BBC local radio on SKY box?

oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it possible to listen to local radio stations through a SKY box? I want to listen to bbc Leeds but I can't do it online for some reason.So is it possible and if so how can I add the channel?

Comments

• GlobalRadioGlobalRadio Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible to listen to local radio stations through a SKY box? I want to listen to bbc Leeds but I can't do it online for some reason.So is it possible and if so how can I add the channel?

BBC Leeds does not broadcast by satellite, so therefore not possible.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, oh well thanks anyway.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    The simple answer is "no". BBC Local Radio does not have a platform on Sky; the exception being BBC London.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the reason you can't get it online at the moment is most likely rights issues as they can only broadcast local football to the Leeds area, they'd need national rights to broadcast online.
    Forum Member
    And the reason you can't get it online at the moment is most likely rights issues as they can only broadcast local football to the Leeds area, they'd need national rights to broadcast online.

It's less to do with rights than te sheer costs of buying space for 40 different channels on the Sky platform. Remeber, Sky doesn't work by region.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's less to do with rights than te sheer costs of buying space for 40 different channels on the Sky platform. Remeber, Sky doesn't work by region.
    You must have mis-read my post. And even if they were on satelite, he wouldn't get his football commentary.
    Forum Member
    Ahh right - apologies - I thought you were referring to the Sky stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worries.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple answer is "no". BBC Local Radio does not have a platform on Sky; the exception being BBC London.

I thought you could do it with BBC London, which is why I thought it may be possible with the other stations too. I have managed to find the commentary on BBC London anyway.
    But thanks for all your replies anyway, I have learned something new!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky does work by region - hence your local default TV stations on 101 and 103 and the rest all hidden in the high 900's....BBC London is only available on a normal epg in London. I have it on an extra channel but i had to find out the frequency etc. and tune it in and can't just access it like a normal radio station on the 0101 series.
    Also you are not allowed to get RTE tv inside England, Scotland or Wales.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40 channels sounds a lot, but is it really that much? How many TV channels is it equal to, bandwidth wise?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike blair wrote: »
    Sky does work by region - hence your local default TV stations on 101 and 103 and the rest all hidden in the high 900's....BBC London is only available on a normal epg in London. I have it on an extra channel but i had to find out the frequency etc. and tune it in and can't just access it like a normal radio station on the 0101 series.
    Also you are not allowed to get RTE tv inside England, Scotland or Wales.

London is easy to fit in by region seeing as the whole of BBC London's TSA matches the tv region. (I know there are other home counties BBC Local's in it, but are managed by other regions and better served by FM/AM)

It's a bit harder for other BBC tv regions where you'd have to have at least 3 BBC local's added to the EPG. For example, BBC Yorkshire's Sky/Freesat tv region would have Sheffield, Leeds and York.
  • trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London is easy to fit in by region seeing as the whole of BBC London's TSA matches the tv region. (I know there are other home counties BBC Local's in it, but are managed by other regions and better served by FM/AM)

It's a bit harder for other BBC tv regions where you'd have to have at least 3 BBC local's added to the EPG. For example, BBC Yorkshire's Sky/Freesat tv region would have Sheffield, Leeds and York.
    Probably not FM covers a far larger area than its primary coverage area, I would expect BBC Radio Leeds to be receivable in both Sheffield and York on FM.

I occasionally get traffic from BBC Shropshire here in Leicestershire.

When BBC local radio was on AM, I remember listening to Radio Leicester whilst sitting in the Asda car park on Dowlais top near Merthyr Tydfil.

These restrictions do need to be fixed, the numbers who will listen to a football match outside its primary area is probably quite small, mostly a few fans who have been forced to move to get a job. I suspect the rates demanded are out of all proportion.
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    40 channels sounds a lot, but is it really that much? How many TV channels is it equal to, bandwidth wise?

I don't know the answer to the bandwidth question but my point was the cost of allocating 40 new BBC channels to the Sky platform. I'd imagine it'd be prohibitively expensive.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know the answer to the bandwidth question but my point was the cost of allocating 40 new BBC channels to the Sky platform. I'd imagine it'd be prohibitively expensive.

Sky's EPG costs would be one of the main factors. Not to mention the complications of uplinking the stations to Sky. It was a grand effort just to get them online using a ropey 48k WMA stream.