Films rarely on tv and dvd

Comments

• gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The animated film 'When The Wind Blows' (1986) based on the Raymond Briggs book.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A British film called Party Party (1983) Which until last week I had not even heard of..
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    Cape Fear. Been waiting for it to be shown again for ages.

The Scorsese version? If so, yeah, I haven't seen that in a while.

The original pops up on Sky Movies, every now and again.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »

I'd also add 'The Lady Eve' which starred Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda. I haven't seen that in years.

The Lady Eve is shown regularly on the Sky Classics channel.

You can purchase it from Amazon for just £5, and for £16.99 you can get a Stanwyck boxed set which includes that Classic comedy as well as The Miracle Woman, The Butter Tea of General Yen, Golden Boy, Double Indemnity and All I Desire.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a not on tv not DVD muse.
    Trancers
    Field of dreams ( not on often I caught it 6months ago)
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    The Lady Eve is shown regularly on the Sky Classics channel.

You can purchase it from Amazon for just £5, and for £16.99 you can get a Stanwyck boxed set which includes that Classic comedy as well as The Miracle Woman, The Butter Tea of General Yen, Golden Boy, Double Indemnity and All I Desire.

Whoops. I'll look out for it then. I did see the Double Idemnity on Sky Movies Classics a couple of years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    They Live is rarely on. good syfy film ..those glasses were good :D
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Lots of movies that are never shown on tv. I wonder why. Not even on dvd some of them.

A couple to mention.

Cohen & Tate ..1988 roy schieder

Soldier Blue - 1971 peter strauss

Not sure if these movies are ever shown on sky . Must be lots of movies in the archives which don't get a dvd release or tv showing. TV seems to churn out the same movies over and over/ (i know soldier blue is on dvd)

Yes mate definitely agree with you there.Sky bosses please take note.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the Lucille Ball version of Mame is out on dvd. I really really love it.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky showed Soldier Blue a few years back and, if the length of the screening is anything to go by it was the complete uncut version (ie with horsefalls) and not the still slightly edited UK version.
    Forum Member
    Another one is Blue Lagoon,Brooke Shields , sad story :(
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Another one is Blue Lagoon,Brooke Shields , sad story :(

That's been shown on Movie Mix just recently.
    Forum Member
    That's been shown on Movie Mix just recently.

oh, im a freeveiwer :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh, im a freeveiwer :p

Movie Mix is on Freeview, but might not be on the Freeview lite transmitters.

Move Mix is the Freeview version of More>Movies.
    Forum Member
    Movie Mix is on Freeview, but might not be on the Freeview lite transmitters.

Move Mix is the Freeview version of More>Movies.

sorry, yea, i realized it was after i posted..i watched that channel to see what was on ..must look out for Blue Lagoon again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sorry, yea, i realized it was after i posted..i watched that channel to see what was on ..must look out for Blue Lagoon again

They had a double of the Blue Lagoon, and Blue Lagoon 2.
  • dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    There is loads of films from when i was a kid that i found hard to find over the years:

The Wizard (1989)
    Trading Mom (1994)
    Candleshoe (1977)
    Help Wanted: Kids (1986)

Trading Mom and Help Wanted: Kids - were never released on DVD. However I was able to find a copy of them and put them onto YouTube if anyone is wanting to watch them.
    The Wizard is also on YouTube.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rarely on TV:
    Nothing But the Night
    I Start Counting
    The Cremators
    Would You Kill a Child?
    The Day They Gave Babies Away
    The Last Valley (in the correct aspect ratio)
    -30- aka Deadline Midnight
    City That Never Sleeps
    Nightmare Alley
    Neither the Sea nor the Sand.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I wish the Lucille Ball version of Mame is out on dvd. I really really love it.

You must be one of the few that do love it. I liked Lucy on TV, but she didn't have a clue about the character of Mame.
    The critics agreed, and one accurately described it as "Maimed". It was tragic that Angela Lansbury wasn't considered a big enough Box Office star at the time to repeat her stage performance onscreen. Not surprisingly, it was a flop at the Box Office. The one saving grace was Bea Arthur as Vera Charles.

The greatest Mame of the all was Roz Russell who starred in "Auntie Mame" on Broadway in 1957, and then starred in the film version in 1958.

This great version IS on DVD.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Killer Fish is on either Horror or Movies4Men, Nightwing is on TCM

One that has genuinely been near lost for much of its life is "Ghost Story" (1974) which is getting its Horror Channel debut this afternoon. It pretty much fell off the radar soon after release. The DVD was actually taken from the BBC copy of the film. Goodness knows when they last screened it.
    Described by Cinema Today as being like "a vintage P.G. Wodehouse story as it might have been ghosted by Edgar Allen Poe" GHOST STORY resembles not so much its Hammer, Tigon, Tyburn, and Amicus horror contemporaries so much as the shot-on-film BBC TV M.R. James "Ghost Story for Christmas" adaptation. Peter Hurst's stately cinematography creates a believable portrait of rural England in the thirties (even though the film was shot in India) and Ron Geesin's experimental score adds to the off-kilter atmosphere. Although the film's cult appeal is due to the presence of Marianne Faithful, the performances are excellent all around; specifically the lead trio (including Mackerrell who was the inspiration for the Withnail character in Bruce Robinson's WITHNAIL AND I). Deliberately paced and understated, GHOST STORY will prove rewarding to patient and attentive viewers
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077800/combined
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Killer Fish is on either Horror or Movies4Men, Nightwing is on TCM

One that has genuinely been near lost for much of its life is "Ghost Story" (1974) which is getting its Horror Channel debut this afternoon. It pretty much fell off the radar soon after release. The DVD was actually taken from the BBC copy of the film. Goodness knows when they last screened it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077800/combined

"Ghost Story" has been shown several times on the Horror Channel.
    It made its début last year, which was when I accidentally erased it from my Sky+ box.
    Why it disappeared quite so completely for so long is a mystery.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky showed Soldier Blue a few years back and, if the length of the screening is anything to go by it was the complete uncut version (ie with horsefalls) and not the still slightly edited UK version.

Did it show the knife attack on the Red Indian woman as well ?
    I bought a German Uncut DVD of it a while ago.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    Breaking glass (1980) is the one film I would love to see again and get on DVD. I was a young 'un when I first saw this and watched quite a few times. Can't remember if the acting was up to much, but loved the way the songs were interweaved into the story and I loved the songs.

It seems now to get it on DVD you have to pay quite a bit of money and I can't justify that for a DVD, however much I want it!!!

I thought I heard talk on the internet of a new DVD. So I checked the BBFC. There is a submit for 12/9/2012 by Strike Force Entertainment. As yet nothing though.

Olive films put it out in the US on DVD and Blu last yeat,but its the cut American Edit.
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Lots of movies that are never shown on tv. I wonder why. Not even on dvd some of them.

A couple to mention.

Cohen & Tate ..1988 roy schieder

Soldier Blue - 1971 peter strauss

Not sure if these movies are ever shown on sky . Must be lots of movies in the archives which don't get a dvd release or tv showing. TV seems to churn out the same movies over and over/ (i know soldier blue is on dvd)
    Totally agree with you its about time they showed other stuff as there are thousands of movies out there.