Would you be ashamed to be seen buying The Sun?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or the Sun on Sunday (rebranded NOTW) ? :blush:

Comments

• tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's not my first choice of paper. But a paper is a paper, it's there to have some entertainment value or other.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i wouldn't. There are certainly elements of the paper i dislike, but a paper is a paper and if i want something to look at if i'm travelling and it was all that was left then i'd certainly have no qualms about buying it.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit to buying the DM but the last time I bought the Sun was about 10 years ago.

Don't understand why the Sun is the nation's top selling title and does that say anything about the general British public?
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not. If I was of the class of intelligence prerequisite to the majority purchasers of The Sun, I would have a very limited if at all existent concept of 'shame'.

Mind you, same goes for The Guardian!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a case of being ashamed, I would just rather buy The Mirror if I wanted something to read and the shop didn't have magazines on my favourite subjects.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'd be ashamed to be seen buying any tabloid, including the Mail and the Express.
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, needs must. Although for a few pennies more you could buy some Andrex and not end up with cheap printing ink all over your bumhole when you wipe.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Of course not. If I was of the class of intelligence prerequisite to those with the most propensity to buy The Sun, I would have a very limited if at all existent concept of 'shame'.

Succinctly put :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I admit to buying the DM but the last time I bought the Sun was about 10 years ago.

Don't understand why the Sun is the nation's top selling title and does that say anything about the general British public?

But feel no shame?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Succinctly put :D:D:D

Fab, I love it :p but unfortunately I've also since edited... :blush:
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!! I never would though. Haven't bought it since 1989 and never will. I don't have a problem with others buying it though.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never bought it, never will. Sorry to sound snobbish, but it's fodder for the lowest common denominator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    Never bought it, never will. Sorry to sound snobbish, but it's fodder for the lowest common denominator.

Eek! That makes The Star fodder for Beneath the Lowest Common Denomintor. Before too long, there'll be an Escape from, then a Battle for, then a Conquest of...
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't apologise. Own your snobbery :)
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But feel no shame?

I do feel embarrassed. I normally also buy The Independent at the same time, to negate the shame so people could see I'm a balanced individual and wouldn't think too badly of me :cool:
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be embarrassed, as I was when I was asked to pick up a copy of the Daily Mail for someone else. The shame!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't apologise. Own your snobbery :)

Well I'm not actually a snob per se, but I suppose when it comes to some things I can be a bit snobby, like most people really. With regards to newspapers I prefer to read well-written, informative and engaging articles, and most of those are to be found in broadsheets, and magazines like the Spectator, the Economist, New Statesman etc.
  • John_Smith86John_Smith86 Posts: 212
    Forum Member

It is 10 x better than the Daily Mail. At least most people see the Sun for what it is (basically a heat magazine for men). The idiots that buy the Mail actually think it is news rather than a hate filled racist rag.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the Sun on Sunday (rebranded NOTW) ? :blush:

No.

I wouldn't buy it, but not because of the opinions of others, which I don't give a flying toss about. I only care about my opinion.
    Forum Member
    I do feel embarrassed. I normally also buy The Independent at the same time, to negate the shame so people could see I'm a balanced individual and wouldn't think too badly of me :cool:

lol :D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is 10 x better than the Daily Mail. At least most people see the Sun for what it is (basically a heat magazine for men). The idiots that buy the Mail actually think it is news rather than a hate filled racist rag.

Buying a given newspaper is not a reliable arbiter of intellectual ability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually the Daily Mail has won Newspaper Of The Year 6 times. The Sun = 0.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;
    The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;
    The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country;
    The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;
    The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;
    The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;
    The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.
    And Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.
    Forum Member
    Actually the Daily Mail has won Newspaper Of The Year 6 times. The Sun = 0.

Yeah, but the Guardian has won the Pulitzer prize which shows the worthless value of these awards.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact that it's appalling rubbish, I would never buy anything that hands even a minuscule amount of money to Murdoch. I'm not sure it's the worst though, as my dad had one of the weekend Mirrors delivered to him by mistake a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how terrible it was. It seemed to be 90% ads and sponsored "editorial". It was quite a thick paper but you could read it in about two minutes, although the word "read" hardly seems appropriate to such shallow content.