Newcomer at Skyrim - advice please

2»

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread but it fits into Skyrim newbie advice.

I'm carrying my full 300/300 items, i have lots of low stat clothing/armour. Am i ok to just drop these or is there a chest or whatever where i can store things ?

How do i know what is more useful than other things ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone give me advice for the Thalmor Embassy mission. After I pick up my gear theres 2 guards and no matter what I do I keep getting clobbered.

You may have to make a run for it outside the Embassy and give your self some distance. There is an exit that leads outside but you'll find more of them waiting to batter you.

If your sneak skill is high you could sneak past them or use the Dragon Shout unrelenting push to get them out of the way then run for it. Once you're outside there's another building across the courtyard and in there is the documents you're looking for...plus more guards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »

I'm carrying my full 300/300 items, i have lots of low stat clothing/armour. Am i ok to just drop these or is there a chest or whatever where i can store things ?

If you're near some traders sell them, loose some weight and get money in return. Look at the items in your inventory that do the most damage, or offers the best protection, or enhances your majoc skills and flog the rest.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What gear do you have? What level are you? Do you have an Invisibility potion or an Oak/Stoneflesh etc spell. Paralysis potions are always your friend.
    I sneak and snipe a lot with an enchanted bow.

I've not done this mission yet on my 2nd & 3rd plays. On my 1st I was level 65-ish when i got around to this so I was pretty badass and they never caused me a problem.

Oops looks like Im trying to do this mission waaaay too early, Ive basicly just done the story missions until now and only a few side quests :o
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you want to keep things there is a chest in your house. Did you get the house in Whiterun yet?
    Most of the stuff you pick up you'll end up selling until you have more money than sense and have to build a house of your own (Hearthfire DLC).

You'll figure out what needs to be kept hold of to be sold later and what you should drop or not pick up at all.
    Oops looks like Im trying to do this mission waaaay too early, Ive basicly just done the story missions until now and only a few side quests :o

You don't want to be too overpowered. I was almost invincible toward the end of my 1st characters playthrough. I was level 79 and would 4-hit kill ancient dragons. My only weakness was fire (playing as Dark Elf), but I was never in a fight long enough to be seriously hurt especially if I equipped (with 60% Fire Resistance) my shield.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone give me advice for the Thalmor Embassy mission. After I pick up my gear theres 2 guards and no matter what I do I keep getting clobbered.

They do wander off and stand with their back to you, so you should be able to sneak up and get 1 power sneak attack in and hopefully take him out before the other joins in.

Or an arrow to the back and scarper to the other room and hide round the corner behind the screen (close the door if you are quick enough). They might not find you and allow you to sneak back and have another shot.

They do have quite good kit, so you might find looting the first body useful.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me the best places to sell loot? When I pick up a necklace for example, and I take it to a shop I only seem to get around half of what its worth.

Also it seems I cant sell things like necklaces and gems.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me the best places to sell loot? When I pick up a necklace for example, and I take it to a shop I only seem to get around half of what its worth.

Also it seems I cant sell things like necklaces and gems.

Items will sell for less early on, heck I still get rubbish prices:o

As your speech increases and over time it should go up, you could put perks into the speech tree, but personally I think it's a waste when you can get money later on in various repeatable quests. The Khajiit traders will take just about everything and there's a jewel buyer in Riften and in the Riften sewers once you become a member of the Thieves guild.

If you enchant the jewellery then you can sell to the mage in Dragonsreach and the price for selling will go up.

I'm sure others can explain in more detail, my brain is rusty tonight.:o
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    To start with traders are mostly limited in what they will buy and you only get a miserable fraction of the value. You can improve that by putting points into the skill tree for speech.

If you like trading then the investor perk is an essential as once you invest in the guy at the riverwood trader he will have 10750 gold to spend every 48 hrs and you can wait inside the shop without problems too. Lets you offload large amounts of expensive stuff quite quickly.

There really is no point though as you rapidly run out of anything to spend the cash on. I ended up with over 1.5 million in gold last time I played but I just couldn't stop myself collecting/crafting & selling.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Join the mages guild or the companions and you get a free bed and somewhere to store your gear. buying a house is another option.
    You can also leave your gear in empty chests or barrels (not in dungeons though) a good place is the barrels at the back of the Riverwood forge.
    Or get a follower and dump it onto them.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To start with traders are mostly limited in what they will buy and you only get a miserable fraction of the value. You can improve that by putting points into the skill tree for speech.

If you like trading then the investor perk is an essential as once you invest in the guy at the riverwood trader he will have 10750 gold to spend every 48 hrs and you can wait inside the shop without problems too. Lets you offload large amounts of expensive stuff quite quickly.

There really is no point though as you rapidly run out of anything to spend the cash on. I ended up with over 1.5 million in gold last time I played but I just couldn't stop myself collecting/crafting & selling.

I know what you mean. All I spend my money on is crafting compnents and alchemy ingredients. Then craft and create go to Riverwood and sell and buy more stuff. Then off to the College and sell and then buy soul gems and ingredients. Rinse and repeat. It's such a mundane process but can eat up hours of game time. I hate that I love that about this game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never go to Riverwood, just use Whiterun, plenty enough places to buy and sell everything there (except Black Soul Gems). There are about 5 shops, what more can you want.

I also only buy crafting supplies when I have sufficient stock to sell so I get the cash back. Never leave a trader with more than 100 gold in his coffers when you walk out the door.

Enchanting is where the mega bucks is. I can make daggers that sell for 800-1200 gold with just a Petty Soul Gem, a couple of those will clean out most merchants, even if I have bought a pile of Ebony Ingots. A handful of self enchanted rings etc at 200-800 each gold fills in the gaps.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only time I use Riverwood trader, apart from the start of the game, is when Ive got all speech perks, he has about 11,000 gold then if you've invested in him.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Its ages since I played this and now all your chat is making me want to play it again.

I don't know if that's a road I want to go down again.