Options

Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement within the hour

Comments

• Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But justice has been served it went before a grand jury made up of a mixture of white and black people and they felt that there was no case to answer. Had they found a case to answer would the rioters still be protesting because it went to a grand jury. Either you accept the law or don't. If you don't then do something about it legally, like getting a black president who can maybe make those changes... oh wait!!

And with regards to the Black police officer I agree with his decision, if he felt his life was in danger and the victim was resisting arrest. Only the person on the ground can make that decision. If it goes to a Grand Jury and they find that his actions were justifiable then thats the decision made.

The problem you have is if you make every decision a soldier/policeman makes come down to "will I get prosecuted for this" then in the end there's going to be a whole lot more deaths in the future. When they decided to try and "talk down the situation" instead of taking action. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Not in the eyes Michael Brown's family it hasn't, which is understandable as anyone who had a child who died in the same manner would not see it that way. I have great sympathy for his parents, family and genuine supporters, (not including the rioters), as they did appeal for calm.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Yes and that happens too lots of people, they just don't feel the need in incite a riot. There's a civil solution through the courts, there's plenty of these lawyers in America who'd love to take this case on I'm sure.

What their unhappy about is they didn't get the verdict they wanted, Justice has nothing to do with it. To 99% of all Americans justice was deemed to have been done.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and that happens too lots of people, they just don't feel the need in incite a riot. There's a civil solution through the courts, there's plenty of these lawyers in America who'd love to take this case on I'm sure.

What their unhappy about is they didn't get the verdict they wanted, Justice has nothing to do with it. To 99% of all Americans justice was deemed to have been done.

Where did that statistic come from.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports are coming out that the prosecutor or someone on that side informed the GJ of a law that is no longer legal. This law would make it just for a police officer to shoot a fleeing man. That law was ruled unconstitutional a few decades ago.

However the GJ was not told that this law was no longer legal. So justice has NOT been served as the GJ made a ruling under false information.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like thuggery and law breaking runs in that family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30302729

Let me guess, he'll be going for 'din'do nuffin'' defence.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would be a police officer in places like that.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    I have great sympathy for his parents, family and genuine supporters, (not including the rioters), as they did appeal for calm.
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

Erm, yeah.

Was gonna say, I'm not sure standing on the bonnet of a car and shouting "Burn it all down!" into a megaphone is strictly "appealing for calm".
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Reports are coming out that the prosecutor or someone on that side informed the GJ of a law that is no longer legal. This law would make it just for a police officer to shoot a fleeing man. That law was ruled unconstitutional a few decades ago.

However the GJ was not told that this law was no longer legal. So justice has NOT been served as the GJ made a ruling under false information.

He didn't shoot a fleeing man though, so it would be irrelevant anyway.

It isn't up to the parents to decide what justice is, they're hardly impartial.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    He didn't shoot a fleeing man though, so it would be irrelevant anyway.

It isn't up to the parents to decide what justice is, they're hardly impartial.

I don't care what the parents want i care for the letter of the law and in this case the prosecutors bottled it.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

How is it running in the family if that isn't MB's father.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Erm, yeah.

Was gonna say, I'm not sure standing on the bonnet of a car and shouting "Burn it all down!" into a megaphone is strictly "appealing for calm".

I don't know who the heck you're going on about here. Well, it wouldn't be the rioters appealing for calm and then in the next breath saying that would it?! If you read my previous post properly I said those appealing for calm (the family) didn't include rioters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know who the heck you're going on about here. Well, it wouldn't be the rioters appealing for calm and then in the next breath saying that would it?! If you read my previous post properly I said those appealing for calm (the family) didn't include rioters.

You don't know who the heck I'm going on about? :confused:

Did you read the link QT' provided?

Brown's stepfather was the one standing on the bonnet of a car and imploring people to "burn it all down".
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Who would be a police officer in places like that.

Someone who likes the idea of killing people with impunity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone who likes the idea of killing people with impunity

Seems more like it's people who refuse to respect the police or people who enjoy accusing the police of impropriety, and then looting in protest at any perceived injustice, who might enjoy living there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems more like it's people who refuse to respect the police or people who enjoy accusing the police of impropriety, and then looting in protest at any perceived injustice, who might enjoy living there.

Really? They enjoy being shot at and having their calls for justice ignored? I guess that's why they are not complaining about it then....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? They enjoy being shot at and having their calls for justice ignored? I guess that's why they are not complaining about it then....

