EE commit to LTE Advanced (O2 not interested in it)

2»

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having only a small amount of 800 shouldn't affect how the coverage is at all, it's more to do with capacity ie speed and if really tasked call quality. LTE doesn't breath when spectrum gets tight due to a mast getting busy.

Ah okay didn't realise that wonder how networks will perform then.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the real advantage of LTE or LTE-A is coverage, not speed. As has been said the vast majority don't really need more than 5-10Mbps. Assuming LTE mirrors 2G (on 1800Mhz) it's going to be massively better for people like me living is a very rural area. That's why I'm on EE4G and still waiting for it to get to me. The speed and latency will be very nice but the clincher for me will be having LTE in the many places where I currently only get 2G. LTE will need to be rolled out country wide before this becomes apparent to the masses.
    VoLTE will of course employ some sort of QOS where on a swamped mast there will always be some reserved capacity for voice.
    Again LTE-A, while Super fast, it's added advantage will be that it will probably be running at 700Mhz making coverage even better and further improving its ability to become a fixed line replacement in rural areas.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are going to trial LTE A in 2013 the article states:

"EE's Howard Jones has added on Twitter that the network will start trailing carrier aggregation, LTE-A (that's even better 4G) later in 2013."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/ee-to-double-4g-lte-spectrum-allocation/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are going to trial LTE A in 2013 the article states:

"EE's Howard Jones has added on Twitter that the network will start trailing carrier aggregation, LTE-A (that's even better 4G) later in 2013."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/ee-to-double-4g-lte-spectrum-allocation/

What we want to know is how to get on the trial?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we want to know is how to get on the trial?!

Call EE and volunteer! It's bound to be restricted to a vey small area initially for trials though. Probably around the EE head office!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call EE and volunteer! It's bound to be restricted to a vey small area initially for trials though. Probably around the EE head office!

Yes probably based in London. Just wondering what phones support it.

LTE Advanced infomation can be found here:

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wireless-networks/technologies/lte-advanced
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Look at this logically, as it stands at the moment EE has put coverage in 50% of the UK. It's packages are considerably more expensive than even its own sister brands. People maybe using a lot of data nowadays, but I feel the main benefits that 4G brings (increased speed in the main) most people won't notice. I have used 4G and it doesn't load emails or websites any faster than standard HSPA+ if it does it is negligable. The hard job isn't getting the network up and running its convincing people to part with more money for what is in effect the same or lesser service than they currently receive.
    50% of the UK or 50% of the population theoretically? That's a massive difference...
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a massive F-U to Three & their ultra fast network ploy of trying to pass 3G off as 4G.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    a massive F-U to Three & their ultra fast network ploy of trying to pass 3G off as 4G.

Have they?

I know sod all about 4G but i have never seen 3 passing that off as 4G....:confused:
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Have they?

I know sod all about 4G but i have never seen 3 passing that off as 4G....:confused:

Their whole marketing of "ultra fast" is designed to muddy the waters between 3G and 4G. and cause confusion for the consumer.

i much prefer the open approach of the others with their clear message of this is 3G and this is 4G
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I agree, EE has just gave the perception of being the fastest network. Listening to the TV & radio with presenters that are fairly clueless they were making it sound like (especially the less tech savvy) that EE have LTE-A already.. lol.

It is a finger up to those getting 20ish on Three, and pals only getting 25-30 on EE4G.. They will get more like double that. Bragging rights does create a kind of word of mouth advertising for a brand.

With price plans going to be re-jigged again, to take advantage of this sure see more move to 4G. Although still slowly. (Think about how long 2G - 3G took)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    plans changing again?

Hook me up with 40-50GB for that £60-70 a month an I might do a sly swap to 4g...
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Their whole marketing of "ultra fast" is designed to muddy the waters between 3G and 4G. and cause confusion for the consumer.

i much prefer the open approach of the others with their clear message of this is 3G and this is 4G

Didn't confuse me and i know nothing about the 2 of them!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's not there Ultrafast network is actually a brilliant idea and if you ask they perfectly explain it to you and it's easy to understand. They are building a great DC-HSDPA which will act as a brilliant alternative to 4G. Like how 2G is now a backup system to other networks, There is still a few black spots on there 3G spots but a lot less than some other networks.

It is clearly explained here

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Built_for_internetting

Plus in stores they explain as well yes it's a marketing gimmick but honestly it's completely true as well they have a brilliant network for internet at moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think people care what technology is used as long as they get the service they need, so 3's Ultrafast branding makes a lot of sense so long as they can deliver the data and provide the customer experience expected from top end smartphones like the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S3/4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people care what technology is used as long as they get the service they need, so 3's Ultrafast branding makes a lot of sense so long as they can deliver the data and provide the customer experience expected from top end smartphones like the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S3/4.

They seem to be able to deliver a customer experience and data speeds at moment. Only thing I ever really hear bad is that there customer service on the phone is shit which I agree with they should consider setting up some call centres in UK but apart from there I don't hear a lot of complainants. I know a lot of my friends went solely for them over EE as they are die hard apple fans I can imagine that a lot of other people went with them for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit more on LTE and developing standards.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/10/lte_b_3gpp/