Options

Longevity of android tablet?

Comments

• Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its worth considering that you are likely to own a tablet for more than 2 years (which is typical mobile phone contract length) and if OS updates cease you may well be left in the lurch.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Thankfully, Samsung released Marshmallow for the S2 last week.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    After just a few hours with my new Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" I can heartily recommend it. The speed and responsiveness compared to my old Hudl 1 is like night and day (similar to the move from my old Nokia 5800 mobile to my current Lumia 820). Just waiting for the case to arrive so I can safely carry it in my work bag.

Oh man you must love it. Difference between that and a hudl is night and day. The super amoled screen must blow you away. I had a tab s but cracked the screen but it was awesome. I have a iPad Air 2 as well and the tab s was just a quick and I though the tab s screen was better.

I just bought the new S2 8" (snapdragon processor) for my son as he had a galaxy tab 3 which was old. I thought it was better to go high end simply as it will be future proof. In 2 years time the tech will not be dated and it will still fly, Only negative I have is Samsung downgraded the screen slightly from the tab s. Resolution is still great but the ppi is less than the tab s. Not sure why they downgraded the screen quality on a newer model?
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all the research and advice given here I haven't been able to upgrade either way.

Both my laptop and PC went belly up this week so will need to sort those before I think of upgrading my tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    After all the research and advice given here I haven't been able to upgrade either way.

Both my laptop and PC went belly up this week so will need to sort those before I think of upgrading my tablet.

Surface Pro?

I really want one of those its just they are so expensive. Its the only device I see as a true laptop replacement.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    All come down to how much you pay.

If you buy a cheap import at £50, you may only get a couple of years.

If you pay £100's for a quality build say a Samsung, you should get several years.

If you even pay half as much as for an iPAD, then it should last.

Still a random element though - its like buying cars - Audis are great quality but even Audis fail now and then.

I have an IPad Mini 4 and iPad Air 1 and most recently a Lenovo Tab3. And guess that, the Lenovo is the one I find myself using more and more. And it only cost £150.

The only things I have noticed is that opening apps is a tad slower than the Air and when you type on the onscreen keyboard, you have to be very precise where you hit or else you get another letter all-together. But those are deal-breakers, and at less than half the price of the Air, it is pretty good going.

Build quality is just as good as with Apple, it isn't a dodgy cheap import and I'm surprised it isn't spoken of in the same way as Samsungs, which are quite a bit more expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I have an IPad Mini 4 and iPad Air 1 and most recently a Lenovo Tab3. And guess that, the Lenovo is the one I find myself using more and more. And it only cost £150.

The only things I have noticed is that opening apps is a tad slower than the Air and when you type on the onscreen keyboard, you have to be very precise where you hit or else you get another letter all-together. But those are deal-breakers, and at less than half the price of the Air, it is pretty good going.

Build quality is just as good as with Apple, it isn't a dodgy cheap import and I'm surprised it isn't spoken of in the same way as Samsungs, which are quite a bit more expensive.

Screen resolution.

The high end Samsung tablets have super amoled screens. The screen resolution is way higher than the Lenovo tablet you mentioned.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Will an android tablet last me this long?

Probably so long as it's not dropped,etc. I've had my Android tablet for at least 3 years and I can't see any noticeable drop in performance, etc.

Even if the battery in a heavily used tablet needs replacing, it's not that difficult or expensive to do/get done.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will an android tablet last me this long?

Probably so long as it's not dropped,etc. I've had my Android tablet for at least 3 years and I can't see any noticeable drop in performance, etc.

Even if the battery in a heavily used tablet needs replacing, it's not that difficult or expensive to do/get done.

There is no way you can replace a later samsung galaxy tablet yourself.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    There is no way you can replace a later samsung galaxy tablet yourself.

Replacing a samsung tablet battery in a later tablet that is.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Screen resolution.

The high end Samsung tablets have super amoled screens. The screen resolution is way higher than the Lenovo tablet you mentioned.

Build quality, added features like fingerprint scanners, a faster processor, and better gpu.

Also you are more likely to get software updates from Samsung. That's what the extra money buys you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Build quality, added features like fingerprint scanners, a faster processor, and better gpu.

