Options

The day Strictly ceased to be a dance contest.

Comments

• Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Yes but anyone with eyes can see Pixie was better than Jake and Mark, very few people have degrees in ballroom dancing, but they do have a brain, eyes, and a concept of what dancing should be...

So when they all compete in the national Ballroom Championships, I'm sure Pixie will finish higher than Jake and Mark. However in the light-entertainment-cum-popularity-contest-based-on-dancing world that is Strictly, this is how the sparkly cookie crumbles.

I suggest you read, and digest, chachachavvy's excellent post about what Strictly is and has always been...it might save you having to fork out for blood pressure medication.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    jeanoj wrote: »
    Exactly! People were saying last night in the spoiler thread that there would be some very angry people on here tonight and they weren't wrong. I thought Simon danced better and he was the right one to be saved.

OK jean but imagine if your favourite had outdanced Simon every week but this one, how would you feel if the judges dumped out your favourite over one dance. It's ridiculous and Pixie is not my favourite, Frankie is.
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Havent we heard this year in, year out but its still going and people are still watching it, and still moaning. That's the joy of it all.

Difference is the best dancer hasn't ever left this early before. The best dancer not finishing first is one thing, the best dancer finishing 6th is another... The lowest any other "best" has finished is 3rd...
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but anyone with eyes can see Pixie was better than Jake and Mark, very few people have degrees in ballroom dancing, but they do have a brain, eyes, and a concept of what dancing should be...

Erm, no. Some may think she is the best dancer, but her dancing does nothing for me. Right result IMVHO.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Pixie has danced brilliant all through the series and then just slightly below par in one dance and she out. That's wrong, very wrong.

That is and always has been the nature of the show - if you have an iffy week, anyone can go.

Obviously people enjoyed watching Jake and Mark more (and I can see their routines were certainly more entertaining to watch than Simon's or Pixie's). None of the people left are terrible, hence to the general public - who won't be judging based upon 'was his arm quite straight enough for that to be perfect' - it's down to who they enjoy watching. Totally fair.
    So she's beaten him most weeks. I give up.

The judges are only supposed to judge the Dance Off based upon that week's dance. That's what they did. It was much of a muchness between Simon and Pixie tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member

There are thousands of backing singers out there with better voices than Bob Dylan or Debbie Harry but they don't have whatever it takes to make it as artists in their own right. It's not just about being technically good.
  • Options
    alimyleralimyler Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    It is disgusting, I am a Frankie fan but bl**dy hell that result was pathetic. The judges must have an agenda here.

The judges did not get rid of Pixie. The public vote did. If enough people had voted for her she would not be in the dance off. She was given top marks by the judges for the Waltz so they did their bit to save her. Her Cha Cha was not great and Simon was better in the dance off.
    There was no agenda.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a Pixie fan but the judges should be sacked. Possibly the best dancer in the competition and she's just dumped by them. I won't watch next year, these RTV shows are just pants now.
    SOME of the judges. I don't know how Darcey had the gall to look upset.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she's beaten him most weeks. I give up.

But she was not as good as Simon, when it mattered....in the dance off.
  • Options
    joh1965joh1965 Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    It has never been a dance contest, John Sergeant had to fall on his sword as he was afraid he'd win the whole thing, and look how far Russell Grant got. Personally I vote for who I like the most, which this series hasn't been Pixie
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alimyler wrote: »
    The judges did not get rid of Pixie. The public vote did. If enough people had voted for her she would not be in the dance off. She was given top marks by the judges for the Waltz so they did their bit to save her. Her Cha Cha was not great and Simon was better in the dance off.
    There was no agenda.
    He wasn't. Compared to Pixie .. he hardly moved. Even he didn't understand the decision.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But she's boring, even before Strictly there's always been something missing with Pixie. She has the looks, the voice, the dance skills but not the charisma or, dare I say it the X Factor needed to make people connect with her. Jakes might not the best dancer technically, but his routines have probably been the most memorable of the series. Mark has come along with little, if any, dance experience and has grown week on week. He's what the show is about.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did see Chris Parker, but they didn't have a dance off back in the day- and at least Natasha won!

When the best dancer hasn't won (so, technically speaking, Zoe, Rachel, Ali, Denise and Natalie are the only 5 "best" dancers not to win (add Pixie to that list) only once did the person who did win fall noticeably short! Darren came from hero to zero, and you only have to see his Quickstep and American Smooth to see how capable he was in the end. Tom's freestyle and Foxtrot in the final showed he could more than hold his own against Rachel, Louis was as technically strong as Denise, just lacked performance early on, and Abbey wasn't exactly shoddy, especially when the other alternative with Susanna!

