Spiderman Back To Marvel

ultron29ultron29 Posts: 2,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any truth in these rumours?

Feel gutted for Andrew Garfield personally.

http://screenrant.com/sony-spider-man-andrew-garfield-fired/

Comments

• smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a lot of places reporting this, although I really hope it's not true! I know the new films haven't gone down that well, but personally I've loved them both. What I can't understand though is why they would want Andrew out, when he seems to be the only thing about the previous two films that hasn't been slated, I've seen nothing but praise for him, so it all seems very strange!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smile371 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of places reporting this, although I really hope it's not true! I know the new films haven't gone down that well, but personally I've loved them both. What I can't understand though is why they would want Andrew out, when he seems to be the only thing about the previous two films that hasn't been slated, I've seen nothing but praise for him, so it all seems very strange!

Strictly speaking you could argue that Garfield is too old and good looking to play Peter Parker but they would never cast a teenage nerd anyway. If anyone's at fault it's Sony for messing up Spiderman 3 causing Sam Raimi and Toby Maguire to quit and requiring a premature reboot to stop the rights reverting to Marvel.

Could there perhaps be two Spidermen with Garfield continuing for Sony and a different actor for the MCU?
  • ultron29ultron29 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Could there perhaps be two Spidermen with Garfield continuing for Sony and a different actor for the MCU?

Potentially!

Marvel want Spiderman in Civil War and they want a young actor to play that role.

I guess they could have two, but then if Marvel/Sony agree to share the rights of Spiderman, it could get confusing having two actors.

Either way, I hope Andrew Garfield stays!
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I think it's crazy to replace Andrew who has been fantastic in his two movies. As someone said above, he has been well received in the role so why they would want him gone is beyond me. I hope he gets to complete his trilogy.

Another rumour I've read is that Emma Stone is going to return alongside Tobey Maguire which I really hope doesn't happen. I think Andrew's portrayal has been much better.
  • ultron29ultron29 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's crazy to replace Andrew who has been fantastic in his two movies. As someone said above, he has been well received in the role so why they would want him gone is beyond me. I hope he gets to complete his trilogy.

Another rumour I've read is that Emma Stone is going to return alongside Tobey Maguire which I really hope doesn't happen. I think Andrew's portrayal has been much better.

Tobey and Emma! No way!

I guess they could technically do that by going back in time, but it'd be crazy!

Andrew is fantastic in the role and has been really well received.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

There were a lot of things wrong with AM2, but Garfield wasn't one of them. Having
    said that, if the rumours about Sony/Disney agreeing to share the rights to the
    character turn out to be true, I suspect we'll see a new actor playing the
    character.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't Bryce Dallas Howard play Gwen in Spiderman 3? Presumably she would have had a bigger role in the following film had it been made.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    There were a lot of things wrong with AM2, but Garfield wasn't one of them. Having
    said that, if the rumours about Sony/Disney agreeing to share the rights to the
    character turn out to be true, I suspect we'll see a new actor playing the
    character.

It seems likely as I've seen it reported for a few months now in a few places I just think it's a really dumb move to replace one of the few things in a franchise that actually gets praised amongst bad reviews.

Id happily watch another Spiderman with Andrew in the role. As you say, for all of the wrong in AM2, Garfield isn't one of those. (I say that but I have enjoyed both films much more than I did Tobey's)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ultron29 wrote: »
    Potentially!

Marvel want Spiderman in Civil War and they want a young actor to play that role.

I guess they could have two, but then if Marvel/Sony agree to share the rights of Spiderman, it could get confusing having two actors.

Either way, I hope Andrew Garfield stays!
    To be fair, that's already happening with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers: Age of Ultron who can't be reconciled with the 1970s kids we saw in X-Men: Days of Future Past.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be very pleased for this come to pass.

I've yet to see Spiderman (more so Peter Parker) done justice. I want a film to get both parts correct (Peter Parker & Spiderman) and marry them in the one film. Therefore, maybe moving in the direction (which apparently is an option) of making him an adult, is the best way to achieve that.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy if this were true. I thought Garfield played Spiderman really well (got the sarcastic humour of the character down perfectly), but I was never keen on his Peter Parker. I found him a bit creepy, rather than nerdy. In fact, I really didn't feel the "genius" element of the character, even though he actually gets to build his own web-shooters in his films. Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen, though.

