Bad of Katie over alphabet?

Comments

• milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am dyslexic and I read all the time, I have A'Levels but actually reciting the Alphabet can be tricky...one problem with Dyslexia is that letters get confused...I found LMNO, was the part that could get muddled up....It is embarrassing, like I can miss read a word that is normally easy. Or forget how to spell something I have written for years...Dyslexia can vary and maybe she was always put in the lowest streams and not bothered with.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    I am dyslexic and I read all the time, I have A'Levels but actually reciting the Alphabet can be tricky...one problem with Dyslexia is that letters get confused...I found LMNO, was the part that could get muddled up....It is embarrassing, like I can miss read a word that is normally easy. Or forget how to spell something I have written for years...Dyslexia can vary and maybe she was always put in the lowest streams and not bothered with.
    It's ok Millie I am too, I put extra letters into everything that's my big weakness. People look at it like ...what?? Lol I also have to say the alphabet if someone asked me "what comes after...whatever" .
  • hihopeshihopes Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Georgia didn't get the grades that she was hoping to get and as a result she gave up doing photography A Level at college because she felt like she couldn't catch up,' Alicia said.

'I feel bad about that because I never went to college so I didn't realise how important it was but I don't regret having the surgery because it's made me happier. And if you're a happy person, then your kids will be too.' "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2157651/Alicia-Douvall-admits-tough-single-mother-says-win-paternity-battle.html#ixzz3PVEvSFPR

Stupid, stupid woman. And her selfishness is just a sad result of her ignorance and stupidity. I hate how we defend people like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hihopes wrote: »
    Stupid, stupid woman. And her selfishness is just a sad result of her ignorance and stupidity. I hate how we defend people like this.
    And yet tiger mums are soooo awsome
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    And yet tiger mums are soooo awsome

The world is not divided into people who force their kid to babysit instead of do A Levels.... and Tiger Mums.

You really want to stand up for her after reading such a story?
  • Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was low of Katie, but it was hardly a secret as she said it on BB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to really know my thoughts , the reason I'd never enter BB is people are not just happy judging on the actions within the house. They have to dig around and find history to suite there own agenda whilst maintaining there own glass tower. "Look! Look at this!! This is why she's/he's vile!!! Look!!" Like we are are all infallible? Come off it. The shows about what they do in there. You want to understand why they are as they are fine, go look. Just don't act like judge jury and executioner because of some article. We may not agree with what's been done, but we only know what the media has told us. I hate KH...yet at times I've seen a funny side or softer side to her. Something I'd never seen if it were not for BB. Would I vote to save her? No. She's also acted like a **** in there. Do I think I need to defend Alicia after that article? No. It's got nothing to do with any of us...do I feel I need to defend her treatment in the house? Yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purple. wrote: »
    It was low of Katie, but it was hardly a secret as she said it on BB.
    I think her point was we all saw it, the rest of the house didn't know and didn't need to know like that. Otherwise she'd have told them.
  • dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member
    I think her point was we all saw it, the rest of the house didn't know and didn't need to know like that. Otherwise she'd have told them.

They must all share a lot of stuff on a one to one basis, Knowing most personal stuff is edited out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dialectic wrote: »
    They must all share a lot of stuff on a one to one basis, Knowing most personal stuff is edited out.

In which case we can't tell if she did say it in confidence (in regards to the HM ) or not. I'm guessing she's not said it to others else why would she say in confidence?
  • dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member
    In which case we can't tell if she did say it in confidence (in regards to the HM ) or not. I'm guessing she's not said it to others else why would she say in confidence?

I believe she thought it was in confidence, as she took it as a private conversation.
  • onfencewithrachonfencewithrach Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member
    LoftusDS wrote: »
    It's not the fact she has kids that concerns me (ok a little) but the fact that she intends to home school them. I think home schooling is terrible in any form.

I don't really agree with homeschooling, i don't like it... i agree with that, but there's a lot of things that parents do that i don't agree with and as i'm not the authority of all parents to force them how to live their lives and parent their kids i don't know what someone can do about that other than disagree and express themselves.

Not that all schools/teachers are great, i had the misfortune of having some of the worst teachers imaginable for example... there is also more to gain than the learning with getting involved in the school and the social aspects which in fairness doesn't always work for each student where some might be excluded but i see it as the preferable path to homeschooling if there's a choice.

