Michelle, you're the embarrassment

Comments

• Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I agree that her thinking everyone will all judge gay people based on perez is silly, but maybe she knows they are going to make perez look unstable and just doesn't want simpletons to think every gay is like that.

Regardless, I just looked at a lot of the topics you start on here, a lot to do with gay rights and discrimination, yet you call someone with your best interests at heart embarrassing and cringe worthy. Thats what i don't understand. Your fighting against someone on your side.

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. You're implying I shouldn't criticise Michelle purely because she loves gay people.

I'm glad she supports gay rights of course, but I'm not going to let her silly comments slide purely because of that.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    To be honest the majority of gay people on twitter are very happy they have her to "represent them".

What i find more embarrassing and cringe worthy is anyone who is actually gay themselves having a problem with someone who has spent so much time sticking up for and fighting for gay rights.
    They should be happy.

I agree with this to a degree, she doesn't 'represent' me, but she's an excellent advocate for LGBT rights and for that alone she should be supported. She is saying the stuff about Perez being a drama queen may tar the whole community as there will be people who see it as a stereotype (the camp, OTT, histrionic, sexuality defined male) which in turn perpetuates that if you're gay you must have some of those attributes- People do seriously think like that, and its weird.
  • boy_number_8boy_number_8 Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Oh come on, that's ridiculous. You're implying I shouldn't criticise Michelle purely because she loves gay people.

I'm glad she supports gay rights of course, but I'm not going to let her silly comments slide purely because of that.

I wasn't saying that at all.
    I personally just would have at least shown that you were glad she supports gay rights first and then talked about how shes doing it the wrong way. Instead of just attacking her.

But everyones different. :)
  • exodus2uexodus2u Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    She defended a straight man talking about the "ass ****" look on a gay man's face on the grounds that he was 'provoked' into saying it

She got no business speaking for gay people after that

This!
  • tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who does she think she is, she thinks Gay people should act a certain way. Gay, Straight, Bi, or whatever people are people all with completely different personalities, different qualities be they positive or negative.
  • Odette ValmontOdette Valmont Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether you like it or not, Michelle is a gay icon. So yes, she speaks for many gay people - not all, but many. The sudden hate for her is completely unwarranted and ridiculous in my opinion. I'm just drained by the comments from people who have no idea who she is or what she stands for.

I just have one thing to say to Michelle's haters: If you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else? :D

Michelle honey, you're still my Queen! <3
    Forum Member
    I wasn't saying that at all.
    I personally just would have at least shown that you were glad she supports gay rights first and then talked about how shes doing it the wrong way. Instead of just attacking her.

But everyones different. :)

I would have thought that goes without saying. You won't find many gay people that criticise someone for being pro equality.

Like I said, I'm criticising her for trying to imply the UK public is thick enough to assume the actions of one gay man represents all gay people. With the legalisation of same sex marriage, surely it should be obvious to her that she's currently in a country where more people are for equality than against it.
  • Nearly NewNearly New Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I agree with this to a degree, she doesn't 'represent' me, but she's an excellent advocate for LGBT rights and for that alone she should be supported. She is saying the stuff about Perez being a drama queen may tar the whole community as there will be people who see it as a stereotype (the camp, OTT, histrionic, sexuality defined male) which in turn perpetuates that if you're gay you must have some of those attributes- People do seriously think like that, and its weird.

Of course there's no camp histrionics or stereotypes on RuPaul's Drag Race, oh no!

I liked her for the first few episodes, especially the way she handled Ken, but her constant "I love the Gays" "I love England" doesn't blind me to her overall conduct in the house since.

A shame she can't handle Perez in a much more mature way than the schoolgirl bully she has descended into.
    Forum Member
    Whether you like it or not, Michelle is a gay icon. So yes, she speaks for many gay people - not all, but many. The sudden hate for her is completely unwarranted and ridiculous in my opinion. I'm just drained by the comments from people who have no idea who she is or what she stands for.

I just have one thing to say to Michelle's haters: If you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else? :D

I'd wager that less gay people in the UK are aware of her than are.

Also, I didn't say I "hate" her; I just pointed out the ridiculousness of her rants about Perez's behaviour.

Also, who says I don't love myself? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether you like it or not, Michelle is a gay icon. So yes, she speaks for many gay people - not all, but many.

