Options

How would we cope with World War 3 if declared?

lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If Cameron declared that this country is at war tomorrow would we cope better than before?
I think the entitled lot would cause a stink and some people would sue for compensation because their holiday was cancelled as for rationing there would be a lot of people who wouldn't cope again mainly with the PC entitled lot.
Then there is our borders. In the previous wars we were literally an island by ourselfs. Now with the euro tunnel and bigger airports it's a new ball game.
As for production we we would struggle because we import from overseas with would of been cut off during WW3.
Internet would be closed for security reasons and I don't see how the present generation would cope with air raids or nuclear attacks.
On the plus side it would be a novelty that Germany would be on outside for once as they own most of Europe anyway. Russia would hate everyone as usual and Austraila and Greece would join the White flag country Switzerland.

So would this generation cope with WOrld War?

Comments

• Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Probably by being vapourised in a very short space of time.

One scenario works like this:

Russia becomes nervous about the number of former Soviet states (say, for example, Ukraine) wanting to join NATO thus presenting them with a potential enemy on their doorstep.

Diplomacy doesn't work because the US insists on its God given right to put its peace loving, humanitarian missiles on Russia's doorstep and threatens Russia not to even think about using its satanic weapons of mass destruction.

Putin mobilises his huge army and begins "exercises and manoeuvres" on the border with Ukraine. The US condemns this as "Russian Warmongering" and moves peaceful NATO forces into Ukraine, even though they haven't yet joined NATO and haven't asked for foreign interventions.

Conventional war breaks out when an aerial drone fires a Hellfire missile "accidentally" at Russian forces. Russia retaliates and NATO forces are routed. Within 100 hours Russian troops are lined up all along the western coast of Europe.

A nuclear conflagration follows when Britain and France launch their Nuclear Deterrents (you know the ones... the weapons that "ensure the peace"). Russia nukes the UK, the US responds by wiping out the Russian forces in Western Europe, and in doing so, Western Europe with it.

The Russians and Americans then strike a deal to ensure that their own homelands are not attacked and everybody goes home, leaving Western Europe a radioactive wasteland for the next 20'000 years but Moscow and Washington aren't touched so that makes it alright then.

Could it happen..? You decide.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, this generation would have more sense than previous ones, and refuse to sacrifice itself on the command of those who would lose least. I'm not just talking just about our own young people, but those on both sides.

Unfortunately, history (and the last general election) suggests that it's really all down to propaganda and people are pretty easy to manipulate, so I guess that's a futile hope. Doubtless the current generation will do what previous ones have had to. After all, it appears that people don't really change that much.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am outside of the blast radius for all of the major military and economic targets so it would probably be a case of a slow death from radiation poisoning.

If it was a war without a nuclear attack then you would still have a fairly large death toll from all of the idiots who drive their cars into rivers and lakes when the GPS satellites get turned off.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as we stockpiled enough bread and milk, we'd probably get through it.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    As long as we stockpiled enough bread and milk, we'd probably get through it.

Bread and milk are not the best things to stockpile unless you only plan on stockpiling enough to last a week. Any longer and you just have a big pile of mouldy bread and curdled milk.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, just curious, is there anything in particular you've seen that made you start this thread?

I honestly think the mainstream media are now starting to eek things out to soften the population up for what might be about to occur. USA and UK are, to all intents and purposes, treating Ukraine as part of NATO now, and I think a full Russian invasion is going to happen this month. France and Germany really don't want it, but as usual, this country is being dragged along with the Pentagon to fight for a load of racists and homophobes who are just as bad as the Russians facing them.

This message board might open people's eyes as to what is going on, particular last night's observation of massive jamming of US military frequencies, and a Russian expedition to the Arctic which for some reason includes a motorized infantry division ready to conduct 'live fire' exercises.

http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Cameron said it, the people in charge would just laugh at him.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever anyone mentions World War 3 my first thought is always that woman pissing herself in Threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably by being vapourised in a very short space of time.

One scenario works like this:

Russia becomes nervous about the number of former Soviet states (say, for example, Ukraine) wanting to join NATO thus presenting them with a potential enemy on their doorstep.

Diplomacy doesn't work because the US insists on its God given right to put its peace loving, humanitarian missiles on Russia's doorstep and threatens Russia not to even think about using its satanic weapons of mass destruction.

Putin mobilises his huge army and begins "exercises and manoeuvres" on the border with Ukraine. The US condemns this as "Russian Warmongering" and moves peaceful NATO forces into Ukraine, even though they haven't yet joined NATO and haven't asked for foreign interventions.

Conventional war breaks out when an aerial drone fires a Hellfire missile "accidentally" at Russian forces. Russia retaliates and NATO forces are routed. Within 100 hours Russian troops are lined up all along the western coast of Europe.

I'm not sure that would happen. Russian conventional forces are nowhere near as strong as NATO, if it stayed conventional, they would lose. This is why Putin constantly refers to nuclear weapons. He sees them as a 'de-escalation' strategy. He is perfectly capable of launching one tactical warhead to destroy, say, a small city in Poland or the Ukrainian base in Lviv, and dare NATO to escalate further. I actually think this is a very real scenario. Either NATO retaliation leads to a full strategic exchange (end of life on the planet), or NATO collapses and we all have to live in the shadow of a country that is perfectly happy to use nuclear weapons.

There is a massive Russian exercise planned for next month. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a cover for a full-scale invasion of Ukraine right up to Kiev and beyond. And don't forget, there are approx 1800 NATO troops (mainly US, but up to 100 Brits) based in Lviv 'training' the Ukrainians.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    The living would envy the dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    floog wrote: »
    Whenever anyone mentions World War 3 my first thought is always that woman pissing herself in Threads.

