Options

Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,386
    Forum Member
    I don't think I could handle another tragedy. Can't we have a happy one for a change.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    As long as it is Ayesha or Emma I am happy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I think a staff family member or just some random patient.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    peter2590 wrote: »
    Who do we think is the tragedy at Xmas?

Valerie? Please?
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope it's not Howard! He's such a great character. Or Jimmy, Daniel and Zara.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand Ayesha. What an attitude problem and she's as big an inverted snob as she's accusing the 'middle classes' of being! Yet when she was working with what she calls normal people she was looking down her nose at them too IIRC! Do you think they've foisted her on us as a revenge for the way some of us slagged off Mandy in a "well if you thought SHE was bad ..." :D

I haven't watched all this week's episodes yet so I'm a bit behind but I hated her attitude with that social worker. Her mother IS putting her sister in harm, her sister nearly died so what exactly will it take for her stop her defending her mother?

Emma's another one who's sticking right in my craw. They didn't think she was right for the job and that's that, plus Jimmy has been there a lot longer. Does she think she's so marvellous that she should have just walked into the job? What a battering for her rather large ego eh? :cool: Zara and her don't get on it's as simple as that, why does it have to become a feminist issue? Why should Zara appoint another woman just because she's another woman and not the best person for the job? Zara has a superior attitude with anybody - male or female :D She's not a 'girl's girl' but do we honestly think she'd deliberately keep any female down so she could be the Queen Bee?
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    What tragedy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Valerie? Please?
    Lets bring her back and watch her get knocked over by a bus:D can't stand the women. She's not funny just an over the top idiot.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter2590 wrote: »
    Who do we think is the tragedy at Xmas?

I think it will be Ayesha's mum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it will be Ayesha's mum.
    No loss there.The actress is terrible.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All nurses are trained in child protection policies and procedures. Practice nurses would have had further training to enable them to pick up on any safeguarding issues.

I'm very disappointed at this storyline. It's so unrealistic. Nurses are well used to working with social workers as colleagues.

Ayesha is supposed to be a qualified nurse, ha ha ha!
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    All nurses are trained in child protection policies and procedures. Practice nurses would have had further training to enable them to pick up on any safeguarding issues.

I'm very disappointed at this storyline. It's so unrealistic. Nurses are well used to working with social workers as colleagues.

Ayesha is supposed to be a qualified nurse, ha ha ha!

There's a huge difference between colluding with a social worker to remove a stranger's child and arranging for your own sister to be removed from your own mother!

It's because Ayesha knows how the system works that she is being so proactive in telling her mother how to respond to the social worker. Shame the mother is too much of an alkie to get the message and to realise that she will lose her child if she doesn't get her act in order..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The tragedy could also be Ayesha's sister being taken away by social services.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses know how things work. The very last step is to remove children, these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    The tragedy could also be Ayesha's sister being taken away by social services.

Or the child could die as a result of neglect :(
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between colluding with a social worker to remove a stranger's child and arranging for your own sister to be removed from your own mother!

It's because Ayesha knows how the system works that she is being so proactive in telling her mother how to respond to the social worker. Shame the mother is too much of an alkie to get the message and to realise that she will lose her child if she doesn't get her act in order..

It's not about colluding with a social worker. It's about Ayesha's behaviour as a qualified nurse, as she's behaving in an unprofessional manner and isn't convincing because of that.

I know how the system works and mouthing off at another professional like Ayesha did, would be the very last thing a registered nurse would do, especially when it's concerning a member of your own family. Nurses work closely with social workers all the time, both in child protection and in protecting vulnerable adults. It's because they know how things work that Ayesha would know that removing a child is the last thing that would happen.

In cases like this, extra support for the mother would be put in place first and the situation would be monitored. In the real world a health visitor would also be involved.

I watch Doctors for a bit of light entertainment but I do get fed up with the inaccuracy. I think the BBC should do their research. The lack of health visitors, apart from when they slag them off, is completely off the mark. Practice nurses doing home visits is wrong as well, as District Nurses do this. Midwives are also lacking in this series, with the Practice Nurse apparently being a generic nurse for everything.

Portraying Ayesha as they do is totally unconvincing. Nurses today are well qualified and well trained. From the outset they have sessions in communication and interpersonal skills, so important for a nurse. Ayesha would have to have qualifications such as GCSEs, A Levels and a diploma in nursing, but more likely given her age, a degree. From the outset nurses have to attend regular child protection training, especially a nurse who would come into contact with children like a Practice Nurse does.

I'm not saying Ayesha is too dumb to have had an education, far from it. That's not the point. How she behaves is the point. Everyone has contact with a Practice Nurse at some point in their lives and believe me, you would never meet an Ayesha!
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the episode late but I swear I know the guy playing Sam. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »

I watch Doctors for a bit of light entertainment but I do get fed up with the inaccuracy. I think the BBC should do their research. The lack of health visitors, apart from when they slag them off, is completely off the mark. Practice nurses doing home visits is wrong as well, as District Nurses do this. Midwives are also lacking in this series, with the Practice Nurse apparently being a generic nurse for everything.

