Was it Moffat's best finale?

Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To me yes {i'll excuse the strange ending} but I thought it was enjoyable, exciting, Gomez was great and I guess she will be back too, Plus people actually died and the Brigadier tribute was lovely
I dare not ask but what did the rest of you think?
Edit: to me its
-Death in Heaven
Night of Doctor-{close second}
Big Bang- Too timey whimey, with the Amy remembering the doctor back rubbish, was a let down after the great Pandorica Opens
Wedding of River Song- All over the place

Plus I thought Missy teleported {it was the same effect as in the plane } if a Cyberman shot her would there not be a body

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was brilliant until the last fifteen minutes. It quickly fell apart when the Brigadier killed Missy and Clara and the Doctor took part in the worst departure scene to have ever existed.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it's still "The Big Bang". Right from Amy in the Pandorica's Box I was glued to the screen. There were issues with it but overall it's still my favourite Finale.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was beautifully done. My third favourite finale behind Doomsday and Journey's End
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    It was shit, so no? The Big Bang is about the only good Moffat finale.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By far his best yet, only downside was Missy being killed and probably pop up again in a year or two with a new face, no actual regeneration and no explanation
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    i thought it was amazing till the most important part of a finale the ending if thats wrong the whole thing goes down the drain...

Big Bang
    Night of the doctor
    the wedding of river song
    Death in Heaven
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    It was terrible, worst finale ever. This has been the worst series to date for me. even the Christmas one looks like Cobblers.:cry:
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang is by far the best Doctor Who finale. This was excellent though, probably just behind Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways in 3rd spot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Nope, not even close
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    It was brilliant until the last fifteen minutes. It quickly fell apart when the Brigadier killed Missy and Clara and the Doctor took part in the worst departure scene to have ever existed.

Really worst ever? I think it was well done. It quite upsetting knowing that both of them think that the other is happy but they both aren't. They were both crying on the other side of that hug. I found it moving.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    If it was of a quality consistent with Dark Water, then yes, it could have been the best finale. But it pulled a Series 4, put all its eggs in one basket an episode too early and had nothing left but an unsatisfactory conclusion. Only this also lacked the sheer joy of being able to see all those companions on screen at once... this was Journey's End without the character-power.

I chucked in the Ten and Eleven regeneration stories because they were finales in their own rights too, just outside of the main series.

RTD Finales Best-Worst
    The Parting of the Ways
    Doomsday
    Journey's End
    Last of the Time Lords
    The End of Time: Part Two

Moffat Finales Best-Worst
    The Big Bang
    The Time of the Doctor
    The Name of the Doctor
    Death in Heaven
    The Wedding of River Song
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think so.
    But it was damned close and the others were all amazing so it's nothing to be ashamed of.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »

She went blue though, didn't she, not red (ie teleported, not vapourised).
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    She went blue though, didn't she, not red (ie teleported, not vapourised).

Yes thats what I gather too thought I was seeing thing plus no body either, she's still out there
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty poor, but not as awful as his other finales. So, I guess yes?
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was amazing till the most important part of a finale the ending if thats wrong the whole thing goes down the drain...

Big Bang
    Night of the doctor
    the wedding of river song
    Death in Heaven

What was wrong with the ending?
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Danny Pink Clara connection was stronger then tonight's episode would have had more punch, the problem is you cannot have the pay off without the build up. In my opinion the build up of this connection wasn't strong enough.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    What was wrong with the ending?

it just felt really flat to me like we were building up to a huge cliffhanger also how they made clara and danny the main focus of the story and not missy
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes thats what I gather too thought I was seeing thing plus no body either, she's still out there

I think the question now is whether that's because she'd pre-programmed it, just in case.... or because the Doctor saved her, but wanted Clara to think he'd killed her.

(or, possibly, Danny did, given he had the chance.... he was full Cyberman at the time)
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just hoping this isn't the last we see of Michelle Gomez :(
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily his best IMO.

Never really 'got' the Smith era and I felt this finale very much harked back to the RTD finale's, which is probably why I loved it so much.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really worst ever? I think it was well done. It quite upsetting knowing that both of them think that the other is happy but they both aren't. They were both crying on the other side of that hug. I found it moving.

This^ Was quite touching
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    No, I think series 5's Pandorica/The Big Bang is still the best finale in New Who.

Moffat's finales have been consistently better than RTD's (which were always the low point of the series for me)

Death in Heaven should be credited for the Armistice Day/First War world references. And the ending played out nicely with both of them lying to each other.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was much better than any of the others he's done. It had more of a season finale feel to it than the others.
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Definitely not. Not even close. I would even go as far as to say, it's even made The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe look watchable.