Men In Black 3 - Ultraviolet ??

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I see that the BluRay of 'Men In Black 3' includes something called "Ultraviolet"
What is this "Ultraviolet" ?
:confused:

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's just the digital copy i think
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike normal digital copies, you will need an app to watch it on an Apple device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that the BluRay of 'Men In Black 3' includes something called "Ultraviolet"
    What is this "Ultraviolet" ?
    :confused:

Most double play/triple plays blu rays contain the ultraviolet copy now, they have replaced the DVD's that use to be in these sets. Means they can charge the same price and have a bit of paper instead of a disc in the case now. I just really wish they would give us a fair priced blu ray only for all movies, sick of these downloadable copies that are included with blu ray movies that keep the prices up.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most double play/triple plays blu rays contain the ultraviolet copy now, they have replaced the DVD's that use to be in these sets. Means they can charge the same price and have a bit of paper instead of a disc in the case now. I just really wish they would give us a fair priced blu ray only for all movies, sick of these downloadable copies that are included with blu ray movies that keep the prices up.

I agree. When I buy a BluRay, I only want the BluRay. I only watch the film in my living room anyway !
    I don't want a DVD. I don't want a "digital copy"
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I agree. When I buy a BluRay, I only want the BluRay. I only watch the film in my living room anyway !

And you seriously think that without them they're gonna charge any less for certain films from certain studios on release day?
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wonder if Groundhog Day has an Ultraviolet copy? :rolleyes:
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    And to add the Ultraviolet digital copy is crap. The version I got with Jaws was not even taken from the remaster, looked like it was from a VHS copy.

At least if you are selling a Blu-Ray with digital copy give you the option for an HD digital copy.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I'd have to disagree with you I'm afraid, I find these kinds of releases very useful, I have older devices like a DVD player/PC in a playroom for when we have the Grandkids/kids round, it works out much cheaper than buying secondary copies. The downside to UV is the multiple accounts and sign ups needed, some sites are very tedious.

I can't find any eveidence that I pay anymore for the extra copies, in fact you can pay more for just a single disc. Each studio prices their releases up differently anyway.

Just for the sheer hell of it I looked at MIB III and compared it with another soon to be released blockbuster but a single disc, Expendables 2.

Men in Black III Blu ray + UV copy..

Play £15
    Sainsbury's £14.99
    Tesco's £15.99
    Asda £15
    Zavvi £12.95

Expendables 2 Single Disc...

Play £15
    Sainsbury's £14.99
    Tesco's £17.97
    Asda £15
    Zavvi £14.95

As you can see a single disc can be as much or more than a double play, the example from Zavvi the double play is a fair bit cheaper than the single disc. Doesn't always work out this way, but it shows they are not loading up the double/triple plays just because they have extra copies.

Now if there was a point to raise about price, I would argue that the single disc Expendables 2 was poorer value for money, depending where you bought it, because it's the same price/more expensive than MIB III which has an extra copy.
    Forum Member
    MeanMint wrote: »
    And to add the Ultraviolet digital copy is crap. The version I got with Jaws was not even taken from the remaster, looked like it was from a VHS copy.

At least if you are selling a Blu-Ray with digital copy give you the option for an HD digital copy.

Didn't think any UV copies were HD, but looking I found a list where it shows the SD and HD versions available

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=202551
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Unlike normal digital copies, you will need an app to watch it on an Apple device.

You have to download to watch offline, however you need an internet connection to watch your "offline" copy.... (This is the only flaw I've found in Ultra Violet so far
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And really that what the majority want, these DP/TP sets have always been to satisfy the minority who either want to watch a DVD of a film they have on blu ray:confused: or now want to watch it on a 2 inch screen via a UV copy

I wonder how long it will take these studio's to realise that if they brought out a blu ray only at a decent price that would result in so many more people taking up blu ray. I really expected them to come to their senses this year and am pretty surprised that we will go into 2013 with the studios still giving us these worthless multi format sets at inflated prices. No wonder supermarkets are slimlining both their in store and online seelctions or in some cases giving up selling blu rays altogether.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    And really that what the majority want, these DP/TP sets have always been to satisfy the minority who either want to watch a DVD of a film they have on blu ray:confused: or now want to watch it on a 2 inch screen via a UV copy

I wonder how long it will take these studio's to realise that if they brought out a blu ray only at a decent price that would result in so many more people taking up blu ray. I really expected them to come to their senses this year and am pretty surprised that we will go into 2013 with the studios still giving us these worthless multi format sets at inflated prices. No wonder supermarkets are slimlining both their in store and online seelctions or in some cases giving up selling blu rays altogether.