However I'm not happy about this idea because it would mean Garfield was out. I don't hate his performance and I do think he's a good actor. Its more that I really like the idea of Spiderman going back to Marvel. I want to see him in the MCU, where he can team up with the Avengers. I also have more faith in Marvel actually doing the character justice.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Garfield is a great actor and there is nothing wrong with his portrayal of Spider-Man. If the Sony bosses stopped interfering and trusted the filmmakers enough to get on with their jobs they would have a far more lucrative series. Studio interference ruined Spider-Man 3 and the same goes for the most recent version. No amount of rebooting and changing cast members is going to sort out the mess Sony created for themselves. I would rather Marvel got the Spider-Man rights back and let them have a chance at doing something half decent with it, but Sony are in a mess right now and need all the money they can get so I can't see them giving up the rights any time soon.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Spiderman but I think he should be rested now. With Sony messing things up so much and not delivering quality rather chasing cash they have lost peoples interest in the franchise imo when compared to the competition and the fact that takings are down on the films. With Batman there's been three films but there's still a hunger for more because they were for the most part well done and concentrated on making the best film they could with a director and writers who were allowed to do his their vision of the character. With Spiderman the producers hands and what they want are all over it and it muddles the whole thing.

Let the Avengers/Marvel x-men and DC play out for the rest of the decade and then revive him some time early next decade (Like how Batman was given a rest when that franchise got muddled) when time away from Spiderman films would generate interest in a new fresh one.

The sad thing is if Sony had let Spiderman go after they had done their trilogy and Marvel had introduced him around now ish then there probably would of been great interest and excitement for a new take on Spiderman, especially as it would be Marvel doing it and would of course feed into their universe. But as Sony rebooted to soon and then messed it up, having another take on the character again feels wrong and more Sony Spiderman's are nothing to get excited about, it just all soured to the point of no wanting anymore for the time being.

Sony are bad for Spiderman plain and simple, they should let him go to Marvel and they should keep him for their future and concentrate on the plans they have.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was writing that on the fly, probably doesn't make any sense
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobey Maguire didn't want to do spider-man 4 because they were going to take him back to high school as they did in the amazing spider-man and he felt he was too old to be playing a teenager The reason Sam Raimi pulled out was to do with money apparently the studio kept cutting the budget.
    I liked the first one even though I didn't like the costume and I was hyped to see the second one enough to pay a extra quid to rent it in HD
    the second one I think suffers the same problem as the third tobey maguire film that it has too many villains and not enough time to see the development of their characters even though the third one is only introduced in the last five minutes of the film.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Spiderman but I think he should be rested now. With Sony messing things up so much and not delivering quality rather chasing cash they have lost peoples interest in the franchise imo when compared to the competition and the fact that takings are down on the films. With Batman there's been three films but there's still a hunger for more because they were for the most part well done and concentrated on making the best film they could with a director and writers who were allowed to do his their vision of the character. With Spiderman the producers hands and what they want are all over it and it muddles the whole thing.

Let the Avengers/Marvel x-men and DC play out for the rest of the decade and then revive him some time early next decade (Like how Batman was given a rest when that franchise got muddled) when time away from Spiderman films would generate interest in a new fresh one.

The sad thing is if Sony had let Spiderman go after they had done their trilogy and Marvel had introduced him around now ish then there probably would of been great interest and excitement for a new take on Spiderman, especially as it would be Marvel doing it and would of course feed into their universe. But as Sony rebooted to soon and then messed it up, having another take on the character again feels wrong and more Sony Spiderman's are nothing to get excited about, it just all soured to the point of no wanting anymore for the time being.

Sony are bad for Spiderman plain and simple, they should let him go to Marvel and they should keep him for their future and concentrate on the plans they have.
    Well, Sony is not a charity. They will only let the rights go to Marvel if they're offered more money than they could expect to make from further sequels and reboots.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was kid reading the comics Spiderman always sounded way cooler in my head than he does in the movies. On screen the high pitched whinny voice is just irritating. Maguire's Parker was immediately punchable and Garfield's Parker is a bit of a dick.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, that's already happening with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers: Age of Ultron who can't be reconciled with the 1970s kids we saw in X-Men: Days of Future Past.

