Wimblebore

snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only person who hates this period when the BBC gives over the schedules to tennis.

I don't mind if racquet fans enjoy their sport but I object to the normal schedules being so totally taken over by what is a minority sport never seen, or watched, throughout the year.

Even the arrival of digital channels and red buttons hasn't stopped it.

Comments

• Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's two weeks out of fifty-two. People enjoy it. The BBC caters for everyone. I loathe football and that's broadcast nearly fifty-two weeks of the year now. I could complain, but the BBC doesn't cater just for me.

It's lovely outside, go enjoy nature or listen to the radio. TV should not rule one's life. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Yet youre ok with football dominance all the other weeks of the year?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,035
    Forum Member
    Only those unable to change a channel should really complain what is on for a few hours a day on one or two channels..

It's not even on BBC One now....

Sure the Olympics had more coverage for example.

BTW BBC hardly have any LIVE football on either.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again. Wimbledon takes over the BBC schedules. It is only for two weeks in a year. Let those who enjoy tennis have their two weeks of tv heaven.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Here we go again. Wimbledon takes over the BBC schedules. It is only for two weeks in a year. Let those who enjoy tennis have their two weeks of tv heaven.

Exactly, the BBC is for us all therefore they are going to show things that don't interest us.

OP. Do what I do when Strictly or The Voice or EastEnders or Top Gear come on and switch channels.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't mind it. I like tennis, I used to play it when I was younger (not competitively, just as a hobby) and I enjoyed playing it it, even though I didn't always understand the rules :p I haven't had time to watch it so far though as I'm busy writing my Masters dissertation.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    There are other channels. This isn't the '70s any more.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would I be right in thinking that probably 75% of the shows that the tennis is "taking over" would be repeats anyway ? Certainly most of BBC 2 daytime output and a proportion of BBC1s afternoon shows
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I be right in thinking that probably 75% of the shows that the tennis is "taking over" would be repeats anyway ? Certainly most of BBC 2 daytime output and a proportion of BBC1s afternoon shows

I would have thought the figure might be closer to 90% but I haven't actually bothered to check the Radio Times.I rarely watch TV after 9 a.m. until about 6 p.m. in any case so I'm not really affected but I appreciate others are. Whatever happened to the concept that BBC2 is supposed to offer an alternative to whatever is on BBC1 ?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 26,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly has Wimbledon replaced that if im honest anybody would be that bothered about/

Doctyots, Quiz Shows, Property Shows and Pointless.

Doctyots, is my version of Doctors, where marshions work with the everyday dctors, to look after the community at the mill.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have gone with Wimboredom
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the concept that BBC2 is supposed to offer an alternative to whatever is on BBC1 ?

That is one good point.

I don't watch telly any more physically (i.e. I haven't switched my telly on for years and just watch BBC on my laptop via iPlayer - very rarely) so I lose track of the schedules but has BBC2 still got the same tag of science-based shows and documentaries and alternative comedy? Then there are the sport events (often minority and unathletic) they used to do like darts and snooker.

Is there still that division between the more populist BBC1 and the slightly intellectual and niche BBC2 or is it fairly mixed up these days?

I would restrict Wimbledon to one channel (and online) if it's currently on both 1 and 2. Don't they do match switching with red buttons and all that anyway? And how many great matches do you get early on anyway? Too many to fill one channel for a lot of the day?
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly a minority sport. It's in the Top 5 or 6 sports in the UK, likewise across the world. Bar football and athletics, no other sport has such global participation in every corner of the globe.
    For 48 weeks of the year, you will find tennis on TV so people are watching it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a difference now that we are in the multi-channel age.

I like tennis so don't care, but is there a case for tennis on BBC1/BBC2 at the same time these days for those who are not so keen?

Maybe the occasional match, as we saw with Glastonbury, could be on BBC2. But perhaps most could be on Red Button?

Of course, this would need a governmental change of direction to achieve. We would also need more Red Button Services on Freeview. And all in HD as well!

Then BBC1/BBC2 can be largely unchanged when sporting events came around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Wimbledon so I'm gonna stick up for it.

Yes, it is available via the red button, and this year you can get live action from 15 of the courts, via the website and the BBC Sport App.