(And to be fair, Chris Hollins winning was worth it to stop the vile and arrogant Ricky Whittle winning whilst he was being questioned by the police!)

1st BiB - And in the beginning. His quickstep was his second bloody dance (*never getting over it ever*)

2nd BiB - So it's okay if the best dancer doesn't win over someone vastly inferior technically if you don't like them? Okaaayy. I think you meant to start that sentence with "And to be completely unfair..."
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    SOME of the judges. I don't know how Darcey had the gall to look upset.

Because that's what she does. She is an assassin but it is all done behind this little butter wouldn't melt expression
  • Options
    yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need to get anything through my head. I understand that this isn't a serious dance contest, it's a bit of fun Saturday night family entertainment, most people watching won't understand the concept of ballroom or Latin dancing they just want to be entertained. We get threads like this every single year, sour grapes because a favourite has gone out, the show is still going strong. Get over it.

I agree with most of what you say, apart from the bit about 'most people won't understand the concept of ballroom and latin dancing'. That's a bit of a sweeping statement Vodkadrinka and insulting to most people too. Of course we know what they are. We know what the dances are AND we want to be entertained too. Pixie wouldn't have been in the dance off if she had the public vote. She's only escaped it before because she was much higher up the judges' points table, so her low public vote didn't matter so much. This week it did though, with all the tied scores..
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Simon ever beat Pixie in the judges vote?

Don't know about beaten, but they have been equal a couple of times - as they were this week before the waltz off.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    He wasn't. Compared to Pixie .. he hardly moved. Even he didn't understand the decision.

In my view Pixie did dance better in the dance off.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me laugh how many people are saying "... but it's an entertainment show!", yet most of the forum was up in arms and baffled as to why Scott and Judy continued to get through.

It seems the definition of the show changes depending on the type of contestant you are. I highly doubt this forum was telling each other "it's an entertainment show, though..." when Lisa Riley was getting through each week...
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joh1965 wrote: »
    It has never been a dance contest, John Sergeant had to fall on his sword as he was afraid he'd have to cancel the lucrative cruise ship lecture tour he was booked to do on the expectation he'd be an early boot, and look how far Russell Grant got. Personally I vote for who I like the most, which this series hasn't been Pixie

Fixed your post for you :)
  • Options
    who me?who me? Posts: 17,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sad pixie won't be in the final but Simon was outstanding in the dance off Which is what it should be judged on. Bruno Didn't seem to understand that...

I like Simon but that comment by Len tonight about how clever Kristina was disguising his hands by clicking his fingers or putting his hands on his hips was daft. By this stage surely in a dance contest she should be teaching him what to do with his hands...otherwise they could all come out in a tent and disguise all their faults.

I thought Pixie improved her legs in the dance off and anyway if it was based strictly on the dance off Sunetra would have been still in it this week. I really don't think many thought she was weaker in last weeks dance off.

It does seem to be rules are rules but only when it suits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st BiB - And in the beginning. His quickstep was his second bloody dance (*never getting over it ever*)

2nd BiB - So it's okay if the best dancer doesn't win over someone vastly inferior technically if you don't like them? Okaaayy. I think you meant to start that sentence with "And to be completely unfair..."

Think it may have been a Christmas special then... but he got 40/40 for a reason!

And yes, but the best dancer wasn't Ricky in season 7, it was Ali. I'm still annoyed Chris beat her because I think, in the final, anyone would have beaten Ricky.
  • Options
    joh1965joh1965 Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you :)

LMAO - thanks :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    It makes me laugh how many people are saying "... but it's an entertainment show!", yet most of the forum was up in arms and baffled as to why Scott and Judy continued to get through.

It seems the definition of the show changes depending on the type of contestant you are. I highly doubt this forum was telling each other "it's an entertainment show, though..." when Lisa Riley was getting through each week...

Here bloody here!
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    That is and always has been the nature of the show - if you have an iffy week, anyone can go.

Obviously people enjoyed watching Jake and Mark more (and I can see their routines were certainly more entertaining to watch than Simon's or Pixie's). None of the people left are terrible, hence to the general public - who won't be judging based upon 'was his arm quite straight enough for that to be perfect' - it's down to who they enjoy watching. Totally fair.

The judges are only supposed to judge the Dance Off based upon that week's dance. That's what they did. It was much of a muchness between Simon and Pixie tonight.

So Pixie should have got the benefit of the doubt going on the other shows and their judging.
  • Options
    amelia1730amelia1730 Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    masterquan wrote: »
    How It would have been so much easier to save the pretty white girl. She's more popular than Simon. What does Len or the show have to gain by keeping Simon.
    Its probably the most honest judge decision I've seen on either this or X Factor

I completely agree.