Also you are more likely to get software updates from Samsung. That's what the extra money buys you.

To be fair Lenovo are decent with Android updates. Samsung can be hit and miss. New devices yes but anything outside a 2 year window and it can be troublesome.

Take the Tab S tablets. They are more than powerful enough to get the latest Android OS yet Marshmellow has still not been released for these tablets which is simply a joke.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair Lenovo are decent with Android updates. Samsung can be hit and miss. New devices yes but anything outside a 2 year window and it can be troublesome.

Take the Tab S tablets. They are more than powerful enough to get the latest Android OS yet Marshmellow has still not been released for these tablets which is simply a joke.

Lenovo have recently come out and said that they won't be committing to the monthly Android security updates as they don't think they are important
    😯

http://www.androidauthority.com/no-monthly-security-updates-moto-z-705992/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My S2 got Marshmallow a couple of weeks ago? :confused:
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Screen resolution.

I don't doubt it, but the picture on the Lenovo is fine, not lacking in any way, and I wouldn't notice and improvement if the resolution were jacked up. And why pay double for an 'improvement' which is, at best, marginal?
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I don't doubt it, but the picture on the Lenovo is fine, not lacking in any way, and I wouldn't notice and improvement if the resolution were jacked up. And why pay double for an 'improvement' which is, at best, marginal?

Frankly if it's a 7" tablet then a moderate resolution is absolutely fine. I have a 8.9" Hudl2 that has a 1080p resolution and that's very sharp. Anything less than 1080p on, say, a 10" tablet or larger will start to be noticeable especially when zoomed in or reading fine text.

So what you use the tablet for and the screen size plays a part as well as the resolution.

Pixels per inch (PPI) is a more accurate measure as it factors in both resolution and screen size.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Is yours the 9.7" or 8". My 8" hasn't got it yet. Although not bothered and to be honest I don't notice the difference between Lollipop on there and Marshamllow on my phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My S2 is the 9.7" version. Have you manually checked for an update (the automatic notification may have got "lost in the post").
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tab S tablets are the ones before the S2 series.

My son's 8 inch S2 is Marshmellow out of the box but his version is the more recent release with the snapdragon processor.

Marginal?

The S2 8" has a Resolution of 1536 x 2048 pixels (~320 ppi pixel density).

The Lenova Tab3 has 800 x 1280 resolution (~149 PPI).

That's quite the difference. Side by side it would be impossible not to notice the difference. Not forgetting that Super Amoled screens make the colours really pop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is Lenovo's plans for Android updates for tablets and phones. Sadly it shows just how little support they have for Android tablets.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht501098
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Android Nougat 7.0 has begun rolling out toady however if you have a Nexus 7 (2013) it will not be getting this update. Less than 3 years after launch Google have terminated support. Sadly Apple are the only good ones at supporting older hardware.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/22/rip-the-nexus-5-isnt-getting-android-7-0-nougat-lets-say-our-goodbyes/
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always Cyanogen ;-)
  • Options
    midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android Nougat 7.0 has begun rolling out toady however if you have a Nexus 7 (2013) it will not be getting this update. Less than 3 years after launch Google have terminated support. Sadly Apple are the only good ones at supporting older hardware.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/22/rip-the-nexus-5-isnt-getting-android-7-0-nougat-lets-say-our-goodbyes/

After the disaster of pushing lollipop to the previous Nexus 7, I'm glad of this. Ended up having to flash it back to KitKat as the device was lag city with lolipop. I now have a "click to update" in my mentions which I can't get rid of.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the disaster of pushing lollipop to the previous Nexus 7, I'm glad of this. Ended up having to flash it back to KitKat as the device was lag city with lolipop. I now have a "click to update" in my mentions which I can't get rid of.

You have to turn off notifications for Google Play Services in Settings > Apps
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My Nexus 7 2013 tablet is my main day-to-day tablet. However with it not receiving Android N, will it still keep receiving monthly Android security updates? I have the latest one for August.

Does anyone know of a good 7inch tablet that's equal to or better than the Nexus 7 2013 right now?