Which is fine for me, as I mainly watch TV via the Internet on my iPad anyway.

But we have a generation who maybe don't get all the red button and interactive stuff, my dad is 60, he think it leads u to seedy programming.

Plus it is only on both channels for the period of time in the afternoon, when you normally have 2 big matches going on at once
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of the UK's biggest sporting events, it deserves a place on the BBC. We've lost enough sport to the dark side, the longer it stays where it is... the better!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Personally i cannot stand tennis but, i know there are millions that love it and enjoy it and the coverage the BBC gives to it is amazing!
    So you know what i do? I watch something else because we live in an era where there are hundreds of channels.
    Just because its on the BBC, people act like they have this over-inflated sense of self-importance and moan because the BBC dared to give proper coverage to something for TWO weeks of the year!
    I can't stand Golf so i don't watch Sky Sports 4, i can't stand Rugby so i too avoid that you know what, i don't need to go crying over it either!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like watching the tennis and love watching Wimbledon on the BBC. I watched some of it this afternoon when I got in from work and will be watching some of it over the next 2 weeks.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    It's one of the UK's biggest sporting events, it deserves a place on the BBC. We've lost enough sport to the dark side, the longer it stays where it is... the better!

In 2022, it looks like we could loose the Olympics, people make it sound like the BEEB and ITV have tons of sport, which takes over the airwaves.

I was watching Wimbledon thinking, I cant remember the last time, I watched any Sport on normal TV
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly a minority sport. It's in the Top 5 or 6 sports in the UK, likewise across the world. Bar football and athletics, no other sport has such global participation in every corner of the globe.
    For 48 weeks of the year, you will find tennis on TV so people are watching it.

Yes its usually on early in the morning though (Australian open) or late at night (US open), or on pay TV, so this is the one chance everyone in the UK can see a good dose of tennis.

Regards BBC 2 it shows mainly repeats all day as there is little money for anything else most of the year expect snooker or politics show.

Darts I haven't seen on a PSB channel for years and while BBC 2 might show some documentaries in the evening, I think its not got the same feel as it did years ago.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 2022, it looks like we could loose the Olympics, people make it sound like the BEEB and ITV have tons of sport, which takes over the airwaves.

I was watching Wimbledon thinking, I cant remember the last time, I watched any Sport on normal TV

It appears that the Olympics will still be FTA, unless there are changes to the protected status of the event.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True it seems like everything is slowly going behind paywalls as the sports organizations think money money money, but I think the bubble will burst one day just look at sky and BT bidding for rights for football!
    The best way forward is a good compromise like Sky and BBC did with F1, if the majority of the British sports is FTA on a PSB with the other games going behind a paywall but with full PSB highlights it will work.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very first day of wimbledon, its only two weeks, and people complain.

Its popular, I only watch tennis if we are doing well, i am not a fan, but many are.

Broadcasting is broad hence the name so for two weeks tennis fans get their bit.

And Pointless will be back...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Yes its usually on early in the morning though (Australian open) or late at night (US open), or on pay TV, so this is the one chance everyone in the UK can see a good dose of tennis.

Regards BBC 2 it shows mainly repeats all day as there is little money for anything else most of the year expect snooker or politics show.

Darts I haven't seen on a PSB channel for years and while BBC 2 might show some documentaries in the evening, I think its not got the same feel as it did years ago.

BBC do share the Lakeside Darts with BT
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think there is a difference now that we are in the multi-channel age.

I like tennis so don't care, but is there a case for tennis on BBC1/BBC2 at the same time these days for those who are not so keen?

Maybe the occasional match, as we saw with Glastonbury, could be on BBC2. But perhaps most could be on Red Button?

Of course, this would need a governmental change of direction to achieve. We would also need more Red Button Services on Freeview. And all in HD as well!

Then BBC1/BBC2 can be largely unchanged when sporting events came around.

Two weeks of the year only....

Its popular..it gets good ratings.

Why not use 1 and 2.

Some my like the Male game others the Female game. Thats choice.

Its a major event and post 6pm there is choice.

Few people are normally in during daytime, I know people who book time off at work to watch wimbledon for two weeks.