Options

Win tickets to Rock of Ages: The Musical

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
Forum Member
Rock of Ages: The Musical, the awesomely kick-ass 80s rock mix-tape show, is rolling into London's Shaftesbury Theatre from the August 31st. Starring Justin Lee Collins and Shayne Ward as well as the cream of the crop in West End theatre stars, Rock of Ages is a 80s power ballad fest! 'Don't Stop Believing', 'Wanted Dead or Alive', 'The Final Countdown' and 'Here I Go Again' are just some of the hit tracks featured in this comedy fuelled love story based in 1980s LA Sunset Strip.

To celebrate the show’s opening we are offering you the chance to win 2 tickets to see the show this September. Winners will be picked at random. To enter, just let us know your favourite 80s power ballad or your worst 80s fashion faux pas!

Winners will be announced on 26th August.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For power Ballads, it has to be Total Eclipse of the heart - how could it be anything else! That back-comb, the extras in the video with the mullets and completely over the top dramatics! Awesome!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    My favourite power ballad of the 80`s was Charlene " Never been to me" ahhh, many a naughty memory to that tune!:o
    As for fashion disasters...has to be the shellsuit tracksuits !!
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Walks In - Van Halen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My favourite has to be "We Built This City" which brings back fond memories of roller discos :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Power Ballad has to be The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush.

How many drunk women have wailed that walking down the streets?

Fashion Faux Pas has to be the Puffball Skirt.

Thank god I'm a guy so didn't have to wear one of those stupid things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite power ballad: Toto .. Africa (does that count?)

Fashion faux pas: pixie boots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Best song and still regularly belted out from stereo despite promising never to play old songs to my kids- 'In The Air Tonight'.

Worst fashion has to be my Boy George look. I'd make my poor mum plait my hair with ribbons and wear huge white t-shirts and a hat.

Still, I thought I looked brilliant! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm so tempted to plait my hair now! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every Rose Has it's Thorn by Poison! Video was fab at time, it encapsulates the era and Bret Michaels was raunchy!! Hey what can I say, I'm only human!! ;0)
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi - Power ballad or not this takes you straight back to the 80's I defy anyone not want to sing their heart out to this one!

Fashion faux pas - where to start, shoulder pads and hair got bigger & bigger and boys & girls around the world had mullet haircuts - thought they looked so cool at the time - tons of hairspray used to hold it in place - I'm only 4ft 10inch tall but my hair alone took me over 5ft in the 80's!!!

Loved Pixie Boots though would wear them in a flash!
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    The Final Countdown: Europe. Joey Tempest and co with big hair, big shoulder pads and LOTS of spandex and it was an accompaniment to me going into the Lower VI. Similarly, Whitesnake. The names says it all.

Wind of Change: Scorpions. A soundtrack which will always be a reference point for the changes going on in Eastern Europe and the rusting of the Iron Curtain in the summer of 1991.

Fashion faux pas: dressing neutrally and, looking back, wishing I had been part of some kind of 'far out' , bad taste 80s/90s fashion code! :D It would be something to look back on at laugh at.

I thought these bands looked ridiculous at the time and had no intention of copying their style. I'd like a chance to dress up and behave as I should have done and sing my heart out to these cheesy tracks of my youth.

Did like the music though! :D
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Platform shoes was my biggest mistake
    Bought pair tried to walk fell flat on my face:o:o:o
    I tried few times pratice but fell ,one of my aunty's said she liked the shoes so she I gave the shoes to her and can you guess what she too fell flat on her face:o:o
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again!
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Collybird wrote: »
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again!
    Whitesnake - Is this Love? The hair, the earnest expressions, the guitar solo, the spandex trousers -power ballads don't get any better than this!

We saw the posters etc for this at the weekend outside the theatre - looks great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Love "i can't fight this feeling anymore" REO Speedwagon reminds me of being young and in love!
    80's hair had a very curly awful perm! (thought it was soooo cool at the time!)
    but still love the 80's ..... growing up through it! ) (age 10 to 20)

aaarrrrrrrr........
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Difficult to pick only one power ballard so I'm listing three of my all time favourites:-

Don't Stop Believing - Journey
    I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
    and finally
    Everything I Do - Bryan Adams

As for fashion faux pas - big hair, those awful nylon baggy trousers called parachute pants and anything neon.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Power of Love the original by Jennifer Rush and omg, I have so many fashion faux pas from the 80s I don't know where to start.

I had leather trousers :eek:

I had a white ruffled shirt that came with a red cotton belt and I used to wear the belt around my head! :o I can't believe I admitted that out loud! :eek::o Duran Duran have a lot to answer for.

My hair was so backcombed and hairsprayed that there could have been birds nesting in it and I wouldn't have noticed and I had to be really careful about going anywhere near an open flame.

I wore legwarmers with high heels, yes, leg warmers and high heels! What was I thinking!

I made my mother spend £85 on a Katherine Hamnett Choose Life t-shirt because Wham had them, but they'd sold out so I had to have a Save the Whales one and I didn't care about the whales and I spent £85! OMG! That was a lot of money then!

I have so many more, when I think about the fashion monstrosities that I wore, I'm so embarassed! :o:D
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, my fave power ballad was ~ Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is.

My worst fashion faux pas was probably a black half leather, half suede jacket, with fringing coming down from the sleeves and padded shoulders.....:o

Oh, the memories LOL :eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh I wonder who won the tickets
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I wondered that too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh still wondering
    Still anyway whom ever won have a fab time
  • Options
    Tom MillerTom Miller Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, sorry for not announcing the winner. 'linnylou' was randomly selected as the winner and hopefully the tickets have arrived!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have a fantastic time linnylou and congratulations in winning