Were Bros overrated?

Comments

• LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Matt Goss.... Mmmmmm yeah! :D

The Goss twins were two of the most gorgeous people of the 1980s.

People always give Bros a hard time but at least they played their own instruments, so were a 'proper' band in that sense. I will always count 'I Owe You Nothing' as a perfect pop song and is in my list of favourite songs.

Yes my thoughts exactly - they were a proper band! Singer, drummer, guitarist, and got together when they were 13 - years before they made it big time. They were not just put together by a management team.

Matt Goss has a lovely voice, and is currently singing in the US. I had a look at some of the reviews, and people were saying what a brilliant expressive singer he is - so it's not just me.

I actually think they were underrated, and not given enough credit!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    Yes my thoughts exactly - they were a proper band! Singer, drummer, guitarist, and got together when they were 13 - years before they made it big time. They were not just put together by a management team.

Matt Goss has a lovely voice, and is currently singing in the US. I had a look at some of the reviews, and people were saying what a brilliant expressive singer he is - so it's not just me.

I actually think they were underrated, and not given enough credit!

i just had a quick look at his you tube channel and i have to admit, i really like this duet of feeling good with nicole scherzinger it put hairs on my arms and he has got a really nice voice.

EDIT: JUST FOUND A BETTER VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYwWDCgd9aw

sorry caps. music is EXCITING.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but Take That was/are overrated.

:o

You take that back >:(
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY! :D

I love them all... Kylie, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Rick Astley, London Boys, Sinitta... Ah happy times! ;-)

I love the fashions of the late 80s too :cool:

Sinitta? She's only 12 so how could she have been around in the '80's? :p
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Some of their music was listenable.

I was into jazz funk and soul in those days (still am) and much of that music has stood the test of time, unlike Bros IMO.

Right now for example you can hear the following in TV adverts.

SNAP! - The Power
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6DO_7px1I

Nu Shooz - I can't wait (Extended) [HQ]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCav916o1Bk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap! (Scroll down to the Music section.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_Shooz

Ah. The Nu Shooz track is for the latest Cuprinol advert and the Snap! track for B&Q.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah. The Nu Shooz track is for the latest Cuprinol advert and the Snap! track for B&Q.

I have always loved that Nu Shooz track! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then Take That, then Boyzone, then Westlife....

Karaoke wanna-bes who should have got no further than a summer season at Butlins.
    Shockingly bad.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Yeah he did. I loved Sweet Little Mystery, I used to watch the video for that over and over again. My uncle and his girlfriend took me to see them in concert in the 80s, I think I was probably about 11 at the time. It was the 2nd concert I'd ever been to, the first being Five Star, where Denise waved at me. :kitty: :D

Five Star we great, but after a string of hits moved to the States.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five Star we great, but after a string of hits moved to the States.

I think they hoped a new location might help them get over their high-profile bankruptcy.

Bros and Five Star seemed to share a love of spending cash they didn't have as much as performing. I remember Five Star buying a fleet of high performance sports cars, when two of them couldn't even drive. Their dad (who managed them) was reported to buy a lot of jewellery as well. I suppose you never think it'll all come to an end one day.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i
    or a one direction song sung in new orleans jazz with a voice full of soul.

edit:

sorry, forgot where i was and thought i was in the hated songs thread. :blush::blush:
    Really loving the jazz here, the piano player is terrific :D Goes to show that, as with any song, it's in the presentation. This woman could probably sing my shopping list well :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't one of Five Star's blokes get caught shagging in public bogs?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Really loving the jazz here, the piano player is terrific :D Goes to show that, as with any song, it's in the presentation. This woman could probably sing my shopping list well :D

i know, postmodern jukebox are an amazingly talented collective and the pianist [scott bradlee] is the pilot.

miche braden [that vocalist] is immense, she sings a song like it`s her story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I think he did. In Southend? His name escaps me but hasn't he had an awful lot of plastic surgery now? :o
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently.......

In October (1990), Stedman Pearson pleaded guilty to a charge of public indecency after being arrested in a public toilet in New Malden in London. Following this, the band relocated to the United States.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Apparently.......

In October (1990), Stedman Pearson pleaded guilty to a charge of public indecency after being arrested in a public toilet in New Malden in London. Following this, the band relocated to the United States.

I don't know why, but the fact that the bogs were in New Malden shocks me more! What was he doing in New Malden?!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Apparently.......

Do they have better toilets there?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they have better toilets there?

Ask George Michael
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but the fact that the bogs were in New Malden shocks me more! What was he doing in New Malden?!!!!!

I think the quoted press report answers that one! More like who was he doing!?:D
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bros's songs had proper song structure type things like middle eights and bridges in. They also wrote their songs and performed them live. Some of today's music makes them sound like musical golden gods in comparison LOL.
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just endured I owe you nothing, trying to see if there's any way I could add it to my mp3 collection without dying of embarrassment. I'm sorry but it would indeed be fatal :)

Too much cheesy sweeping synths and "oooh errr" vocals. No thanks.

In general, if 80s songs were way too pumped up and over the top at the time, they haven't aged well.
    Forum Member
    446.09375 wrote: »
    I've just endured I owe you nothing, trying to see if there's any way I could add it to my mp3 collection without dying of embarrassment. I'm sorry but it would indeed be fatal :)

Too much cheesy sweeping synths and "oooh errr" vocals. No thanks.

In general, if 80s songs were way too pumped up and over the top at the time, they haven't aged well.

I'm not sure pop of any era ages well, except to those who were there at the time!
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure pop of any era ages well, except to those who were there at the time!

Just look at that bloody appalling Marti Pellow...

:cool:
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what makes them good happy, energetic, full of life...not the misery of some late 90's rap and rock.
    Forum Member
    Just look at that bloody appalling Marti Pellow...

:cool:

I'm not going to rise to your childish jibe Mr Soze, as I'm an adult.

But just remember, you have to sleep sometime!!!!
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    That's what makes them good happy, energetic, full of life...not the misery of some late 90's rap and rock.

You won't here any arguements from me!