Ticks & Lymes Disease

daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
Forum Member
I found a tick embedded in my skin a few weeks ago, had it removed at my local surgery as I knew that it had to be removed cleanly with no bits left behind. For a week all seemed well, but then it became red and itchy. Went back to the Drs and was given -hydrocortisone cream to put on it. Then I read online a warning about ticks being on the rampage and there being a strong chance of getting Lymes Disease from a tick bite. It can take a month for the effects to manifest itself, so I am on tenterhooks at the moment. I wish the Dr had prescribed antibiotics too. I am due to see him again next Wednesday but wondering if I shold see him before then?
Anyone else been affected by ticks?

Comments

• AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I had one on me once, picked it up when taking the dogs into the woods :(
    My husband put Frontline on it (we had that for the dogs) he then put vasaline on it to suffocate the little bugger.
    After a couple of days he removed it, my husband was a champion tick remover :D
    If I remember correctly it did itch and was red for a while, I just put Savlon on it and after a few days it was ok.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    I had one on me once, picked it up when taking the dogs into the woods :(
    My husband put Frontline on it (we had that for the dogs) he then put vasaline on it to suffocate the little bugger.
    After a couple of days he removed it, my husband was a champion tick remover :D
    If I remember correctly it did itch and was red for a while, I just put Savlon on it and after a few days it was ok.

LOL! I was calling it far worse than that!

How you stuck with it for a couple of days I don't know. :o It was bad enough seeing it there for about 20mins. I too put Savlon on the itchy area at first but it made no difference. The hydrocortisone cream is taking the itch away but I have a large red area, and so far that has stayed the same. But thanks for your reply, good to know you didn't suffer any long term effects.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    We have ticks everywhere here and I've removed ~15 from me in the past 2 years (7 from one run once!!) and about the same from the kids.

-do not under any circumstances cover them in anything- they'll vomit in you as they suffocate
    -use a tick tool or a pair of half decent tweezers
    -there is not a strong chance of getting Lyme's disease from ticks
    -you should be more worried about TBE from ticks than Lyme's...!
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Then I read online a warning about ticks being on the rampage and there being a strong chance of getting Lymes Disease from a tick bite. It can take a month for the effects to manifest itself, so I am on tenterhooks at the moment. I wish the Dr had prescribed antibiotics too. I am due to see him again next Wednesday but wondering if I shold see him before then?

Where did you read it would take a month? The usual symptoms of Lyme infection are an expanding circular rash around the bite, and/or cold-like symptoms, I think sooner than a month but I haven't read up on it for a long time.

Sometimes you get no symptoms, until months or years later when it's harder to treat. I'd put some pressure on the GP to give antibiotics anyway; you will need them for a month.

The common perception is that Lyme is so rare that infection is unlikely, which means GPs don't take it seriously, and which also lead to me ignoring my infection (I even had the classic rash but thought it was a symptom of the bite) , until I was diagnosed 3 years later.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're lucky if you get a bullseye rash. They're not as common as people think. Flu-like symptoms from two to four weeks is what you need to watch out for. It's a good idea if you get bitten by a tick to mark it on your calendar just in case.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Where did you read it would take a month? The usual symptoms of Lyme infection are an expanding circular rash around the bite, and/or cold-like symptoms, I think sooner than a month but I haven't read up on it for a long time.

Sometimes you get no symptoms, until months or years later when it's harder to treat. I'd put some pressure on the GP to give antibiotics anyway; you will need them for a month.

The common perception is that Lyme is so rare that infection is unlikely, which means GPs don't take it seriously, and which also lead to me ignoring my infection (I even had the classic rash but thought it was a symptom of the bite) , until I was diagnosed 3 years later.

Should have said 'it can take up to a month for symptons to appear'. After mentioning this on FB I received a reply from Ontario Lyme Disease Alliance telling me that I need to be put on a long course of antibiotics immediately, so I am going to the Drs tomorrow with or without an appointment. I am concerned that the rash is spreading. :(