Most of the blu rays atm (even with both digital and UV copies) are reasonably priced. Ted with Digital Copy and UV Copy - £14.99, The Amazing Spider-man with UV Copy - £13.98 And I don't think they are worthless, I watch the occasional film on my iPod, and these formats are way easier than ripping them. Please don't act like your opinion rules the world, because it doesn't....
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many times are people going to have to point out to you that there is NO price difference between BD only releases and the Combo deals before you will actually comprehend the fact. As a supposed scientist your job is about looking at the evidence and drawing conclusions from this evidence so it really shouldn't be as hard as you seem to be making it.

Also when will you actually realise how the world works in relation to supply and demand. The more a product sells the more that need produced and the cheaper it gets. You can't in the long term artificially drive sales with loss leading prices especially in a market like Optical Media where the blank media is ordered years in advance (so even if a loss leader on the discs was going to drive sales significantly they wouldn't see a price drop in their media for while. And its unlikely to as the key sales force is actually on the hardware front, it was the point where DVD players suddenly reached the budget levels did it for DVD and BD hardware doesn't yet have the market where budget players can be produced for sale in the £20-40 range although they are falling). Thats another reason why DVD's are now dirt cheap as the sale figures have dropped at a rate that's quicker than expected so they have commitments for media buys that sales projections now suggest they may struggle to shift so cutting their margins makes sense so as not to get stuck with media they have no use for.

Oh and perhaps you should also learn how shops work. Shelf and storage space costs money so its hardly surprising that supermarkets who aren't the first port of call for your average optical media buyer are streamlining their offerings to items that they know they can either a) sell to causal buyers who are in there buying other things but may impulse buy the correct BD b) are confident enough of being able to sell enough copies that they can buy in so much bulk that they can compete on price with the Online retailers who have Lower overheads. After all the likes of Woolworths started getting in trouble when DVD's were selling at their peak and HMV have been struggling since the early 2000’s so you can hardly blame falling media sales for the state of the high street. The high street just isn't suitable any more for stocking a wide variety of products like media where you gain very little from going to the shop as opposed to buying online so any supermarket boss with atleast 2 brain cells is going to cut restrict how much they stock niche products that aren't integral to their primary source of profit
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to live in this strange world where UV has to be viewed on a 2 inch screen, last time you made such a claim lots of people informed you that 10 inch tablets can also play UV but this seems to have fallen on deaf ears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    You seem to live in this strange world where UV has to be viewed on a 2 inch screen, last time you made such a claim lots of people informed you that 10 inch tablets can also play UV but this seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

2" or 10" really does it matter, its still an eye destroying way to watch movies and only the minority do it. Its ok occasionally here and there which of course backs up my point that its for the minority of people doing somthing on the odd occasion, the general consumer should not be forced to pay extra to have these downloadable formats included justy to satisfy the minority. All people want is a blu ray only but we all know why thats not happening at the moment. But it will do, not as quick as I suspected but eventually the studios will wake up and smell the coffee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2" or 10" really does it matter, its still an eye destroying way to watch movies and only the minority do it. Its ok occasionally here and there which of course backs up my point that its for the minority of people doing somthing on the odd occasion, the general consumer should not be forced to pay extra to have these downloadable formats included justy to satisfy the minority. All people want is a blu ray only but we all know why thats not happening at the moment. But it will do, not as quick as I suspected but eventually the studios will wake up and smell the coffee.

Yes it does, I know lots of people who watch movies on ipads and Archos tablets. If you find watching a movie on a 10 inch screen 'eye destroying' I can only recommend you start wearing glasses or get your prescription changed.

You are not forced to pay extra, Blu Rays are expensive because thats how they have been priced, the cost of the raw materials of a Blu Ray is probably less than £1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it does, I know lots of people who watch movies on ipads and Archos tablets. If you find watching a movie on a 10 inch screen 'eye destroying' I can only recommend you start wearing glasses or get your prescription changed.

You are not forced to pay extra, Blu Rays are expensive because thats how they have been priced, the cost of the raw materials of a Blu Ray is probably less than £1.

I have crystal clear perfect vision and thats how I want to keep it, one reason I would never watch movies on midget screens.

As for the other point in your post, well I dont agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have crystal clear perfect vision and thats how I want to keep it, one reason I would never watch movies on midget screens.

If you feel watching movies on 10 inch screens will affect your eyesight, here's an idea don't watch them on a 10 inch screen.

How much extra are you claiming Blu Rays cost as a result of the UV addition.

Blu Rays have always been priced in a certain range and nothing is going to stop that. Releasing Blu Ray movies on their own isn't going to miraculously make them cheaper as the fat cat studios want every penny they can lay their fingers on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suggest you throw your Kindle in the bin immediately if you really think watching on a tablet or a phone (who's screens are actually usually 3.5-4 inches rather than 2) is going to destroy your eyesight.

Reading text requires a lot more focus and strain than watching video does which is why you could spend all day watching movies on any LCD device without a problem but reading documents on the same screen for the same period would cause you issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you feel watching movies on 10 inch screens will affect your eyesight, here's an idea don't watch them on a 10 inch screen.
    How much extra are you claiming Blu Rays cost as a result of the UV addition.

