Breaking News: Ebola - Confirmed In Glasgow

Comments

• Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Most security is theatre. The chances of someone developing symptoms mid flight are low and would also require the patient not to report themselves
    The chances of anyone developing symptoms of Ebola mid flight, are just as equal as them developing them anywhere else
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that the media has also revealed how shambolic the so called 'screening' process is, notice how all those posters who poured scorned and derision on the idea that screening may have been below par have quietly disappeared.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link provided by PunksNotDead is suggesting she caught the virus by attending an Xmas Day church service without her hazard suit on.

If this is true, then according to the armchair Ebola experts on here, she must have exchanged bodily fluids with someone who had advanced (ie, beyond the 'fever' stage) Ebola.

Which raises a few questions:

1. How was someone with advanced Ebola well enough to attend church, and also go unnoticed?

2. What was the lady doing to have exchanged bodily fluids with them, in a church?

Or it could it be the method of transferring the disease, isn't as 100% bombproof proven, as some would have us believe. And that there may be slight variations, nuances, of how that could happen?

The link provided by PunksNotDead is suggesting.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that the media has also revealed how shambolic the so called 'screening' process is, notice how all those posters who poured scorned and derision on the idea that screening may have been below par have quietly disappeared.

It's tea-time, some people have other things to do at this time of evening...and that's me out of here for something to eat :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    It's tea-time, some people have other things to do at this time of evening...and that's me out of here for something to eat :)

I just bell my butler to bring my tea!
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why anyone would want to go over there voluntarily. I wouldn't go anywhere near the place knowing what's there. I certainly wouldn't want to risk my health for people I don't know or are bothered about. Let the rest of Africa help them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    The chances of anyone developing symptoms of Ebola mid flight, are just as equal as them developing them anywhere else

And since flying can make you feel like crap anyway, even less chance of picking up on a fever coming on I would have thought.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, just been too busy at work to follow links and post on DS. As far as I can tell we've got one guy saying the procedure's crap and a suggestion about where she might have contracted it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    No, just been too busy at work to follow links and post on DS. As far as I can tell we've got one guy saying the procedure's crap and a suggestion about where she might have contracted it.

You forgot to mention guy in question is in fact a doctor, was part of the returning group and experienced the so called screening procedure himself.
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England to the rescue again !!!!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are you therefore suggesting that the infected nurse in question must have had a good idea she was probably infected before leaving Sierra leone? I mean you would be aware of an Ebola patient coughing and spluttering all over you, wouldn't you?

You must tell me where I suggest that, I replied to you about how when she realised she was unwell at home she followed protocol but you have taken the reply from above to another poster where I linked a piece to say how unlikely it was to be airborne so not sure how that means I suggests she knew she was unwell in Sierra Leone.

If I recall when it was first announced some time ago it was made quite clear by many medical experts that screening would not pick up someone who had just contracted the illness but would probably pick up anyone with a high temperature so it would flag anyone with a cold but not if they just caught Ebola
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there no blood test that can determine the presence of the virus?

I saw a program where they used such in order to ascertain when a patient became clear of ebola, so I think there must be.

That test may have worked by evaluating the level of Ebola antibodies.
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been testing someone for Ebola at our Hospital in Truro this Morning ,
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would want to go over there voluntarily. I wouldn't go anywhere near the place knowing what's there. I certainly wouldn't want to risk my health for people I don't know or are bothered about. Let the rest of Africa help them.

I liken them to the celebrities who appear on Live Aid. They do it for the credit and to make themselves look good to others.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I liken them to the celebrities who appear on Live Aid. They do it for the credit and to make themselves look good to others.

Projection
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot to mention guy in question is in fact a doctor, was part of the returning group and experienced the so called screening procedure himself.

Well yeah, but these things aren't only applicable to him. Maybe the others will all say the same, in which case yeah, but otherwise he's still just one guy. Everyone else might think it was OK. Bit early to call.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So none of them do it to help those who are dieing, to teach the medical people there how to contain the disease ultimately helping to stop the spread to other places on a large scale ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    You must tell me where I suggest that, I replied to you about how when she realised she was unwell at home she followed protocol but you have taken the reply from above to another poster where I linked a piece to say how unlikely it was to be airborne so not sure how that means I suggests she knew she was unwell in Sierra Leone.

Pity she didn't follow protocol whilst in Sierra Leone, she broke strict rule of no bodily contact whilst out in the community by hugging church goers, even if this action is found not to be the point of infection it's bloody irresponsible all the same.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cousin and her husband went to visit their daughter who lives in Uganda for Christmas and the New Year so it will be interesting to see what, if any, 'screening' they go through on their return back here.

I remember when a Politician from Sierra Leone came here a few months ago, he was surprised to find on arrival at Heathrow that though we did have screening in place by then, people were being told it was voluntary!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder how many photo opportunities of their trips will appear on their Facebook profiles, I know that sounds cynical but I can't help thinking it I'm afraid.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Also note that Flu has a vaccine, ebola doesn't. What would you rather take your chances with, the Flu, or Ebola?

The flu virus mutates, so the vaccine is only effective against existing forms of the virus. When a new one comes along (like avian flu or swine flu), the vaccine doesn't protect against it. That's why new strains of influenza are such a concern.

I'm not aware of any evidence that Ebola mutates in this way.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gotta admit, I haven't read through the thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned....

Given that this woman, like the American nurse, was working as part of some official aid program, don't these organisations impose any kind of regulations on their staff to prevent the possibility of infection?

I mean, she was working in Sierra Leone with Ebola victims and, at some point, somebody's decided she should get some time off.
    At that point, wouldn't it be common-sense to transfer personnel to a hotel in Freetown for 14 days, so there is time for any symptoms to manifest themselves, before flying home and, possibly, infecting a heap of people in the process?

Seems rather irresponsible for these organisations to pull people out of the field and bung them straight onto a plane without ensuring they're disease-free.
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    The link provided by PunksNotDead is suggesting.
    It says her colleagues believe it happened in church, as opposed to her say, being vomited on in hospital, or her hazard suit tearing - things that would be classed as 'incidents', and things I'm sure they'd remember, seeing as the lady is now front page news.

They could just be making it up I suppose, but I don't see any reason to
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    cah wrote: »
    Been testing someone for Ebola at our Hospital in Truro this Morning ,

Did they say whee they have been? All they have said in the news so far, is a high risk area.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many photo opportunities of their trips will appear on their Facebook profiles, I know that sounds cynical but I can't help thinking it I'm afraid.

You're cynical about the concept of altruism? If I went to help in another country dropped what I was doing and went to help whether it was just to help, get extra training, develop protocols, out of interest or any other reason I would be proud of it still and post online (if i was on facebook) I wouldnt hide what I was doing as if it was shameful. What they are doing is admirable, that is true but it doesnt mean they are doing it for the kudos. You have to be pretty committed to other peoples praise to go to those lengths and put your life on the line just so people will compliment you. Seems to me that people who think this are selfish themselves and wouldnt have that level of compassion or drive so project their selfishness on to others. No offence