What are you reading at the moment? (Part 2)

Comments

• InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    The World Is Full of Married Men - Jackie Collins.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't decide now. Whether to dive into "The Passage" which everyone has been talking about and hyping up, and I have been looking forward too - or go for the one that I have ordered under pressure (because its not my usual genre/liking) because everyone loved it, that being One Day by David Nicholls.

Ah well, one or the other. Any preferences fellow readers? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    The Scar by China Mieville
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Julia Llewellyn- The Model Wife
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have decided to go with "The Passage".

Mainly because my daughter has whipped "One Day" right out from under my nose!
  • ajr493ajr493 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scar by China Mieville

let me know what you think. I loved The City and The City but I'm not sure what to read next of his
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    ajr493 wrote: »
    let me know what you think. I loved The City and The City but I'm not sure what to read next of his

I've also just started reading the scar. I read Perdido Street Station first because my understanding is that The Scar is the next in a series he wrote, Perdido being the first. The others are Iron Council and Looking for Jake and other stories.

I could be wrong and I believe Stoatie to be the authority here.

I personally enjoyed his first King Rat and Perdido Street Station was pretty mind blowing for me! So maybe one of these?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kona wrote: »
    I've also just started reading the scar. I read Perdido Street Station first because my understanding is that The Scar is the next in a series he wrote, Perdido being the first. The others are Iron Council and Looking for Jake and other stories.

I could be wrong and I believe Stoatie to be the authority here.

I personally enjoyed his first King Rat and Perdido Street Station was pretty mind blowing for me! So maybe one of these?

The premise of King Rat doesn't appeal to me but I think Perdido Street may be the next on my list - hope you enjoy The Scar
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Agree with you about Amsterdam .. the good news is you've got In Cold Blood to come .. one of the best books I've ever read. A powerful examination of criminality and its effect on the perpetrators and the community at large

Yes, I am really loving In Cold Blood, it is fantastically written, and I am sort of taking my time with it as I don't want it to end.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Thurman Chimera.

Here's the cover & the blurb.If you love a good thriller with a hint of Sci-Fi then you'll enjoy this :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1HmFiNHDycs/Sud2T9XWu5I/AAAAAAAAGkQ/q8QLbUtkhdc/s1600-h/rob_thurman-Chimera.jpg

From Rob Thurman, national bestselling author of the Cal Leandros Novels, comes a sci-fi thriller that questions what makes us human, what makes us unique . . .

. . . And what makes us kill.

Ten years ago, Stefan Korsak's younger brother was kidnapped. No one knew who took Lukas, or why. He was simply gone. But not a day has passed that Stefan hasn't thought about him. As a rising figure in the Russian mafia, he has finally found him.

But when he rescues Lukas, he must confront a terrible truth--his brother is no longer his brother. He is a killer. Trained, brainwashed, and genetically transformed into a flesh-and-blood machine with only one purpose--assassination. Now, those who created him . . . will do anything to reclaim him.

And the closer Stefan grows to his brother, the more he realizes that saving Lukas may be easier than surviving him…
  • nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently halfway through Jeremy Kyle's first book.

It's basically a 200+ page rant at anyone who'll listen. :D

That said, he's got some good points. He'd make a damn good Prime Minister.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Cathi Unsworth- The Singer
  • GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blind Fury by Lynda La Plante.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Use of Weapons by Ian M Banks - another good one, confusing way of telling the story but it all came together at the end.

Rereading the True Blood books, currently on All Together Dead before reading the latest Janet Evanovich Sizzling Sixteen (I think) - can't say I am that enthused, may have had enough of Stephanie Plum
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Piers Morgan's Confessions of a Big Mouth Brit .. love him or hate him he's back on "insider" form in this latest volume of diaries. But you've got to take some of his celeb encounters with a pinch of salt .. but his self-depreciating sense of humour balances things up.. well, a little!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Truman Capote - In Cold Blood.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    the lovely bones - very sad book. Is the film adaptation good?
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After several weeks of not having time to do any reading for pleasure (only for work:() I've blasted through Henning Mankell's The Man Who Smiled in a few days and just started An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain by John O'Farrell.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished "The Girl who Kicked a Hornet's Nest" .. Superb finale to the Millennium trilogy .. A truly publishing phenomenon ..Normally I'd turn my nose at any novel involving financial intigue, spies, sex trafficking and Scandinavia ..ieg but these 3 books are trully brilliant. Rest in Peace Stieg
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    tough love - kerry katona
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The space trilogy's by C.S.Lewis. Currently on Perelandra
  • Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished "The Girl who Kicked a Hornet's Nest" .. Superb finale to the Millennium trilogy .. A truly publishing phenomenon ..Normally I'd turn my nose at any novel involving financial intigue, spies, sex trafficking and Scandinavia ..ieg but these 3 books are trully brilliant. Rest in Peace Stieg

Is the Millennium Trilogy worth a read? I'm nearly finished House of Leaves and am wondering about this trilogy. I remember it being described as a murder mystery. Would this description do it justice?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaz22 wrote: »
    Is the Millennium Trilogy worth a read? I'm nearly finished House of Leaves and am wondering about this trilogy. I remember it being described as a murder mystery. Would this description do it justice?

I hate murder mysteries and thrillers but loved all three of these books. I was bereft when i finished them. Stieg can be a bit long winded in parts but I just skimmed over those bits. As for description - is a bit of all three with a fantastic unusual female character.

I have just started we need to talk about Kevin but found it a bit heavy after the above three books so given it a rest and gone onto Life of Pi which i am loving
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firewall - Henning Mankell
This discussion has been closed.