Mature Student/Changing Career (to Vet) Advice

clairescavysclairescavys Posts: 239
Forum Member
Hi everyone

I'll try to explain this as best as I can - hopefully I'll make sense (very unusual for me)! :)

I've come here for advice as I've researched the internet on the following and there is a lot of conflicting advice out there which has been really confusing. So someone on DS may have been in this situation and are able to offer there advice/experiences.

My situation is that I'm 31 years old and left school at age 16 with only GCSE grades (5 grade C’s and 3 grade D’s) and no idea of what I wanted to do at that point (unfortunately back then I didn't bother studying so I may have gained better GCSE grades if I had studied).

My attitude has changed a lot since then and I've worked my way up within full time administration roles since then (including doing 2 NVQ’s in Business Administration).

However for some time now (at least the past 7 years) I have come to realise this is not what I want to do and that I would love to actually work as a Vet.

Back in early 2012 I was made redundant from my admin job and afterwards have been working in another admin role – however this is maternity cover and my contract will end 31/03/2013. Once my contract ends, I will be back to looking for another job and claiming Job Seekers Allowance.

I've been considering taking this period to start studying to be a vet (starting off with a local college full time course (BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care) for 1 year starting in September 2013. This is the only course at that college that doesn't require an entry level of grade C or above Science GCSE (I've got grade D) - it doesn't allow results from GCSE re-sits either. Anyway the full time course has been my preference anyway regardless of the entry level as it appears to give more out of the course with regards to subject learning and further progression in training and employment.

If I apply and am successful in getting into the full time course (BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care), may I ask the following and if anyone has any experiences on what I may expect (it's been some years since I've been in education)! :D

* As a person receiving Job Seekers Allowance, would I receive any help towards the cost of the course?

* I live with my husband who is in full time work. We have a mortgage and other bills to pay (like most people). Would we receive any financial help towards this? I understand if not, but would like all information before I make an informed decision. Living solely on my husbands wage would be possible but would make things very tight. Is there any other financial aid I/we would be eligible for? Unfortunately we do not having savings (it wasn't possible to save much on what we were earning).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Information I have found online generally has been conflicting and therefore confusing.

Thanks very much for your time and for reading my post. I'll revisit this thread as and when possible - please don't think I'm ignoring any replies, it may be that I may not be able to access my thread to reply at that point (on my last thread I got told off for not being able to reply to someone within 15 minutes and I am grateful for any advice - I don't want people thinking otherwise).

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    The only thing I know about it is that it's VERY difficult to get on a course to become a Vet, you need good A-level results (probably all A's?) in suitable courses (such as Maths, Chemistry, Biology?). I know a number of people who wanted to be vet's, and none managed to qualify to even apply for a course.

It's a very sort after course, and in many ways very similar to training to be a doctor.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally can't help you with your query on financial help etc. But if your ultimate goal is to study Veterinary Science at university, you are quite frankly wasting your time doing a course in Animal Care.

From reading your post it sounds like you don't have any A Levels. You just wouldn't even be considered for Veterinary Science unless you have A Levels in three science subjects. And they need to be good ones - A or A*. The websites of universities which offer the course will tell you exactly what grades/subjects you need.

While these courses on Animal Care may look good on your application, they won't be accepted instead of A Levels I'm afraid.

You need to get back to college and get the A Levels. And be realistic about what grades you think you could manage. If getting A's or A*'s are a pipe dream for you, you may have to give up on your dream of being a vet.

Lastly, the thing that universities always look for with candidates for VS is a shed load of work experience. You need to get lots or experience in a variety of places. Yes, veterinary practices themselves, but also farms, kennels, catteries, stables etc etc. I even knew one person who worked in a slaughterhouse as part of their work experience to become a vet!

I don't want to put you off or sound harsh, but you've got to know what you're taking on and be realistic about whether you can achieve it. Good luck!:)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very difficult to get into Vet School. Harder than to be a human doc.
    Have you considered Veterinary Nursing? That might be a more achievable goal.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I know about it is that it's VERY difficult to get on a course to become a Vet, you need good A-level results (probably all A's?) in suitable courses (such as Maths, Chemistry, Biology?). I know a number of people who wanted to be vet's, and none managed to qualify to even apply for a course.

It's a very sort after course, and in many ways very similar to training to be a doctor.

This. It is THEE most competitive course as far as I'm aware (to be compared only to medicine) and it's absolutely impossible to get into with your grades I'm afraid. Sorry to be negative, but I think you should find other opportunities to work with animals.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to sound like a wet blanket too...you do know there are only seven places where you can qualify as a vet in the UK? And one of them is Cambridge?