Blu Rays have always been priced in a certain range and nothing is going to stop that. Releasing Blu Ray movies on their own isn't going to miraculously make them cheaper as the fat cat studios want every penny they can lay their fingers on.

You clearly have not been reading my previous posts, I dont watch movies on midget screens.

Blu rays prices have got nothing to do with material costs its the way DP/TP are kept high just because they are multi format, its a money maker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    I suggest you throw your Kindle in the bin immediately if you really think watching on a tablet or a phone (who's screens are actually usually 3.5-4 inches rather than 2) is going to destroy your eyesight.

Reading text requires a lot more focus and strain than watching video does which is why you could spend all day watching movies on any LCD device without a problem but reading documents on the same screen for the same period would cause you issues.

The Kindle does not give any eyestrain to cause long term damage, no more then reading a book does, and certainly nowhere near the like of watching a movie on a high intensity midget screen. Kindles wont ruin anyones eyesight watching movies on a regular basis on midget screens will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You clearly have not been reading my previous posts, I dont watch movies on midget screens.

Blu rays prices have got nothing to do with material costs its the way DP/TP are kept high just because they are multi format, its a money maker.

Your previous posts keep slating movies on 2 inch screens, why don't you just not watch them on 2 inch screen rather than keep moaning about it? You seem to always associate UV with 2 inch screens which is wrong.

No, multi format is not the reason Blu Rays cost more, they cost what they do because the studios set the price to sell them at.

A music album sold at £10 does not cost £10 to produce.
    Forum Member

I wonder how long it will be before you realise that just simply cutting the cost of BD will not affect the growth of Blu ray significantly, Why? Because you have not taken the main factor into consideration, which is......

The consumer needs additional equipment to be able to play/view BD, namely a BD player, a HD TV or in some cases both are needed and are a required purchase. Consumers are not going to start flooding the market buying Blu ray players and HD TV's just because the cost of the media has been slashed by a couple of quid, all that would happen is those who have embraced the format will get a slightly better deal.

DVD was very different, apart from the player other additional equipment was not needed, once the price of the players dropped the format picked up pace.

Another area you fail to recognise is the mobile device market, this is massive, ipod, ipad, iphone and all other android devices, consumers want to access the Internet and TV over these devices, they can play video's like You Tube, watch Sky Channels and Freeview TV on them now, with UV they can download/store their movies and watch these on them too. You may not find this useful, that's fair enough, but to claim the majority of consumers have exactly the same view as yourself does not strengthen your argument or add any credibility to it either, you can only speak for yourself.

Suggesting supermarkets are reducing their BD stock because DP/TP releases have inflated prices is frankly so stupid beyond words.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually most of the markup comes from the retailer. The general rule for most products is 70%. So a £15 BD would see £10.50 being the retailers markup with them purchasing the disc from the distributor for £4.50.

And I think many people actually don't realise how many cost factors there are in producing a BD disc.

You have fixed costs such as the cost of producing the master, creating all the artwork and other fixed costs relating to production of the media. These get split between all the discs you produce so if you expect to sell 1m copies it will be lower per disc than if you expect to sell 1k

Then you have the variable costs that are on a per disc basis which includes the media costs, the labelling costs, the master replication costs, the insert and cover printing, the shrink wrapping. The last time I read an article on the cost they were saying these variable costs came to around £1 as opposed to just under 40p for DVD but it was over a year ago so no doubt its a bit lower now.

Then you have the Licencing costs. They have to pay a yearly admin fee to be able to even use the Bluray logos and tarde marks then for every single pieces of technology/codec/encryption on the disc they have to pay a yearly admin and then a per piece royalty. The admin fees are fixed costs so get spread over every disc (and not just that single movie) they produce that year that uses that tech so that works out fairly minor but the per piece ones are worse. Each is only a few pence but the licences that have are required are numorous including

AACS encryption (more than 1 type on each disc)
    Macrovision
    BD+
    Video Codec (usually one or more of MPEG2, MPEG4, AVC or VC1)
    Audio Codec (Dolby Digital and usually The Dolby HD codec and often the DTS-ES codec. On some also the THX Licencing)
    The Menu Software such as Java

So its certainly a lot more complex than just the cost of the actual disc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kindle does not give any eyestrain to cause long term damage, no more then reading a book does, and certainly nowhere near the like of watching a movie on a high intensity midget screen. Kindles wont ruin anyones eyesight watching movies on a regular basis on midget screens will.

To read text your eyes have to focus more than they do moving images. You don't need focus in the same way on moving images. Yes reading text doesn't generally cause issues as long as the lighting is good but neither does watching movies. The issues that watching movies is more with your brain chemistry relating to the backlight rather than your eyes.