The Rise of Early Breakfast

beermolebeermole Posts: 21
Forum Member
After all the consolidation and cost cutting by the big groups, it's interesting that there are now more stations broadcasting an Early Breakfast show than probably ever before. Okay, largely networked but I'm wondering what lies behind the business decisions to replace a single overnight show with two shows of 2 to 3 hours duration.

Can any industry insiders or experts explain the rise of the Early Breakfast show? Does the audience change - in scale or interests - after 4am, maybe as it changes from overnighters to early risers? Is it driven by London and networking means that the rest of the country just follows?

I'm not against more shows by any means - just interested to know how the decision gets past the accountants.

Comments

• radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beermole wrote: »
    After all the consolidation and cost cutting by the big groups, it's interesting that there are now more stations broadcasting an Early Breakfast show than probably ever before. Okay, largely networked but I'm wondering what lies behind the business decisions to replace a single overnight show with two shows of 2 to 3 hours duration.

Can any industry insiders or experts explain the rise of the Early Breakfast show? Does the audience change - in scale or interests - after 4am, maybe as it changes from overnighters to early risers? Is it driven by London and networking means that the rest of the country just follows?

I'm not against more shows by any means - just interested to know how the decision gets past the accountants.
    4-6 on capital heart and smooth are pretty pointless they dont offer much
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It started all those years ago with Adrian John from 5am after the 5 minute jingle package.
    From Radio Rewind : Adrian presented the first early morning show on Radio 1 (the station had previously carried the Radio 2 early show presented by Ray Moore

His warm and relaxed style Made him an ideal presenter to wake up to.

Adrian was a Disc Jockey on the QE2 Liner before moving to Radio 1 in 1983. Whilst here he presented Top of the Pops and toured the UK with the Summer Roadshow.

Adrian had to get up at 3.15 each weekday morning for his 6am show, as he lived an hour's drive away from central London.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It started all those years ago with Adrian John from 5am after the 5 minute jingle package.
    From Radio Rewind : Adrian presented the first early morning show on Radio 1 (the station had previously carried the Radio 2 early show presented by Ray Moore

Adrian was a Disc Jockey on the QE2 Liner before moving to Radio 1 in 1983. Whilst here he presented Top of the Pops and toured the UK with the Summer Roadshow.

Adrian had to get up at 3.15 each weekday morning for his 6am show, as he lived an hour's drive away from central London.

That's not correct. Mike Smith presented the early show in 1982, before Adrian John took over in 1983.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member

It clearly did all start with Adrian John because as stated Ray Moore was already doing early breakfast on Radio 1 and 2, so was he the first? Who was on at 6am on day 2 of radios 1 & 2?
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    It clearly did all start with Adrian John because as stated Ray Moore was already doing early breakfast on Radio 1 and 2, so was he the first? Who was on at 6am on day 2 of radios 1 & 2?

Mike Smith was on 6-7 am, I think. It might have been his first show after leaving Capital. Not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I juat double-checked. Didn't realise it was so late in '82 when R1 extended hours, Dec. Adrian John was weekends, Mike Smith.weekdays. I think Smithy depped prior to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time I remember thinking how odd it was that Smith's show was only an hour.What a waste.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    At the time I remember thinking how odd it was that Smith's show was only an hour.What a waste.

The hour long Early Show ran for quite a long time. It's interesting to revisit the schedules to see how the BBC slowly brought the start time forward. First 5.30am and then to 5am before eventually Radio 1 went 24 hours a day.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    The hour long Early Show ran for quite a long time. It's interesting to revisit the schedules to see how the BBC slowly brought the start time forward. First 5.30am and then to 5am before eventually Radio 1 went 24 hours a day.

Then it was 4am-6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    Then it was 4am-6.

moyles mills jk +joel did 4-7
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure you are correct but I thought Adrian John was a Topshop Jock. I can remember when Capital axed Night Flight (02.00-06.30) and introduced the Early Show if I remember with the Fledgling Richard Allinson and I think Philip Schofield, Mitch Johnson, Paul Phear all had a bash after him. Personally I prefer the all night LIVE show to be 01.00-05.00 with breakfast starting at 05.00.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Radio Tees breakfast ran 5-9. I assume to cater for shift workers?
    Never a fan of Adrian John to be honest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    I'm sure you are correct but I thought Adrian John was a Topshop Jock. I can remember when Capital axed Night Flight (02.00-06.30) and introduced the Early Show if I remember with the Fledgling Richard Allinson and I think Philip Schofield, Mitch Johnson, Paul Phear all had a bash after him. Personally I prefer the all night LIVE show to be 01.00-05.00 with breakfast starting at 05.00.

ofcom dictates daytime hours are 0600-1900 which when networking must include local breakfast .thats why globals breakfast shows start at 6
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ofcom dictates daytime hours are 0600-1900 which when networking must include local breakfast .thats why globals breakfast shows start at 6

seems somewhat archaic that an organisation dictates programming to that extent .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you are correct but I thought Adrian John was a Topshop Jock.

Unlikely as it sounds, he did the nations favourite radio station at the same time as the UKs best frock shop (Both statements open to debate ;) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moyles mills jk +joel did 4-7

Yes but the first Early Breakfast of the 24hr era was 4-6.
    Forum Member
    Borsant wrote: »
    Yes but the first Early Breakfast of the 24hr era was 4-6.

Yes, Mayo then did breakfast 6-9am. Was Simon Mayo the only Radio 1 breakfast show presenter who started that early with all the others 6:30 or 7?