You'll need at least AAB at A level or equivalent (including chemistry and/or biology/maths.

Vet courses are the most oversubscribed of any uni course...it's harder to get in than to be a doctor.

Many of them also expect previous work experience...including on large animals/farms.

I have a neighbour who has a daughter at vet school...she had 12 GSCE's at A grade...got four A levels (at AAA/B) (Chemistry/Biology/Maths/Physics) and thanks to his contacts had done 3/4 years of volunteer/work experience at local vet/a livery stable/an animal shelter and spent time at a local dairy farm.

I wish you luck but I think you need to get a handle on the likely academic requirements to get in before you start worrying about funding it...never mind the practical implications of having to live/move somewhere like Glasgow to complete a six year course given you are married etc
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a mature student and applied for a loan to cover my course fees and also a loan and grant to cover my living costs. Because your partner is working you may not be eligible for a grant so the best advice I can give is to contact student finance to see if your course qualifies for a loan to cover fees/living expenses. If it doesnt you will need to factor course fees into your plan.

As I understand it you can only obtain loans for fees if the course is higher than you already have and you mention having NVQ's in administration so unless the BTEC is at a higher level even if the course was eligible, you would not be if the course is equivalent to what you already have.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - Three good A Levels in science subjects. You might get some help with the course costs, but more likely you will have to pay. Not sure how much it is to do an A level course these days - about £400? So that's around £1200 to start.

If you do get into Uni, you then have the uni fees to pay - again not sure but is it £9,000 per year they can charge now? So 6 x what ever the max fee chargeable for a uni course is. (£54,000 ?)

You may qualify for a student loan for the fees though.

Unless you are able to commute or your husband change jobs to be local to where you'd study, you'll need accommodation costs too.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Animal Care courses are not veterinary training, they are the training for the role of animal care worker, which is for working in places like kennels rather than vets.

Clear guidelines for training, qualifications etc for vet, veterinary nurse and animal care worker (and many other jobs for that matter) are obtainable by using the search box at

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think about being veterinary nurse. you can qualify relatively easily and it wont put such a financial strain on you

even if you manage to get 3 As for a-levels you will be competing against others who have 3 As thats where your GCSEs could go against you.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're serious about this call your local college or your local university and see if you can arrange to go and visit and speak with someone who can advise you on entry requirements and what financial aid is out there. You may have to wait for a university open day to tick that particular box but they're every so often.. usually early Summer. These can be very informative. Or even just obtain an email address of someone you can fire your questions at. If you don't ask you don't get. Don't be shy. Just ring up.

I would not rely 100% on advice from here because people are already trying to put you off. They're within their rights to do that of course. But it would be a shame if you gave up on a dream without getting the facts from the horses mouth.. excuse the pun.. and saw posts on here and thought "See I knew it, oh well" and didn't speak with people. At least then if you come up against a brick wall you'll be happy you've tried all options and spoken with the right people.

Good luck. Life is too short to do something you don't enjoy and regret not trying something new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're serious about this call your local college or your local university and see if you can arrange to go and visit and speak with someone who can advise you on entry requirements and what financial aid is out there. You may have to wait for a university open day to tick that particular box but they're every so often.. usually early Summer. These can be very informative. Or even just obtain an email address of someone you can fire your questions at. If you don't ask you don't get. Don't be shy. Just ring up.

I would not rely 100% on advice from here because people are already trying to put you off. They're within their rights to do that of course. But it would be a shame if you gave up on a dream without getting the facts from the horses mouth.. excuse the pun.. and saw posts on here and thought "See I knew it, oh well" and didn't speak with people. At least then if you come up against a brick wall you'll be happy you've tried all options and spoken with the right people.

Good luck. Life is too short to do something you don't enjoy and regret not trying something new.

I don't think anyone here is trying to put her off - why on earth would we? We're just trying to be realistic.

She is going to need A levels. It is very competitive. She will need experience working with animals. It will be expensive but she might be able to get grants/loans for the A levels and loans for the University course. She may need to move away from home or relocate if not already near the Uni she choses/gets into.

Surely you don't want us all to lie and just say 'go for it' and set her up for a fall?
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the NDAM and we were told from the start it was irrelevant if you wanted to become a vet.

Ok for vet nurse though they prefer you do the HND too.
    Some vet practices offer training 'on the job', you'll start as a kennel maid and work/study your way up - these placements are like gold dust!

