NFL 2014-15 thread

Comments

• BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Apparently it would be illegal under EU law.

I don't think it would be illegal under EU law as it would affect everyone equally regardless of nationality which is the main thing when it comes to EU law.

The reason it can't happen in our football is that, unlike the NFL, our football is a global game. If the Premier League unilaterally introduced a salary cap then they would just lose all their best players to Germany or Spain or Russia or China etc. NFL players have nowhere else to go (sorry the CFL doesn't count).
    Can anyone explain how the salary cap works in NFL? Is it strictly enforced? Some teams seem to be spending a lot more on wages than others? Plus so signing on fees count as part of the salary cap? I believe Drew Bees was given a huge signing on fee.

Also when someone signs a contract - what does it mean by a part of the contract is guaranteed? Is the rest performance and appearances bonuses?

In the NFL the salary cap is strictly enforced but it is so complicated that teams are able to massage it and work around it. For example they can structure the contracts so that there is a low cap charge in the first year and higher charges in later years. The signing on bonus is deemed to be spread over the length of the contract so if they sign a 6 year deal with a 12 million bonus then the cap charge from that bonus will only be 2 million in each individual year. So a team might sign a player on a 6 year deal with a 12 million bonus and be physically paying a player for example 14 million dollars this year but if that is 12 million in bonus and a 2 million base salary then the charge against the cap would only be 4 million.

However you only have to look at Dallas to see that ultimately if you don't manage the cap well you will pay for it eventually.

As for the guaranteed money, players in the NFL can be cut at any time regardless of the length of their contract. Even if someone signs a 6 year deal they could be cut after the first year and they wouldn't get their salaries due to them in the last 5 years of the contract they signed. The only stuff they know they will get is the signing bonus so that is called the guaranteed money. Their base salary for each season is only guaranteed if they are still on the roster past a certain date in that season.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »
    Isn't there a salary cap in Super League?

Sorry I was confusing the salary cap with a maximum wage per player, which I believe is illegal under EU law.
    Forum Member
    Has anyone bought tickets for the Wembley games this year btw? I bought a season ticket for the first time, the choice of seats for STs were a lot better than I was offered last year for individual tickets. Have got a seat 6 rows back on the top tier, around level with the 30 yard line, which should give a great view.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Sorry I was confusing the salary cap with a maximum wage per player, which I believe is illegal under EU law.

Yep that is illegal.

Shame a salary cap can't work in the PL, it would make it interesting and would stop clubs like Chelsea having 412 midfielders on their books.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone bought tickets for the Wembley games this year btw? I bought a season ticket for the first time, the choice of seats for STs were a lot better than I was offered last year for individual tickets. Have got a seat 6 rows back on the top tier, around level with the 30 yard line, which should give a great view.

I've sat on the 1st and 2nd row on the upper tier for the Broncos - 49ers, Rams - Patriots and Buccaneers - Bears games and the views are amazing. Get to see the play develop but lacks the atmosphere of the lower tiers. Last year I was on the lower tier on the corner with the endzone, totally different view but great.

I'm off to the Raiders/Dolphins and Jags/Cowboys this year, I'm in the Black hole endzone with the crazy Raiders fans, can't wait.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    I don't think it would be illegal under EU law as it would affect everyone equally regardless of nationality which is the main thing when it comes to EU law.

The reason it can't happen in our football is that, unlike the NFL, our football is a global game. If the Premier League unilaterally introduced a salary cap then they would just lose all their best players to Germany or Spain or Russia or China etc. NFL players have nowhere else to go (sorry the CFL doesn't count).

In the NFL the salary cap is strictly enforced but it is so complicated that teams are able to massage it and work around it. For example they can structure the contracts so that there is a low cap charge in the first year and higher charges in later years. The signing on bonus is deemed to be spread over the length of the contract so if they sign a 6 year deal with a 12 million bonus then the cap charge from that bonus will only be 2 million in each individual year. So a team might sign a player on a 6 year deal with a 12 million bonus and be physically paying a player for example 14 million dollars this year but if that is 12 million in bonus and a 2 million base salary then the charge against the cap would only be 4 million.

However you only have to look at Dallas to see that ultimately if you don't manage the cap well you will pay for it eventually.

As for the guaranteed money, players in the NFL can be cut at any time regardless of the length of their contract. Even if someone signs a 6 year deal they could be cut after the first year and they wouldn't get their salaries due to them in the last 5 years of the contract they signed. The only stuff they know they will get is the signing bonus so that is called the guaranteed money. Their base salary for each season is only guaranteed if they are still on the roster past a certain date in that season.

Don't the players only get paid during the regular season, playoffs & super bowl as they are bonus payments if they're added onto the contract?

