Options

charging a car battery

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
Forum Member
I've not been out in the car for about 10 days! and it's back to work on Monday.

I found my grandads old heath-robinson style battery charger (looks about 40 yrs old!) he used to use it all the time when he came back from long holidays.

Anyhow I wonder if its worth charging the car, and would be grateful for any advice.

I have a relatively new battery (maybe 12 months old - a Unipart GBA 3202), and looking in the Haynes book it says some batteries are maintenance free, I thought that meant I should leave it alone, but don't know if it applies to this battery model.

I am not at all technically minded and just wonder whether I should trickle charge the battery? Or am i better leaving alone. It's not flat, lights come on, and I'm sure it will start. I have a fiat (and don't have the red key). I don't want to balls up anything like immobilisers etc. Things are more complicated now than in my grandads day I guess. :rolleyes: I'm leaning more towards just leaving it alone, but I want to take any sensible measures I can before I get the car out next week, I don't want any problems with it if I get caught in a blizzard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if it will start the car don't bother! it will charge when you drive it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Thanks Keefy.

I think you're right. I'm just worried because some people had 5 or 6 hour journeys in the snow (instead of 45mins) and we're forecast more snow on Monday. If I had to stop start a lot I could be in trouble.
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Keefy.

I think you're right. I'm just worried because some people had 5 or 6 hour journeys in the snow (instead of 45mins) and we're forecast more snow on Monday. If I had to stop start a lot I could be in trouble.

Trickle charge will do no harm connecy up switch on read the amps the amps will decrease as battery accepts charge nearer to 0 amps reading the better up to 1 hour should be fine if battery not completely flat.

Only way mine starts in minus 8 a 6 year old mondeo diesel even had to stick a fan heater on one day. Cheers