America Horror Story Coven

2»

Comments

• waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Really strong first episode.
    I hope it continues like this. The cast is really good as always.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Frances Conroy's eye? I didn't realise it was real in Murder House, but from pictures online, it seems that one eye has been "different" in all pictures I can find dated from 2010 time (where as all pictures before her eyes are "normal")?

I assume she was in some sort of accident or something, but there is literally nothing I can find online about it.

I tried to do some digging around as I have definitely read what accident she was in, but I couldn't find anything. But yes, she was in an accident and almost went blind and lost her eye. I think it might have been a car crash.

And I loved this first episode. Can't wait for more! Kathy Bates is just crazy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Being a big fan of the AHS series, I was really looking forward to the start of Coven. The only thing that ruined the first episode for me was
    the gang rape scene
    - I'm so sick of seeing
    rape scenes
    in American Horror Story; we've had one every series so far!

It seems for Ryan Murphy the thought process is: horror genre -> female characters ->
    rape
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a big fan of the AHS series, I was really looking forward to the start of Coven. The only thing that ruined the first episode for me was
    the gang rape scene
    - I'm so sick of seeing
    rape scenes
    in American Horror Story; we've had one every series so far!

It seems for Ryan Murphy the thought process is: horror genre -> female characters ->
    rape

I agree. I enjoyed the horrific opening scenes, but afterwards I felt that the first episode wavered between high camp (which is, I suppose, usual) and scenes which felt gratuitous and obscenely 'shocking' rather than just 'scary'. This includes the scene you mention and the final scene with Zoe and the frat boy in hospital. It was more 'ew' than 'eek'.

Nevertheless, Lange and Bates were (as expected) fantastic. I'm just not sure about the Hogwarts (which was even joked about) storyline set up. Not that I'll judge this fantastic series on the first episode of a new season!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay, they have another actress who has Downs syndrome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, they have another actress who has Downs syndrome.

It's the same actress who was in season one as 'Addie'.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4661932/
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    It's the same actress who was in season one as 'Addie'.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4661932/

Oh cheers for the info, I didn't recognise her, I think she's put on a bit more weight compared to last season.

But I'm glad they are still using her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh cheers for the info, I didn't recognise her, I think she's put on a bit more weight compared to last season.

But I'm glad they are still using her.

No problem, I think she's a great actress and was glad to see her return. Now if only Naomi Gross could make a reappearance! :)
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    You really think the 'R' scenes are worse than the beginning?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel Jessica Lange isn't really doing anything different in performance.
    Look at Lily and Frances. In the first episode, they had one scene each but they were doing something we hadn't seen Moira/Angel of Death and Nora/Eunice do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Frances Conroy's eye? I didn't realise it was real in Murder House, but from pictures online, it seems that one eye has been "different" in all pictures I can find dated from 2010 time (where as all pictures before her eyes are "normal")?

I assume she was in some sort of accident or something, but there is literally nothing I can find online about it.

It was rumored to be a car accident but on the audio commentary for the American Horror Story pilot, Ryan Murphy said she opened a closet door and a rake fell on her eye and discolored it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I was actually abit disappointed with the first episode. I think it could have been stronger. I'm hoping it will pick up and get better.

Lily Rabe and Evan Peter had small parts - hopefully they will come back in other episodes

It was nice to see the actress that played Addie in Season 1 back.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    This clocks in at under 40 minutes (38 minutes):eek:

And it's a cable show (does this channel have ads?).

It was bad enough when 'Lost' was scrape past 40 minutes.

Oh for the days when Dallas would last 50 minutes.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    This clocks in at under 40 minutes (38 minutes):eek:

And it's a cable show (does this channel have ads?).

It was bad enough when 'Lost' was scrape past 40 minutes.

Oh for the days when Dallas would last 50 minutes.

My download lasts 48 minutes and has no ad breaks :p

RE: Evan, We already know that some witches can bring back the dead. My bet is that Fiona will bring him back. He is also billed as main cast, so it's a certain he'll be back either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe some of you are that stupid to assume Evan and Lily have been killed off in the first episode despite being in the opening credits.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I can't believe some of you are that stupid to assume Evan and Lily have been killed off in the first episode despite being in the opening credits.

I don't think anyone has said that they're gone for good? Opening credits mean little anyway. In Angel, for example, sometimes characters got opening billing only to be killed off a few episodes later ;)

Would you like a hand getting off your high horse now? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    MissySmith wrote: »
    You really think the 'R' scenes are worse than the beginning?

Do you mean the opening credits?
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I agree. I enjoyed the horrific opening scenes, but afterwards I felt that the first episode wavered between high camp (which is, I suppose, usual) and scenes which felt gratuitous and obscenely 'shocking' rather than just 'scary'. This includes the scene you mention and the final scene with Zoe and the frat boy in hospital. It was more 'ew' than 'eek'.

Nevertheless, Lange and Bates were (as expected) fantastic. I'm just not sure about the Hogwarts (which was even joked about) storyline set up. Not that I'll judge this fantastic series on the first episode of a new season!

Yes! My thoughts exactly. I'm really hoping things improve as the series progresses - I mean, how often do we get to see the likes of Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett together on the same show??