I believe that Marvel are not allowed to refer to them both as Mutants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Garfield is a great actor and there is nothing wrong with his portrayal of Spider-Man. If the Sony bosses stopped interfering and trusted the filmmakers enough to get on with their jobs they would have a far more lucrative series. Studio interference ruined Spider-Man 3 and the same goes for the most recent version. No amount of rebooting and changing cast members is going to sort out the mess Sony created for themselves. I would rather Marvel got the Spider-Man rights back and let them have a chance at doing something half decent with it, but Sony are in a mess right now and need all the money they can get so I can't see them giving up the rights any time soon.

I think you're probably right. The strength of the Marvel franchise is that they have a visionary show runner in Kevin Feige who is clear about what he wants to do, and is pretty much in charge of how the Marvel Universe is to pan out.
    However it remains to be seen if Disney will interfere too much or not in the future.
    I can see how this approach has a significant advantage over the Sony films which appear to be coordinated by a committee. Too many cooks and all that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    When I was kid reading the comics Spiderman always sounded way cooler in my head than he does in the movies. On screen the high pitched whinny voice is just irritating. Maguire's Parker was immediately punchable and Garfield's Parker is a bit of a dick.

When I was a kid reading the Spiderman comics for some reason I read much of Spiderman's dialogue as being internal. As if he was thinking what he was saying rather than actually saying it. Like there was a lot of internal narration going on as he was swinging down the streets. Like Peep Show I suppose. From panel to panel it felt like he was thinking to himself, and the wisecracking only started when he was fighting the villains like it was a front. The way it was written provided a sense of intimacy with the character, which I don't think any of the films have achieved.

I think the Sony films aren't bad, they fulfil the remit of providing blockbuster action films that tick the boxes and probably please most of the mainstream audience. But it's always felt to me like there was something missing. I think the Marvel films are better at getting inside of the character's head than the Sony films which follow a decent enough plot, tick the action set pieces boxes, certainly entertain on the spectacle level, but feel a little generic and lack a bit of soul. Generally speaking of course, because as I say they aren't bad, and do have their moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tobey Maguire didn't want to do spider-man 4 because they were going to take him back to high school as they did in the amazing spider-man and he felt he was too old to be playing a teenager The reason Sam Raimi pulled out was to do with money apparently the studio kept cutting the budget.
    I liked the first one even though I didn't like the costume and I was hyped to see the second one enough to pay a extra quid to rent it in HD
    the second one I think suffers the same problem as the third tobey maguire film that it has too many villains and not enough time to see the development of their characters even though the third one is only introduced in the last five minutes of the film.

Yes I agree. I enjoyed all three Sam Raimi films, but I agree with your points. I think they did a decent enough job with the character of Harry Osbourne/Green Goblin when it focused on his character. Even though I still think the Goblin suit is crap.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the goblin suit in the amazing spider-man 2 or new goblin in spider-man 3?
    I don't think anything they came up with in either could top the goblin costume and mask in the first tobey maguire film. I loved spider-man and the green goblin's costumes in both films then over the next two film they had to change spider-man's costume and make it worse I really liked the black rubber webbing on the suit and they had to change it to make it silver in the third film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the goblin suit in the amazing spider-man 2 or new goblin in spider-man 3?
    I don't think anything they came up with in either could top the goblin costume and mask in the first tobey maguire film. I loved spider-man and the green goblin's costumes in both films then over the next two film they had to change spider-man's costume and make it worse I really liked the black rubber webbing on the suit and they had to change it to make it silver in the third film

Well when I was writing it I was thinking of the first Sam Raimi film. The helmet mask hides too much of the performance.
    Have you seen the original animatronic/makeup tests they did for the Green Goblin?
    Here's a video you might be interested in if you haven't....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see this happen, would be good to see Spiderman in an Avengers movie too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Dunno if there's something wrong with DS's search, but I couldn't find a separate Spidey thread so I'll post here. Saw Amazing Spidey 2 not long ago and the only thing amazing about it was how absolutely dreadful it was. Now, I like Garfield as Parker/Spidey a great deal but this was a real bummer of a movie. Not surprised it tanked at all, and they said Raimi's Spidey 3 was bad. Well, it was way better than this (it wasn't bad at all imho). Probably the worst superhero film I've seen in quite some time.

Cos' I'm not up on the story, what were the real causes of the problems here then? You got a feeling watching it that too many fingers were spoiling the pie, as if too many different people wanted it to be too many different things. Studio interference?