Nobody is trying to put you off, if you want to try, good on you but you will need top grade A-levels and lots of work experience.

On the JSA front, when I went to college to study,I did get discounted fees but my JSA was stopped as I was deemed 'unavailable for work' but that was full time college not a correspondence course.

Good luck whatever you decide, you may find your studies lead you in a totally different direction :)
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to have A Levels, you can do an access course or a BTEC Level 3 but not in animal care. You would need probably all distinctions for these courses. You might need to re-take your science GCSE's as well. On the academic front, you're better off looking into universities and talking to their admissions department about what qualifications they want rather than asking on here.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you will find it very difficult to get into uni to study to become a vet by going down the access or Btec course.although some may consider those quals unless you have some other qualities that outshine others with higher and more appropriate quals you are really going to struggle.

My advice would be to make an effort to attend one of the universities that offer Vet quals and speak to the tutors.

I know this is harsh but the OP needs a reality check, there is no point of starting a qualification, which you think will get you to a certain place without doing your homework first to ensure your planned route will get you where you expect it too.

As others have said getting a place to study to be a vet is very difficult and competitive, without top class grades and a very very strong personal statement,a place is probably out of grasp.

the other things I would suggest is to volunteer with a Vet practice, PDSA or RSPCA to see if the job is really something you could cope with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Whilst correct. I think that you've a,, shot the op down too quick. As a mature student who had 12 gcses at c or above, and no a levels, I was told I'd struggle on a degree, yet here I am looking at masters and PhDs, and heading the class marks wise. But op - you will never get onto a vet course without a levels, you need to do them, and get top marks. Those on my course struggle with the science, as they don't have the basics from gcse and a level, and we are animal sciences, not even vet courses. There's no reason you can't do it, by all means go for it, but an animal care or related qualification will do little to help, and will cost you money and time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »

the other things I would suggest is to volunteer with a Vet practice, PDSA or RSPCA to see if the job is really something you could cope with.

Vet was one of the things I wanted to be when at school but a chat with a vet did put me off - the PTSs even when best for the animal, animals dying even when you've tried everything, upset owners, long hours. TBH, I think he was trying to put me off:D but he was right - it wasn't really for me. Might have been able academically but I didn't have the temperament for it.

So that is a good suggestion and probably why Unis want a lot of experience to make sure people are committed.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a vet but I know and work with a lot of them, and have had at least two clients who have had daughters who have gone on to become vets.

You need three straight A's, nothing less. The people who have told you how difficult it is to get in are being nothing short of realistic. Its very tough to get in. A lot of people get discouraged half way through. Its not just the course, also its very difficult to find a place, these days once qualified you are competing with vets coming in from across the world for places.

In all reality, to give yourself a chance, if I were in your position I would consider going to Australia, New Zealand or South Africa to qualify. The conditions are less rigorous, the courses are likely going to be financially more affordable but you are likely to have to up your own entry qualifications of take an international baccalaureate first, before you can begin.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    You don't have to have A Levels, you can do an access course or a BTEC Level 3 but not in animal care. You would need probably all distinctions for these courses. You might need to re-take your science GCSE's as well. On the academic front, you're better off looking into universities and talking to their admissions department about what qualifications they want rather than asking on here.

Anyone would find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get on a Vet degree course via an access course or BTEC. The demand from A level students with 4 science A levels at A* plus experience of working with animals is just too high, given the very limited number of places.

The vet nurse route is far more doable for the OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You asked the very same question on here 2 1/2 years ago. :confused:
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently about 5% of people applying for medicine get offered a place. I would imagine it's the same for a vet, but if you can find a way go for it.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    You asked the very same question on here 2 1/2 years ago. :confused:

Yes, I didn't mean to bump it up, got a bit muddled. :o But she got good advice before so I was wondering why she's asking again. From that last thread she must have known you needed top grade A levels.

There's also another thread created in 2007 asking the same thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I didn't mean to bump it up, got a bit muddled. :o But she got good advice before so I was wondering why she's asking again. From that last thread she must have known you needed top grade A levels.

There's also another thread created in 2007 asking the same thing.

How strange. Perhaps the OP will be back and will explain why she keeps asking the same question every few years! :D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah this is the third thread on the subject.

OP out of interest why have you not done anything about it? You initially posted 6 years ago and then again 3 years ago, you could have been well on your way now :confused:

As everyone has said, becoming a vet is ridiculously competitive. People do, however, succeed at it as mature students however I would say they probably are extraordinarily motivated to do so. This appears to be lacking if these threads are anything to go by...
This discussion has been closed.