Options

DLA (disabled living allowance)

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Oh and you're going to nip round and check that he's not a thief, ok. Let us know what your medical diagnosis is.

Your health good is it?
    Absolutely not!!!
    Its none my (or your) business what his medical condition is. It is between him and the DWP. Your role stops when reporting. It does not include harassing the poor man
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because his relative can't get it, so if she can't get it - then his neighbour who can walk shouldn't get it either...

Maybe you would feel better psychologically knowing that the neighbour can't get it either...

I think it would make a few people happier knowing they've plunged someone into possible financial despair. Innocent until proved guilty seems to whoosh over some heads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Absolutely not!!!
    Its none my (or your) business what his medical condition is. It is between him and the DWP. Your role stops when reporting. It does not include harassing the poor man

EXACTLY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well when I get to the age where I may need them I'll contact you to see if I'm eligible.

In many parts of the UK, age isn't a criteria, but your level of need is,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In many parts of the UK, age isn't a criteria, but your level of need is,

Whatever you say, personally I think I'll check the Govt site for details rather than depend on people who haven't a clue what they are talking about. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EXACTLY.

We agree. If you see someone you suspect may not satisfy the criteria for DLA, but you know or suspect he is receiving the benefit, then contact the fraud line and let them investigate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We agree. If you see someone you suspect may not satisfy the criteria for DLA, but you know or suspect he is receiving the benefit, then contact the fraud line and let them investigate.

You haven't got a clue what my posts have been about have you, bless. I'll leave you to carry on doing what you're doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever you say, personally I think I'll check the Govt site for details rather than depend on people who haven't a clue what they are talking about. :)
    Its always best to contact the relevant authorities and groups first. And be prepared to ask them to put things in writing!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't got a clue what my posts have been about have you, bless. I'll leave you to carry on doing what you're doing.

That's very true, However they got better towards the end,
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would make a few people happier knowing they've plunged someone into possible financial despair. Innocent until proved guilty seems to whoosh over some heads.

Other things you could do would be - getting a better paid job so that you can give your relative £1000s every week and she would not need DLA, or start a campaign to change things, lobby your MP etc.

Organise marches, protests etc.

But reporting your neighbour is easier and would make you feel better. Revenge is sweet, even if the revenge is directed at the wrong people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other things you could do would be - getting a better paid job so that you can give your relative £1000s every week and she would not need DLA, or start a campaign to change things, lobby your MP etc.

But reporting your neighbour is easier and would make you feel better. Revenge is sweet, even if the revenge is directed at the wrong people.

Why let that stop some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think the OP wanted to report their neighbour but was expressing his puzzlelement as to why the level of mobility needs does not determine entitlement. We told him it was because (in the case he outlined) it was an age requirement.

I told him to inform the fraud line, but not out of revenge, but simply because a crime may be being committed.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the OP wanted to report their neighbour but was expressing his puzzlelement as to why the level of mobility needs does not determine entitlement. We told him it was because (in the case he outlined) it was an age requirement.

I told him to inform the fraud line, but not out of revenge, but simply because a crime may be being committed.

Due to personal experience i don't agree with unqualified people making assumptions about what their neighbours should or shouldn't be entitled to. A neighbour of mine spends most of the day in bed and constanly complains about reasonable noises around his house. I was very annoyed with him because it seemed everyone else was treading on egg shells while he stayed in bed all day. When i mentioned this to the landlord they asked his consent to tell me what was wrong with him. It turns out he has far more mental issues than i realised and i'm glad i'm not one of those who would have phoned a fraud line at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Dont think its fair the 'free car' scheme isnt for people over 65. Seems bit stupid. So they have to just stay in the house or use public transport/taxis

The car isnt free its paid for with your benefit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After april the majority of people will lose their cars when the benefit is changed to PIP.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Link to PIP myth buster (pdf)
    Motability
    The Motability scheme is going to be scrapped.

No. We want this scheme to continue and are working with Motability, the charity that runs the scheme, to decide the best way to do this under Personal Independence Payment.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is this neighbour everyone is on about? Am I missing something? The OP only asked how do you get on to it. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Due to personal experience i don't agree with unqualified people making assumptions about what their neighbours should or shouldn't be entitled to. A neighbour of mine spends most of the day in bed and constanly complains about reasonable noises around his house. I was very annoyed with him because it seemed everyone else was treading on egg shells while he stayed in bed all day. When i mentioned this to the landlord they asked his consent to tell me what was wrong with him. It turns out he has far more mental issues than i realised and i'm glad i'm not one of those who would have phoned a fraud line at the drop of a hat.

Was there any reasons for you to suspect that he was receiving a benefit he was not entitled to. If so, phone the fraud line and let them make the decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little tip, if you are going to go into long term care, normally your DLA will be taken from you. Move the mobility component over to the motability scheme, and you (or a relative) can keep the car (with DLA going towards the payments),
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any reasons for you to suspect that he was receiving a benefit he was not entitled to. If so, phone the fraud line and let them make the decision.

Everyone can guess based on the hour or so of a day that they may see someone but i am not qualified to be making judgements about people with severe phsychiatric issues. Its none of my business.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Who is this neighbour everyone is on about? Am I missing something? The OP only asked how do you get on to it. :confused:

They were angry that a neighbour had a motability car and their mother didnt. they then deleted it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Everyone can guess based on the hour or so of a day that they may see someone but i am not qualified to be making judgements about people with severe phsychiatric issues. Its none of my business.

Very true, you are not qualified but there are people who are. Let the DWP staff decide.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    BadLadAsh wrote: »

OP has heavily edited his post, he's been proven wrong on quite an embarrassing scale, should stop reading the tabloids.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    They were angry that a neighbour had a motability car and their mother didnt. they then deleted it all.

Bit late in the day as it is quoted in post 9 in all it's glory:D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    magratx wrote: »
    Bit late in the day as it is quoted in post 9 in all it's glory:D

Ah good :D