Interestingly Radio 1 breakfast never used to run as late as 10am either finishing at 9 or 9:30, it was actually Mayo's departure from Radio 1 in 2001 which caused breakfast to be extended to 10am as they used this to reduce the no./s of shows between breakfast and drive from 3 (mornings, lunch, afternoon) to 2. Jo Whiley then got 10-1, Mark Radclife pulled forward to 1pm and Moyles was given an extra hour of his drive show starting at 3.

Mark Radclife was always seen as too alternative daytime for more than 2 hours, so never got extended which was a shame, afternoon slot then got increased to 3 hours from 1 to 4 and drive moved from 3-6 to 4-7 which then allowed them to drop another show, late drive, with Dave Pearce's departure from daytime this was all in 2004.

Interesting that 11 years on and Radio 1 still sticks with this same schedule of early breakfast, breakfast, mornings, afternoons and drive. I guess with the current cuts we're unlikely to see a lunch or late drive show return or though Radio 2 still manage to have a lunch show.

Never understood why Radio 2 don't start live programming until 5am when Radio 1 start at 4am, surely the older Radio 2 demographic are more likely to be up between 4 and 5am on a weekday that Radio 1's? Why can't Radio 2 have a 2.5 hour early breakfast like Radio 1, 1.5 hours seems a very short show in this day and age.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beermole wrote: »

Paul Easton did a blog recently and mentioned that 1.36 million people listen to radio in London between 4 and 6am - approx 12% of the TSA.
    https://pauleaston.wordpress.com/2015/07/05/london-calling/

I would imagine nationally there is a sizeable audience available as well which is why I would guess networks have gone for early breakfast shows.

The more potential audience you can reach the more it makes it worth your while to do it.

I imagine the audience does change at 4am - you go from nightworkers to a mixture of nightworkers and early risers. When Nick Abbot filled in on Talk Radio overnights in the 90s he said he found callers dropped off at 4am as nightworkers were winding down and early risers were getting up so didn't want to call.

Certainly if you look at the regular show on Talk Radio at that point of history - Ian Collins - there did seem to be change in content and direction around 5am.
    seems somewhat archaic that an organisation dictates programming to that extent .

Not really - there's nothing to stop them starting their breakfast shows at 5 if they wanted to.

I can see why they don't though. Yes there is a sizeable audience from 5-6am nationally and in bigger markets. However as the markets get smaller is it worth the breakfast teams putting energy into content for 5-6am hour when more people are going to listen later on?

However I do suspect that if by any chance Ofcom were to define daytime as starting at 5am we could see some breakfast shows starting then - probably with a "Best Of" voicetracked hour.
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    Paul Easton did a blog recently and mentioned that 1.36 million people listen to radio in London between 4 and 6am - approx 12% of the TSA.
    https://pauleaston.wordpress.com/2015/07/05/london-calling/

I would imagine nationally there is a sizeable audience available as well which is why I would guess networks have gone for early breakfast shows.

The more potential audience you can reach the more it makes it worth your while to do it.

I imagine the audience does change at 4am - you go from nightworkers to a mixture of nightworkers and early risers. When Nick Abbot filled in on Talk Radio overnights in the 90s he said he found callers dropped off at 4am as nightworkers were winding down and early risers were getting up so didn't want to call.

Certainly if you look at the regular show on Talk Radio at that point of history - Ian Collins - there did seem to be change in content and direction around 5am.

Not really - there's nothing to stop them starting their breakfast shows at 5 if they wanted to.

I can see why they don't though. Yes there is a sizeable audience from 5-6am nationally and in bigger markets. However as the markets get smaller is it worth the breakfast teams putting energy into content for 5-6am hour when more people are going to listen later on?

However I do suspect that if by any chance Ofcom were to define daytime as starting at 5am we could see some breakfast shows starting then - probably with a "Best Of" voicetracked hour.

Surely 5-6am needs to be live it's when people are waking up and what live content to start there day and no what's going on in the world.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely 5-6am needs to be live it's when people are waking up and what live content to start there day and no what's going on in the world.

As I said there is a sizeable audience if you look at big markets and nationally - but as you look at stations with small-medium sized TSAs is it worth their while having somewhere live at 5am?
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Before it switched to broadcasting 18 hours a day in 1982 , Radio 1 used to relay the Radio 2 early show between 5.am to 7.am every morning except Sunday. On Sunday mornings Radio 1 would play some jingles for 5 minutes before Junior Choice ( which was if my memory is right was presented by Tony Blackburn.
    I've never understood the point of Radio 1 doing those early morning Radio 2 relays as by the early 1980's Radio 2 which had switched to 24 hour programmes had its own slots on Medium Wave as well as the lions share of time on 88 to 91 FM.
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    As I said there is a sizeable audience if you look at big markets and nationally - but as you look at stations with small-medium sized TSAs is it worth their while having somewhere live at 5am?

Agreed no point a small local being live at 5am, but many locals are now part of a network e.g. Heart, Capital. I'd expect these to have big networked early show. Is Jenni Faulkner live, I know she also does Sunday earlies? I'd really expect Heart to be live at 5am weekdays, maybe undertsand the Sunday show being voice tracked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed no point a small local being live at 5am, but many locals are now part of a network e.g. Heart, Capital. I'd expect these to have big networked early show. Is Jenni Faulkner live, I know she also does Sunday earlies? I'd really expect Heart to be live at 5am weekdays, maybe undertsand the Sunday show being voice tracked.

Jenni Falconer is live, I think. Don't know about Sun
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was the first early show the one on Piccadilly Radio in the late seventies? It was called the Earlybird Show and ran from 3.00am to 7.00am.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    When Terry Wogan left the breakfast show in 1985, Ray Moore was 6-8. More breakfast than early breakfast.
    Also around that time Mike Read couldn't get up in a morning so Beerling (who wanted to fire him) let him start at 7:30