The 70's - 4 Part BBC Two Documentary, Saturdays

ThisGenerationThisGeneration Posts: 357
Forum Member
Historian Dominic Sandbrook explores life in Britain throughout the 1970's. Tonight's episode looks at the period of 70-72.

I only flicked it on to see what it was like, and so far it's really interesting with some great music. I was born in 77, so it'll be interesting for me when that gets covered.

Who else is watching?

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
    Forum Member
    Historian Dominic Sandbrook explores life in Britain throughout the 1970's. Tonight's episode looks at the period of 70-72.

I only flicked it on to see what it was like, and so far it's really interesting with some great music. I was born in 77, so it'll be interesting for me when that gets covered.

Who else is watching?

I've seen this before, it's a repeat. I enjoyed it the first time and I've just realised it was on again. Being born in 75 I don't really remember much about the decade :D
  • ThisGenerationThisGeneration Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Oops - I thought it was new! :o

Still interesting though.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
    Forum Member
    Oops - I thought it was new! :o

Still interesting though.

That's ok, you weren't to know if you missed it the first time :) It is interesting. I think in a later episode he talks about when there were all the strikes by the bin men and undertakers etc. The Winter of Discontent.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly, Dominic Sandbrook was born 1974, so would hardly remember most of the 1970s.

Didn't stop him writing an awesome two-volume history of the 1960s, though: Having It So Good and White Heat, covering early-60s and late-60s respectively, are both brilliant.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I gave after 15 mins. It was horrible having a documentary about a decade I lived through (I was born in 1967 and the first year I can remember is 1972) portrayed as ancient history. It made me feel so old.

My youngest was born in 2007, which means he'll view 1967 in the same way I view 1927.

God I am ancient!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave after 15 mins. It was horrible having a documentary about a decade I lived through (I was born in 1967 and the first year I can remember is 1972) portrayed as ancient history. It made me feel so old.

My youngest was born in 2007, which means he'll view 1967 in the same way I view 1927.

God I am ancient!

That's a terrifying thought.
    Our perspectives would be that with silent films of the 1920s they've always felt like ancient history to us, but actually you've highlighted that when you were born you were closer in time to those silent films than from when you were born to 2007 when your youngest son was born.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have this recorded from the original airing but have not had a chance to watch it, from the first episode it looks good.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, Dominic Sandbrook was born 1974, so would hardly remember most of the 1970s.

Didn't stop him writing an awesome two-volume history of the 1960s, though: Having It So Good and White Heat, covering early-60s and late-60s respectively, are both brilliant.

He looks much older, but I find the fact that he was only born in 1974 yet presents the documentary almost as if he has personal first hand experience a little lacking credibility. His earliest first hand memories likely begin bang on 1980!

Have to say that during the 1970-72 part there was some mismatching going on with the soundtrack, when he mentioned and played David Essex's Gonna Make You A Star, a song from late in 1974.

Enjoyed it first time around however. I always think of the modern era as beginning in 1970 for some reason.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have some of the episodes recorded on my Tivo. Definitely enjoyed it the second time around. Great little series there.

Also really loved White Heat, the drama based off his 60s books.