Portraying Ayesha as they do is totally unconvincing. Nurses today are well qualified and well trained. From the outset they have sessions in communication and interpersonal skills, so important for a nurse. Ayesha would have to have qualifications such as GCSEs, A Levels and a diploma in nursing, but more likely given her age, a degree. From the outset nurses have to attend regular child protection training, especially a nurse who would come into contact with children like a Practice Nurse does.

I'm not saying Ayesha is too dumb to have had an education, far from it. That's not the point. How she behaves is the point. Everyone has contact with a Practice Nurse at some point in their lives and believe me, you would never meet an Ayesha!

You are taking it too seriously. What we are seeing is the BBC and the programme makers hitting us over the head with the fact that Ayesha comes from a working class family. That's all. And clearly, if you are working class, even if you are a competent professional, then your mother has to be an alcoholic, and your background must be one of chaos.

And your experience of nurses must be very limited if you have never encountered an Ayesha. They are not all posh, middle class young ladies who have elocution lessons and ponies!

And on the topic of knowing how the system works, then perhaps you can recall how very worried Daniel and Zara were that little Joe would be taken away from them? Like Ayesha, they knew how the system worked but it didn't stop them from being afraid they would lose their child. And we are talking about two middle class professionals with jobs, nice home and cars and lots of money, rather than a stay at home mother living in a small flat. When it happens to you then it becomes much more personal and you fight harder which can make you look unstable compared to the dispassionate all-in-a-days-work social worker.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    I was so wishing that someone said to Emma that "you're the person who can't even remember to turn on the cooker when inviting people round for dinner, break your leg because you were not looking where you were going and you think you are the best person for the job as a partner"?!

Honestly her and her sense of being cheated made me sick. She totally didn't even take in that Jimmi has been at The Mill for a lot longer than she has and she is a person who in general, is there in person but no much in spirit at all.

Ayesha's mum, what a idiot. Irresponsible idiot too.

As for Ayesha, I don't think the acttress who plays her is a bad one but I do have to say that with most new characters over the years, there is often a lot of posters who take a disliking to them at first then later on say "oh I like them now". How about giving the newbies a bit of a chance before making your mind up on them?
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Or the child could die as a result of neglect :(

Oh gawd, I hope not. I know this kind of thing still happens at xmas but it would be awful to watch :(
    Styker wrote: »
    I was so wishing that someone said to Emma that "you're the person who can't even remember to turn on the cooker when inviting people round for dinner, break your leg because you were not looking where you were going and you think you are the best person for the job as a partner"?!

Honestly her and her sense of being cheated made me sick. She totally didn't even take in that Jimmi has been at The Mill for a lot longer than she has and she is a person who in general, is there in person but no much in spirit at all.

Ayesha's mum, what a idiot. Irresponsible idiot too.

As for Ayesha, I don't think the acttress who plays her is a bad one but I do have to say that with most new characters over the years, there is often a lot of posters who take a disliking to them at first then later on say "oh I like them now". How about giving the newbies a bit of a chance before making your mind up on them?

... and usually they end up liking them because TPTB shave off the harsh edges, make them a bit more likeable generally. I have no doubt that this will happen with Ayesha but at the moment I can't bloody stand her - and I don't normally take an instant dislike for a character like I have with her. She winds me up and I make no apologies for expressing that opinion. She hasn't only got an attitude with the social workers, she has an attitude with everyone. She's not following procedure at work about swapping shifts, taking time off etc but when confronted snaps their heads off but then expects everyone to be sympathetic when they hear her sob story. She's abrasive, judgemental (yet doesn't like being judged herself), goes on about 'real' people (the inverted snobbery yet again *yawn*) and in general a right horror who I can barely feel an ounce of sympathy for. She judged Daniel because he's 'middle class' without knowing anything about his past regarding Joe however I am glad she took his advice without biting his head off and admitted she was 'mardy'.

There, got that off my chest. In a couple of months I might be saying 'Oooh I love that Ayesha' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's why I'm being so defensive of her! As with all new characters they are exaggerating their character traits and making them out to be worse than they really are. As time goes by we will get to see a more balanced side of the character.
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D:D

Some have taken me a long time to get to like some people - Kevin took me until the Lauren incident, Al has been in for ages, and I'm only just warming to him since he got together with Niamh - she's been good for him. On the other hand I liked Freya when she started, but couldn't stand her by the time she left.

Ayesha might end up being a favourite, but it could take a long time. She might have collapsed under the weight of the huge chip on her shoulder before that happens though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Disappointed that Doctors haven't done anything for Children in Need this year.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,386
    Forum Member
    Not too keen on Ayesha at the moment she is a bit rough around the edges but maybe she will soften after awhile and we will all come to like her. She needs refining for the Mill Practice, perhaps she had to be tough for her previous placement. Perhaps she needs a chance.
  • Options
    Mrs Lah-di-DahMrs Lah-di-Dah Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone. First visit back here in ages, so I've just read the last couple of pages and am so gratified to find so many sharing my opinion of the abrasive, 'frowny', Ayesha. It would be lovely to see her smile once in a while (I thought people skills were important for nursing, but hey ho), and perhaps speak at normal volume rather than shouting. I suppose I must remind myself that this is just 't'telly', and not real! And by the bye ..... WHAT tragedy???
This discussion has been closed.