From what i understand her daughter is 3? I'm not sure if she meant she was teaching her at an early age but then was going to have her daughter go to school later, or if she meant that it was going to be an ongoing thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dialectic wrote: »
    I believe she thought it was in confidence, as she took it as a private conversation.

Aye that was my thought too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    do I feel I need to defend her treatment in the house? Yes.

Why? That mindset always confuses me. I enjoy reading discussions to see people's general opinions, but 'defending' the housemates is completely pointless. None of us have any say in what goes on in the house nor will any of the housemates give a shit whether we back them or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? That mindset always confuses me. I enjoy reading discussions to see people's general opinions, but 'defending' the housemates is completely pointless. None of us have any say in what goes on in the house nor will any of the housemates give a shit whether we back them or not.
    Mainly because what happens in there happens in the real world. It's not her I'm defending it's the behaviour directed towards her in general.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I don't really agree with homeschooling, i don't like it... i agree with that, but there's a lot of things that parents do that i don't agree with and as i'm not the authority of all parents to force them how to live their lives and parent their kids i don't know what someone can do about that other than disagree and express themselves.

Not that all schools/teachers are great, i had the misfortune of having some of the worst teachers imaginable for example... there is also more to gain than the learning with getting involved in the school and the social aspects which in fairness doesn't always work for each student where some might be excluded but i see it as the preferable path to homeschooling if there's a choice.

From what i understand her daughter is 3? I'm not sure if she meant she was teaching her at an early age but then was going to have her daughter go to school later, or if she meant that it was going to be an ongoing thing.

I think the child in question is three and below school age. She is having difficulty finding (or affording) a nursery. I don't really consider helping your pre school child with some early learning, home schooling. Wrong terminology IMO.
  • OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I do believe alicia meant she couldn't afford nursery, so she was teaching her at home until she was school age (at least I hope that's what she meant).
    If that is the case, then I say good on her. At least she is trying, and she's learning too! Win/win.

Regardless of whether Alicia is dyslexic, or just 'thick', it's not fair to belittle someone based on their intelligence, or lack of. She could be as daft as a brush but her opinions still matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    Yeah I do believe alicia meant she couldn't afford nursery, so she was teaching her at home until she was school age (at least I hope that's what she meant).
    If that is the case, then I say good on her. At least she is trying, and she's learning too! Win/win.

Regardless of whether Alicia is dyslexic, or just 'thick', it's not fair to belittle someone based on their intelligence, or lack of. She could be as daft as a brush but her opinions still matter.
    THIS 5 STARS!
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And she's better then the parents who haven't a clue what their children do at school or don't care, as long as they're out of their sight for a few hours .
  • onfencewithrachonfencewithrach Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member
    I think the child in question is three and below school age. She is having difficulty finding (or affording) a nursery. I don't really consider helping your pre school child with some early learning, home schooling. Wrong terminology IMO.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking... a slight mix up of terminology there.

Sad she's having financial troubles, hopefully she can find something to help her out in that regard after this experience.
  • Vicky8675309Vicky8675309 Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it bad of Katie….not necessarily "bad" but a sign that she is not good at debating and/or thinking fast on her feet. Rather than have a relevant counterpoint, she instead deflected away from her ignorance by using an insult to attempt to make the other person feel stupid (and to hide her own inability to formulate a rapid witty response). Alicia got the better of her in this conversation imo.
    fair point!

As someone who likes KH it was pretty embarrassing to watch :blush:

Although to be fair while i think Katie P will admit she's dumb i think Alicia actually thinks she has some level of intelligence. It would help if she wasn't as sensitive to it all as well. I think Katie H just wants something back from her in terms of banter but it just ends up being very sad and defensive :(

I do agree with others as well, times tables and the alphabet are different levels, the former is at least assigned it's own subject when taught.

