote: »

There's only one way to find out.....
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Metal ends up creaking. Wooden joints end up moving. Unless they're expensive.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »

It's best to get a solid bed one that doesn't make a racket and fall apart during sex.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    You can if you want the mattress sliding down the bed.

That's not the case, as the mattresses invariably fit into a recess within the structure of the bed frame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not the case, as the mattresses invariably fit into a recess within the structure of the bed frame.

Good point, I spoke from the experience of being on holiday some months ago and the bed was a divan with no footer, the pillow kept disappearing down the top of the mattress and the headboard because the mattress kept slipping. It really annoyed me
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    You get what you pay for so don't buy cheap. A well crafted wooden or metal bed will last for ever. Ours is metal and we've had it for about 18 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get what you pay for so don't buy cheap. A well crafted wooden or metal bed will last for ever. Ours is metal and we've had it for about 18 years.

Yes I agree, a bed is something not to be scrimped on. Our bed frame is wooden and was very expensive and our mattress was too, I just love my bed. Its 6 years old now and feels and looks brand new. My last bed was metal and lasted over 12 years before we wanted a change
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Solid footer is hopeless if the occupant is tall.

Barred footer is dangerous if the occupant is tall. I've twisted an ankle after turning with my foot poking through a bar!
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,884
    Forum Member
    I've always viewed both metal & wood bed frames as stop-gaps until the time comes in your life when you can afford a proper divan. :)

Metal/wood frames are much the same - both are a nuisance at times. As wooden frames get older it's a bit easier to avoid creaking due to being able to re-screw into wood for a tight bond. Once metal screw holes start to wear down you're mostly left with a creaky bed after a certain number of years.

Which is okay if you sleep alone but if you have others in the house and you want some horizontal fun-times, metal frames can be a problem. A wooden frame just needs the side-bars re-tightening a couple of times a year (plus ideally with a couple of custom-made support struts underneath the central support to avoid the lateral planks creaking).

Nothing beats a quality divan though.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    I've always viewed both metal & wood bed frames as stop-gaps until the time comes in your life when you can afford a proper divan

How patronising!

It has nothing to do with cost, I've had a divan and now have a metal bed frame.

I prefer the metal, had it a few years and have had no issue with creaking etc. It's also easier on the eye than the boxy divan style bed.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,884
    Forum Member
    How patronising!
    Oh, don't be silly. It's nothing of the sort.

I know how superior a quality divan is to any wood/metal frame and for many years I didn't bother since I could only afford wood/cheap metal frames/cheap divans.

It's nonsensical and over-sensitive to see that as being patronising. It's a simple fact as far as I can see.

Whether you agree or not about quality divans vs metal frames is a whole other thing,
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither! Avoid bed frames at all costs and get a divan instead.

Years of smacking my knees and shins on the corner/edge of my previous wooden framed bed has taught me this! :D I would never buy a bed with a frame again.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, don't be silly. It's nothing of the sort.

I know how superior a quality divan is to any wood/metal frame and for many years I didn't bother since I could only afford wood/cheap metal frames/cheap divans.

It's nonsensical and over-sensitive to see that as being patronising. It's a simple fact as far as I can see.

Whether you agree or not about quality divans vs metal frames is a whole other thing,

my cats would love to visit you as they seem to love going around sofa's/beds etc by using their claws which may make a metal/wood one a better bet as you wouldn't have to replace it every time tiddles decided to go for walk around the bed
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    my cats would love to visit you as they seem to love going around sofa's/beds etc by using their claws which may make a metal/wood one a better bet as you wouldn't have to replace it every time tiddles decided to go for walk around the bed

That's just disgusting. Why would you allow an animal in your bedroom?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always viewed both metal & wood bed frames as stop-gaps until the time comes in your life when you can afford a proper divan. :)

Metal/wood frames are much the same - both are a nuisance at times. As wooden frames get older it's a bit easier to avoid creaking due to being able to re-screw into wood for a tight bond. Once metal screw holes start to wear down you're mostly left with a creaky bed after a certain number of years.

Which is okay if you sleep alone but if you have others in the house and you want some horizontal fun-times, metal frames can be a problem. A wooden frame just needs the side-bars re-tightening a couple of times a year (plus ideally with a couple of custom-made support struts underneath the central support to avoid the lateral planks creaking).

Surely you're joking? I would never have a divan, they're so ugly.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the more solid 'sleigh' type bed bases, where the bed head and base is all in one piece, as they don't move or creak so much compared to metal or slat type wooden bed bases.

Such as this.

http://homesteadfurnitureonline.com/images/Beds/millennium-sleigh-bed-lg.jpg
  • All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my first Divan bed back in January. It cost me a lot, but it did me the world of good after sleeping in a uncomfortable metal bed for years.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metal ends up creaking. Wooden joints end up moving. Unless they're expensive.

We have a metal frame. It's never creaked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Waterbeds are great for back pain and comfort, you can set the heater to match your preference too, they keep you cool on hot summer nights and warm you up on cold winter nights.