Options

Is SOC the new Louise Berridge?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
Remember Louise Berridge?, the producer who axed long term favourites like Mark, Roy, Barry and Jamie?

I fear SOC is going to follow in her footsteps. He has already axed huge characters like Ronnie and Roxy along with fan favourites Pam and Les.
Louise introduced legends like Alfie, Chrissie and Jane but she also created unpopular characters aswell.

If SOC continues to axe the shows most well known characters I fear that it will not feel like Eastenders anymore.
I also wouldn't put it past him to kill off Phil.

Comments

• Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Matt Robinson seems like a more apt comparison
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's only been in the job for a very short time.

Mark Fowler was certainly one of the bigger characters of his time, so Louise Berridge axing him was definitely a shock, although the nature of his storyline probably meant he was going to get written out. I don't think the treatment and medication for HIV in 2003 were as well developed as they are now.

Also SOC has yet to introduce any new characters of his own. If he brings in characters as bad as the Ferreiras or Andy Hunter, then maybe a Berridge comparison is on the cards.

Also I think Barry's axing was done out of spite because of the actor wanting a bit of time off for panto...something a lot of EE actors do.

With Jamie, I think Jack Ryder quit on his own terms. He became pretty jaded by working on EE judging by past interviews.
  • Options
    lux_aeternalux_aeterna Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of agree that if he axes anymore familiar characters, it won't feel like EE anymore.
    If he ever axed beales or carters, I'd stop watching indefinitely.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise was dealt with some massive bad luck though. About 60-70 per cent of what happened during her reign wasn't even down to her.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt we can judge yet
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise was dealt with some massive bad luck though. About 60-70 per cent of what happened during her reign wasn't even down to her.

Exactly! She initially started off great and she brought in some of the best characters on show.

Much of her problems were backstage related. Also a number of actors had to take time off resulting in major script re-writes. LB also had a stalker which no doubt caused great trauma.

Aside from a few bad decisions, IMO Berridge was more a victim of circumstances. She was capable, but all these factors messed things up.

She was no where near as bad as Kate Harwood or Bryan Kirkwood.
  • Options
    Joe_H11Joe_H11 Posts: 5,623
    Forum Member
    Exactly! She initially started off great and she brought in some of the best characters on show.

Much of her problems were backstage related. Also a number of actors had to take time off resulting in major script re-writes. LB also had a stalker which no doubt caused great trauma.

Aside from a few bad decisions, IMO Berridge was more a victim of circumstances. She was capable, but all these factors messed things up.

She was no where near as bad as Kate Harwood or Bryan Kirkwood.

Why what happened