2014: What characters/actors have shone this year?

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
What characters/actors have shone this year? It can be the character, the actor, or both.

I have a few:

Danny Dyer in Eastenders - I love the character of Mick but I think the way Danny has played him has really made people sit up and take notice.

Linda Carter in Eastenders - This character is brilliant. She's written wonderfully.

James Sutton in Hollyoaks - I think James has done a brilliant job this year and has portrayed so many emotions as John Paul. I love the vulnerability yet strength he has portrayed.

Sally Webster in Coronation Street - She has been written even more brilliantly this year - her snobbiness never gets old.

Ryan Hawley in Emmerdale - I think he's been fantastic in just the few weeks that he has been on the show as Robert. For me he just owns the screen when he does a scene.

Ross Barton in Emmerdale - This character has been written beautifully - one episode I'm loving to hate him and the next I'm feeling sorry for him.

Matt Di Angelo in Eastenders - I think Matt portrayed Dean extremely well this year - from his outbursts at Shirley to his awful crime against Linda, I think Matt has shown a lot of people just how good an actor is.

Simon Gregson in Coronation Street - For me, Simon has made Steve's depression storyline a lot more engaging to viewers than it could have been - I think viewers really understand what Steve's going through due to Simon's performance and I think that must be very difficult to do.

I've probably forgotten some so I'll add as the thread goes along. What are other's people's views?

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marlon Dingle
    Julie Carp
    Sean Tully.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally Webster - the best character in soap. So real.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Many have been outstanding in EE. My top ones:

Timothy West
    Linda Henry
    Kellie Bright
    Diane Parish
    Matt di Angelo
    Linda Marlowe
    Sam Womack
    Adam Woodyatt
  • eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Many have been outstanding in EE. My top ones:

Timothy West
    Linda Henry
    Kellie Bright
    Diane Parish
    Matt di Angelo
    Linda Marlowe
    Sam Womack
    Adam Woodyatt

I'll agree with all of these and add Danny Dyer and Annette Badland. I haven't seen Danny in anything else before EE. I'm in the US and he's not known here, but from what I gather this is a very different role for him. I think he's done a great job in bringing together all of the aspects of Mick's character - caring, kind, protective, and stable while also confused, lost, frustrated, and (as we're supposed to soon see) really angry. As for Annette, WOW can she vacillate between Babe's warmth and love for the family and her cold, manipulative, sociopathic ways that rival Michael Moon. I love watching Babe!

I wasn't big on Linda at first and was downright pissed at her when Johnny came out. When she told Stan (I think? Or was it Babe?) about Johnny being sick as a child and how she'd always worried about him more than her other kids, I still didn't agree with her approach but I knew where she was coming from. Kellie has really made the aftermath of Linda's rape very believable and painful - although I'm frustrated at her for not telling anyone, I feel her fear and anguish and understand exactly what she's thinking. Great character, great job on Kellie's part.

As for Dean - I'm still kind of at a loss. His character has taken such a strange turn since he came back this year. He went from sort of an immature and misguided outsider during his first run and now goes from angry and combative (to Shirley) to creepy and predatory (to Linda) to sweet and likable (Stacey and most other characters) in a very unsettling way. If Dean is taken the direction that I think he'll go - as a very angry man slowly becoming completely unstable - Matt di Angelo is doing an incredible job! I'm really interested in seeing what direction his character will take in the next few months.

Adam Woodyatt has really shown all of Ian's pain and flaws as he's mourned for Lucy, lashed out at Peter, Denise, Jane, Cindy, etc., and is slowly trying to find a way back to "normal" while continually finding out more and more unsavory things about his daughter. I'm interested in seeing just how he'll respond when Lucy's killer is revealed. Is it someone he knows well? Someone from his own family?

I'll also give an honorable mention to Ben Hardy. He's always played a rather low-key version of Peter (not bad, just a different rendition than the previous actor) that didn't often catch my eye. But in the past few weeks as he and Ian have butted heads, I've been very impressed with Hardy. I'll be sorry to see him go.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda Carter
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Alison King, Kellie Bright, Lindsey Coulson, Linda Henry, Emma Atkins, Samantha Womack, Diane Parish.
  • SoulStarDreamerSoulStarDreamer Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Linda Henry stands out to me the most!

Others are:

Timothy West
    Lindsey Coulson
    Danny Dyer
    Sam Strike
    Maddy Hill
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Ford and the character of Tracy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CS - Alison King

EE - Diane Parish, Rudolph Walker

ED - Emma Atkins, Eden Taylor-Draper
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    EE

First and foremost, Linda Henry. She has been incredible. And Shirley has been revitalised.

And Tim West who has stole the show as Stan. Brilliant character, fabulous actor.

Others include:

Annette Badland
    Declan Bennett
    Danny Dyer
    Adam Woodyatt
    Matt Di'Angelo
    Samantha Womack
    Di Parish
    I'm not a fan of Linda but credit where it is due for Kellie Bright.

And special mentions to Karl Howman and Linda Marlowe - we haven't see a lot of them yet but what we did get was absolutely brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    The Carters on EE, I bloody love them :D
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    All of the EE cast have done brilliantly this year!
  • ofthenightofthenight Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Sutton
    Kieron Richardson
    Stephanie Davis
    Stephanie Waring
    Jeremy Sheffield
    Anna Passey
    Nikki Sanderson
    Danny Mac
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Eastenders
    Danny Dyer
    Matt Di'Angelo
    Kellie Bright
    Rudolph Walker
    Diane Parish
    Adam Woodyatt
    Linda Henry

Emmerdale
    Eden Taylor Draper
    Michael Parr
    The actress who plays Nicola King (I forget her name :blush:)

Hollyoaks
    The actor who plays Patrick Blake (Sorry I forget his name, is it Jeremy Sheffield?):blush:
    Anna Passey
    Nikki Sanderson

Coronation Street
    Kate Ford
    The actress who plays Sally Webster
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Dyer
    Timothy West
    Linda Henry
    Kellie Bright
    Annette Badland
    Matt di Angelo
    Linda Marlowe
    Diane Parish
    Sam Womack
    Adam Woodyatt
    Declan Bennett
    June Brown
    Lacey Turner
    Jessie Wallace
    Charlie Brooks

And for sheer comedy gold John Altman and Pauline Mclynn. :D:D:D

But almost all of the actors have been excellent this year so I could list most of the cast!
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Di Angelo
    Danny Dyer
    Kellie Bright
    James Sutton
    Charlie Vernham
    Jason Roscoe
  • casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda Henry's definitely up there. Severely underrated, I think, and can out-act everybody else when called for.

Honorable mentions to Kellie Bright, Annette Badland and Nicola Wheeler (another one that's hugely underrated).
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Linda Henry's definitely up there. Severely underrated, I think, and can out-act everybody else when called for.

Honorable mentions to Kellie Bright, Annette Badland and Nicola Wheeler (another one that's hugely underrated).

BIB: Completely agree. 100%. She is underrated but one of the best actresses on there. She never ceases to impress me.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    ED:

Michael Parr as Ross - man on the verge of disaster, the whole time
    Verity Rushworth as Donna - so so sad, facing death on her own terms
    Emma Atkins as Charity - been a great year for her, appalling but brilliant
    Laura Ann Norton as Kerry - just hilarious, every scene she's in. I love her.

Special mentions also to Jason Merrells as departed Declan, who should probably never have got involved with Queen Charity but I'm glad he did, Jamie Shelton as even more departed Robbie, who suddenly became brilliantly likeable, and little Amelia Flanagan as poor motherless little April, who could show the grown-ups a thing or two.