Not for me she doesn't.
    The sudden hate for her is completely unwarranted and ridiculous in my opinion. I'm just drained by the comments from people who have no idea who she is or what she stands for.

She stands for herself mostly. She can't pretend to imagine some of the homophobic crap I've gone through in my life.

if she wants to fight our corner don't remind us at every opportunity for a pat on the back.

A trite and unoriginal soundbite that has no bearing on her conduct in the house.
  • Panda EyesPanda Eyes Posts: 4,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Deep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that goes without saying. You won't find many gay people that criticise someone for being pro equality.

Like I said, I'm criticising her for trying to imply the UK public is thick enough to assume the actions of one gay man represents all gay people. With the legalisation of same sex marriage, surely it should be obvious to her that she's currently in a country where more people are for equality than against it.

David Cameron is pro equality. I still think he's a tosspot.
    Forum Member
    Panda Eyes wrote: »
    David Cameron is pro equality. I still think he's a tosspot.

You misunderstand me.

I said few people would criticise someone for being pro equality. Not that few people would criticise someone who IS pro equality.

Big difference there. :p
  • Odette ValmontOdette Valmont Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep.
    You know it, gurl! Can I get an Amen? ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You misunderstand me.

I said few people would criticise someone for being pro equality. Not that few people would criticise someone who IS pro equality.

Big difference there. :p

I didn't misunderstand you. I can admire someone for taking a liberal and inclusive view on one thing and dislike every other aspect of them as a person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really sorry to have to say this. But, if she honestly thinks a man like Perez will suddenly make non-homophobes homophobes, then she doesn't have a brain. Because, even if he was perfect and not a complete and utter tool, that won't make homophobes, suddenly non-homophobes.
    I think there's more to it than that. Surely.

Also, have i even spelled that word correctly? Sorry if I haven't.

Of course I could be wrong on that so i'm prepared to be corrected.
  • DarkmarsupialDarkmarsupial Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Thing is, if Alexander had done something annoying and Michelle had proceeded to say that he was an embarrassment to the black community, I like to think everybody would be quite rightly offended and disgusted.

If anybody else had decided to associate Perez's sexuality to his awful behaviour when there is no link, they would have been quite justifiably accused of homophobia. But apparently, as it's 'Queen Michelle', she can say anything.

Dreadful woman and terribly narrow-minded of her sycophantic fans to support her on the way she brings his irrelevant sexuality into the equation
    Forum Member
    I didn't misunderstand you. I can admire someone for taking a liberal and inclusive view on one thing and dislike every other aspect of them as a person.

I still think you're misunderstanding me, because I agree with your above statement, yet you're delivering it in a way that implies you're challenging my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful woman and terribly narrow-minded of her sycophantic fans to support her on the way she brings his irrelevant sexuality into the equation

Absolutely. I can just imagine them yelping and clapping at everything she says and does on Drag Race and finding it all profound.

Fortunately a large section of the gay community has a brain and the capability of independent thought and we're seeing her pink pound grandstanding at every opportunity to be rather pathetic.

The UK is far too cynical to buy such bullshit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think you're misunderstanding me, because I agree with your above statement, yet you're delivering it in a way that implies you're challenging my view.

Then the misunderstanding is all yours because I'm not.
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Michelle is a true educator. When she first went in I liked her but she has educated me not to.

She has 'educated' me that equality in her eyes means it is OK to bully people with low self esteem. (waves to Alicia)

She has educated me that someone can be so up their own orifices that they think one person has to conform to some imagined idea of behaviour or peoples perception of the LGBT community will flounder...hey equality...any gender or sexuality can be a poopyhole . Perez is a WUM and he wasn't having an imaginary shag with an alcove because he's gay ..he was doing it because he thought it was 'fun'. I'm sure even bonkers as he possibly is that he didn't think he was 'speaking' for an entire community or sexuality or even country as our luverly educator would have us believe.
    Forum Member
    Then the misunderstanding is all yours because I'm not.

If you say so, love.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

Why is Michelle a gay icon and why are you happy to allow a heterosexual woman speak for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you say so, love.

Bit patronising, never mind could be misunderstanding this time round.
    Forum Member
    Bit patronising, never mind could be misunderstanding this time round.

Wasn't intended to be patronising. Basically I was saying let's agree to disagree.

Back to the to the topic at hand...