How on Earth did you get any of that from what I wrote? :confused:

To spell it out for the hard of thinking, it seems like there are some arseholes who think that it's okay to act in a criminal manner and then fight with any cop who attempts to detain them and there are other arseholes who support those criminals either out of loyalty or simply because they enjoy any opportunity to criticise the police.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    How on Earth did you get any of that from what I wrote? :confused:

To spell it out for the hard of thinking, it seems like there are some arseholes who think that it's okay to act in a criminal manner and then fight with any cop who attempts to detain them and there are other arseholes who support those criminals either out of loyalty or simply because they enjoy any opportunity to criticise the police.

this sums up what i think.. im sick of this hands up protest nonsense as well. the police should arrest anyone obstructing shoppers and motorists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try and make it clear to the dumb. Objecting to people being shot and the killers not being held accountable is not a sign of being an arsehole. There are another terms for it such being a supporter of civil liberties and rule if law - and yes ( for the really really really thick crew - that terms does include the police being held accountable before the law).

Shooting people, and cheering on the murderers and/or condemning those who object as thugs is a shitty attitude. However of course it is expected behaviour from the usual crew on this board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll try and make it clear to the dumb. Objecting to people being shot and the killers not being held accountable is not a sign of being an arsehole. There are another terms for it such being a supporter of civil liberties and rule if law - and yes ( for the really really really thick crew - that terms does include the police being held accountable before the law).

Shooting people, and cheering on the murderers and/or condemning those who object as thugs is a shitty attitude. However of course it is expected behaviour from the usual crew on this board.

Personally, I tend to think that robbery, assaulting a cop, rioting and looting is the shitty attitude and ignoring all that simply because it gives people a chance to whine about cops is only marginally less shitty.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's so much twisting of the facts going on here it can't be anything but a conscious, deliberate effort. The law was followed, there was no murder and the "protesters" are by and large nothing but agitators and rioting thugs.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just a question of black cop killing unarmed white man or white cop killing unarmed black man. The issue here is a white cop NOT being charged for killing an unarmed black youth and this is obviously what all the unrest and tension is about.

I asked the question, because by you bringing up this case of the black policeman shooting an unarmed drugged-up white man, I was thinking, IF he was subsequently charged for that shooting, then why the heck should the people in that city be protesting about that? At least the family of the white man will get justice if the black policeman is charged for killing him, not so for the family of the young black man.

Well said. Some people are being deliberately obtuse.

I'm not condoning rioting, nor am I condoning 'acting like a thug', or whatever other allegations are being used to justify shooting of an un-armed man.

Whether people think the officer acted reasonably, they have to accept that it was right that the incident was properly investigated. They may feel that has happened, but IMO, and in the opinion of many, the authorities did their best to avoid a proper investigation from the very beginning. There are many non-thuggish legal professionals who think the investigation and presentation to the grand jury stinks. There are many who think that there has not been a fair and proper investigation into what happened.

It's all very well saying that protesters have legal means of objecting, but protesting IS a legal means of protest. If a minority of dubious types, or over-emotional relatives, get a bit carried away, it doesn't change the fact that people are not happy and they have a right to say so without the police acting like the army in Tiananman Square.

There are a lot of great police officers out there, and they are let down just as much as the families, when the authorities don't properly investigate these events.

Someone said that it's not that the system isn't working, they fear it is working. There are
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's all very well saying that protesters have legal means of objecting, but protesting IS a legal means of protest.

Rioting isn't.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rioting isn't.

Agreed, and as I already said, I don't condone looting or rioting etc.

It's not a contradiction to know rioting is wrong, whilst also knowing that it's wrong for police to abuse their authority, and that the legal process should not be rigged to protect their own.

Just because some people are rioting, it doesn't mean that the whole purpose of the protests is void. The focus on the rioting is just a diversion tactic to avoid the real issue.

No honest police officer wants to be lumped in with the corrupt ones, so why should the honest protesters be blamed for the rioting?
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    The focus on the rioting is just a diversion tactic to avoid the real issue.

There hasn't been any focus on the real issues all it has been about is rioting and looting. How much attention to the real issues did his step father spend when he incited people to "burn this bitch down" the second the verdict was announced.

They dont want justice, they want mob justice. They might as well be running around the streets with torches looking for witches.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member