What? times tables is a separate subject? LOL
    The subject is mathematics and multiplication is just one tiny part of mathematics. "Alphabet" is a tiny part of the subject of literature (in grade school it was likely the subject of "grammar" or what we call in the USA "english" or "reading").
    Stan_B wrote: »
    Did you notice what caused Hopkins to do this....criticism. She simply can't take any form of criticism and her true colours came out. When they were talking about thermal leggings and Hopkins said they would give her a sweaty crotch Alicia said don't knock it til' you've tried it. Try them and then have an opinion. Alicia then said Hopkins was speaking from a point of ignorance.

You can always trust Hopkins to use below the belt tactics.

Alicia often holds her own with Katie H and can come out on top-)

Thank you! So many posts about how horrible it is of her to homeschool her child. They neglect to say the child is 3 years old. I didn't start kindergarten until 4 years old. Alicia is doing more than many parents and is attempting to help her kid start out ahead of the others.

When Alicia made the comment about shapes and the alphabet, I interpreted it to mean that she didn't know the order of the alphabet and NOT that she couldn't read or write. However many kids graduate school illiterate. There are multiple variables that factor into why this occurs. It is not one simple issue like the kids are "thick". Also, by learning shapes, she said octagons and pentagons. I don't think she meant circles, triangles, squares, etc. Regardless of what she meant, she is intelligent enough to realize the gaps in her knowledge and has the intelligence and self-motivation to actually work on improving her fund of knowledge. She demonstrates that she has the intelligence to use reason and logic to get the best of Katie H in the thermal leggings topic (very simplified scientific method: formulate a hypothesis and test it). Katie says she doesn't like them because they cause sweaty crotch but she really doesn't know since she hasn't tried them. Without even trying, Alicia came across as very logical and called out Katie on her unintelligent response.

I don't think Alicia is a genius based on what I have seen on the show, however Katie H has given the impression that she thinks that she (Katie H) is of above average intelligence. She gave me high expectations and hasn't lived up to them (she proved them inaccurate) whereas I had low expectations with Alicia and have been pleasantly surprised some of the time (but I wasn't a fan of her comment about wanting to die if she didn't have breasts).

You all should check out the show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader"….it will make you realize how much you have forgotten….well, if you are middle aged or older-)
  • Vicky8675309Vicky8675309 Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a clip where Katie basically says it was something private but later she brought in up when she didn't have a come back for Alicia (Alicia out reasoned her so Katie H hit back below the belt). Also in the clip you hear that Callum was embarrassed to be seen with Alicia and Michelle saying she has no time for airheads like Alicia (I'm paraphrasing). I wish this was shown on the highlights show.

Sorry, I don't know how to insert it as a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8D72GhQmLw
  • JVB69JVB69 Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Working in education, my pet hate is people who sneer at people for not knowing or understanding something. Alicia told her that in a private conversation, so it was plain nasty to use it to put her down in front of the other HMs. Katie Hopkins, pitches herself as Ms Intelligent, but doesn't know what 7X8 is.

But haven't you just publically sneered at Katie over 7x8 = 56 .....just as Alicia did back to Katie?
  • Panda EyesPanda Eyes Posts: 4,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup, it's nice that she's actually interacting with her kid and getting some (probably) fun learning done at the same time. If any of them in the house that have been having a great big laugh at how dumb Alicia is had had thought this through then this would have been a good time to actually give some credit to her where credit is due.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to really know my thoughts , the reason I'd never enter BB is people are not just happy judging on the actions within the house. They have to dig around and find history to suite there own agenda whilst maintaining there own glass tower. "Look! Look at this!! This is why she's/he's vile!!! Look!!" Like we are are all infallible? Come off it. The shows about what they do in there. You want to understand why they are as they are fine, go look. Just don't act like judge jury and executioner because of some article. We may not agree with what's been done, but we only know what the media has told us. I hate KH...yet at times I've seen a funny side or softer side to her. Something I'd never seen if it were not for BB. Would I vote to save her? No. She's also acted like a **** in there. Do I think I need to defend Alicia after that article? No. It's got nothing to do with any of us...do I feel I need to defend her treatment in the house? Yes.

To be fair, I disliked both Katie's in the press - I like them both in the house.

Can't stand Alicia in the house. All that article does is reinstate my view that being that stupid is NOT funny/endearing; it's actually hurtful to her children. She had her kid fail her A-Levels so she could go and get plastic surgery, because she "didn't know how important they were". Criminally dumb.