As for salary caps, it would only work in Football if it was introduced Worldwide, it works in sports like Super League & NFL as they only have a one or a couple of professional leagues.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Fixtures out in a few weeks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307352/article/opponents-set-for-2014-nfl-season

Denver @ Seattle nailed on for the opening Thursday night game, IMO.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fixtures out in a few weeks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307352/article/opponents-set-for-2014-nfl-season

Denver @ Seattle nailed on for the opening Thursday night game, IMO.

49ers @ Seahawks please Mr Goodell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They usually stick to an intra-conference match so 49ers @ Seahawks is the most likely.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cincinnati Bengals have signed a new stadium deal that allows them to play 2 'home' games in London over a five year period- http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/04/17/bengals-deal-with-county-benefits-international-play/7841231/
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    They usually stick to an intra-conference match so 49ers @ Seahawks is the most likely.

The 49ers have been lined up to open the new stadium in week 2 and that is the type of occasion that would be good on SNF, so can't see them been on NBC for the 1st 2 weeks so my money would be on the Packers or Cowboys 2 teams that would give the league the massive ratings they like for opening night.
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    The Cincinnati Bengals have signed a new stadium deal that allows them to play 2 'home' games in London over a five year period- http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/04/17/bengals-deal-with-county-benefits-international-play/7841231/

The report also states all NFL stadia must now have wifi and feature a massive HD tv screen - look at the 100m + monster being installed by the Jags

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/10/jacksonville-jaguars-giant-scoreboards/

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    my money would be on the Packers or Cowboys 2 teams that would give the league the massive ratings they like for opening night.

You called it right, Packers @ Seahawks is the opening game.

Full schedule released now:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/week/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seattle @ 49ers is the Thanksgiving evening game instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone staying up to watch the Draft tonight?
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching. Interested to see who the Jags will go for first and where Manziel will end up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here. I guess the Texans will get Jadeveon Clowney at 1, and Johnny Football will end up at the Vikings, but I'm probably totally wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering is I can make it through to the Pats pick at number 29 (they'll probably trade down when we get there anyway :D)

I'll probably be asleep by pick 5 :sleep:

20 seconds in and they're off to a break! Don't ya just love American TV, it's going to be a long night.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to wait until 31 for my team. No chance of staying awake that long.

The draft is open. The Texans are now on the clock........tense.......drama...and lets go to a commercial break :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see if Dallas really won't pick Manziel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1*Jadeveon Clowney DE Texans
    2*Greg Robinson OT Rams
    3*Blake Bortles QB Jaguars
    4*Sammy Watkins WR Bills
    5*Khalil Mack OLB Raiders
    6*Jake Matthews OT Falcons
    7*Mike Evans WR Buccaneers
    8*Justin Gilbert DB Browns
    9*Anthony Barr OLB Vikings
    10*Eric Ebron TE Lions
    11*Taylor Lewan OT Titans
    12*Odell Beckham Jr. WR Giants
    13*Aaron Donald DT Rams
    14*Kyle Fuller DB Bears
    15*Ryan Shazier OLB Steelers
    16*Zack Martin OT Cowboys
    17*C.J. Mosley ILB Ravens
    18*Calvin Pryor S Jets
    19*Ja'Wuan James OT Dolphins
    20*Brandin Cooks WR Saints
    21*Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S Packers
    22*Johnny Manziel QB Browns
    23*Dee Ford DE Chiefs
    24*Darqueze Dennard DB Bengals
    25*Jason Verrett DB Chargers
    26*Marcus Smith DE Eagles
    27*Deone Bucannon S Cardinals
    28*Kelvin Benjamin WR Panthers
    29*Dominique Easley DT Patriots
    30*Jimmie Ward S 49ers
    31*Bradley Roby DB Broncos
    32*Teddy Bridgewater QB Vikings

That's the 1st Round done.

How does everyone feel it went for your team? The Pats picked a guy at 29 who most people seem to think is a top 5 talent but for his massive injury concerns. He's already had two separate ACL surgeries on his knees so it's a case of if they can get him on the field he'll be a monster but he could break down any minute.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Interesting to see if Dallas really won't pick Manziel.

Well they didn't. Poor kid looked gutted every time someone passed on him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Sam drafted by the Rams with the 249th pick of the draft.

First openly gay player on an NFL roster.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Michael Sam has a bad game and is dropped expect the mainstream media go ballistic and demand an explanation, call for the coach to be fired etc.It will happen.
  • Tim_JarvisTim_Jarvis Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    What record does everyone predict for the Texans next season? Back to certs for the division from 2-14 with JJ and Clowney in tandem or not?