The War Game was enough for me, can you summarise?
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be like Fallout. Some of us would emerge from the safety of underground bunkers, only to be met by hordes of marauding mutants and gangs of rampaging raiders. Then it would be a case of getting communities to work together, despite their suspicion of each other, in order for good to win the day.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

The bomb goes off. She sees this and pisses herself.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'd be well screwed as successive governments have run down our manufacturing industries and turned our main industry into service based to we'll have to defend ourselves with cold calling and poor financial advice led by mounted divisions of smartphone weilding bankers and spreadsheet weilding accountants, suppported by the bureaucrats with their miles of red tape.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

I don't even want to think about Threads never mind talk about it, it is about a nuclear attack on Sheffield. Yeah yeah, I have heard all the jokes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    floog wrote: »
    The bomb goes off. She sees this and pisses herself.

I'd evacuate all orifices. Fortunately I live near Ground Zero and will be vapour before my brain can react.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dive under the stairs and hold my breath for 10 mins.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, just curious, is there anything in particular you've seen that made you start this thread?

I honestly think the mainstream media are now starting to eek things out to soften the population up for what might be about to occur. USA and UK are, to all intents and purposes, treating Ukraine as part of NATO now, and I think a full Russian invasion is going to happen this month. France and Germany really don't want it, but as usual, this country is being dragged along with the Pentagon to fight for a load of racists and homophobes who are just as bad as the Russians facing them.

This message board might open people's eyes as to what is going on, particular last night's observation of massive jamming of US military frequencies, and a Russian expedition to the Arctic which for some reason includes a motorized infantry division ready to conduct 'live fire' exercises.

http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
    I've been thinking for it for a while probably due huge landmark years since first and second war. I just thought after VJ Day how would we cope today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I've been thinking for it for a while probably due huge landmark years since first and second war. I just thought after VJ Day how would we cope today

Well, I've been posting about this sort of thing since April, shortly after the Putin disappearance, Nemtsov assassination and the massive Russian 'drills' (which included practice of an invasion of part of Sweden!), and have been pretty much dismissed.

I'm not trying to scare people because I'm a nasty person or anything, I'm trying to get people to wake up like we did in the 80s over Cruise, and like many did over Iraq, and start questioning what our government does on our behalf. Why was it not an election issue that Cameron was sending 'trainers' to Ukraine's army, when countries like France and Germany were emphasizing the need to avoid a military solution? Ed Miliband certainly didn't make it one.

I do not believe we should be risking the future of the continent to help out an illegitimate, corrupt, post-Soviet regime fight a fratricidal war with its mirror image in Moscow. That doesn't mean I think we should constantly give in to Putin though - Corbyn with his ridiculous ideas of unilateral nuclear disarmament and a hand of friendship to Putin - it's gone beyond that.

We should team up with other civilised nations in northern Europe who are potentially under threat from Russia - basically, the Scandinavian nations - and strengthen our collective defence, with particular regard to air power. I would not have a problem with UK training troops from Sweden or Finland, though tbf, the Finns especially are tough men and women and will do their best to look after themselves.

I'm not saying something's definitely going to happen beyond Ukraine, but how the US and UK deal with any developments there is going to have a massive affect on how the world situation develops, and I think the more people are aware of the kind of people we are dealing with in Putin, Poroshenko, the US Neocons etc, there is a small chance that public opinion can persuade European governments to take an alternative route.

Regime change in Russia is NOT an option. If Putin thinks he is going to lose power, he will take us all down with him. The only option is that civilised nations try to limit the international damage he can cause. As for Russia, they voted him in, he enjoys massive popularity there still, so he probably reflects the kind of country it is right now... the idiotic Americans lost the chance to push Russia in a different direction with their arrogant attitude to Yeltsin in the 90s. (Blame Clinton for that).
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would make sure I was under the first wave of nukes, I don't think I could cope in a post apocalyptic world as I struggle now.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    If there was a World War 3, there would be two real players:

The nuclear countries
    The non-nuclear countries

The nuclear countries would be clean and tidy and there would be less suffering. But these countries would be in more danger as other countries launch nuclear attacks and wipe out populations.

For the non-nuclear countries, it would be like World War 2 with modern technology.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgetting about advances in wartime techniques I don't think most of us would cope as well as those in World War 2,
    Because generation after generation we have become increasingly deskilled. and reliant on technology.
    Whether old style warfare or an EMP attack say - it won't be pretty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today Putin announced "Russian and Ukrainian, we are all one people, there is no difference."

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ie&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://tvzvezda.ru/news/vstrane_i_mire/content/201508172008-7377.htm

If that is not a statement of intent, I don't know what is.

Of course Russia - or the USSR - invaded Hungary in 56 and Czechoslovakia in 68 without creating WW3, because, tragic though those events were, a Russian 'sphere of influence' was accepted by the west as the price for avoiding nuclear conflict. Current US policy recognizes no spheres of influence other than American.

So soon we could see America getting drawn deeper and deeper in on Poroshenko's side, Cameron dragging UK along like a lapdog, and in the middle of it all, Merkel trying to save Europe from the abyss.

The abuse Merkel gets from both pro-Ukrainian and pro-Russian extremists tells me she's probably the only sane one in all of this, on the side of normal people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putin won't start World War 3 , so don't worry too much .
    The Russians don't want to be instantaneously melted by the Americans
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Putin won't start World War 3 , so don't worry too much .
    The Russians don't want to be instantaneously melted by the Americans

He likes to posture, but would be MAD to cross the mutually assured destruction line.