Options

Why have Radio not playlisted MKS Flatline?

Comments

• Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    ^ It's the higher-uppers sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Nick Grimshaw and Sara Cox really like it and Fern wants them in the live lounge but the problem is the people in the playlist meetings are all under 23 years of age. Therefore they think music from 28 year old women is too out of touch with the listeners.

The criteria for the playlist includes:
    1. Mention of sex or sexual behaviour
    2. Lyrics about 'da club'
    3. Performed by artists under 23 years of age
    4. Ladies who wear black lipstick
    5. Someone with hipster hair

Capitals policy is to play songs from R1's playlist as soon as they have sold 5k units.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Grimshaw and Sara Cox really like it and Fern wants them in the live lounge but the problem is the people in the playlist meetings are all under 23 years of age. Therefore they think music from 28 year old women is too out of touch with the listeners.

The criteria for the playlist includes:
    1. Mention of sex or sexual behaviour
    2. Lyrics about 'da club'
    3. Performed by artists under 23 years of age
    4. Ladies who wear black lipstick
    5. Someone with hipster hair

Capitals policy is to play songs from R1's playlist as soon as they have sold 5k units.

Do they have to undergo the ritual of the 'Carousel' and seek renewal when they reach 24?

Would getting played on a serious station like Radio 2 or Radio 6 help?
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    R1 have really disappointed me here. A few DJs (as mentioned above) have praised this track and it rated very well on their Review show a few weeks back, yet they still refuse to play it. It can't be anything to do with their age either because the oldest (Siobhan) is only 29!

They really need to sort their playlist policy out or make it clearer to the listeners just how they make their decisions. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some songs just don't get played for one reason or another. Roger Taylor's song Nazis 1994 wasn't played and some record shops even refused to stock it but it became his best selling solo single.

Lol, must admit didn't expect to be reminded of Roger Taylor's Nazis 94 record when reading about the Sugababes members. That record didn't get played because a record referencing Hitler, the Holocaust and the growth of the far right isn't exactly daytime radio fodder but thanks for reminding me of that great song!

As for MKS they are considered too old sadly.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think it's because it's crap, the vocals are annoying and it's just generally a very forgettable, bland song.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the radio approach to the song would have been different if they'd taken the Sugababes name ? MKS is a bit of a daft name IMO ..

I know Keisha claims to have "some" rights to the name, but I can't honestly imagine it would extend to actually officially reforming them .. I always thought she was awarded the rights to only produce Sugababes stationery ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one cares. Its really that simple. I said all along they would flop and they will. Apart from a few old fans who still believe in them they have no fan base.

Don't get me wrong I like Siobhan a lot but Keisha and Mutya ruined the Sugababes legacy. I know some Keisha fans try to blame Heidi but Heidi will have the last laugh here.

I agree. At first I was hyped up then for me 'flatline' was a disappointment :/ it has grown on me a bit but yeah I've lost interest sadly & now I almost completely don't care anymore about them sadly
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't play it because its real music
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 is possibly even worse than Capital. Capital play the same five songs on a loop but Radio 1 is just noise and the DJs saying how amazing the racket masquerading as music is.
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I honestly think it's because it's crap, the vocals are annoying and it's just generally a very forgettable, bland song.

This. It's bland, bland, bland.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heidi, don't you have a musical to rehearse for!?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the playlists are full of edgy, pop classics right?
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they play Will I Am's singles? They must have played Daft Punk & Burred Lines too... I don't know if I agree saying it's all about age.

But MKS is maybe more like an "old" reformed group attempting a come back... Maybe the buzz isn't as strong as fans think. Would the newly reformed 5ive, or Blue get airplay automatically?
    I don't even think "current" groups like Little Mix get their songs that easely playlisted (from what I read in the LM thread).
  • Options
    JournalJournal Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This song is just fantastic and while I understand why some might think it bland, it has radio-friendly written all over it. Is this definitely a snub, is it too late to playlist it?
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope their album is a mega success in case. But I think they signed up to a cheap label, which may do them harm.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I hope their album is a mega success in case. But I think they signed up to a cheap label, which may do them harm.

They are signed to Polydor which made a massive success out of Girls Aloud but they have done a bad one on MKS, same as The Saturdays
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girl bands are just difficult to market in the current pop climate.

The Saturdays have done well to last this long tbh. Sugababes were dying before the drama of Sweet 7 and Girls Aloud didn't set the charts alight with their Ten year anniversary.

Problem with MKS is they have no fanbase at all. I love Siobhan, I think she is a really nice person, so I'm sad its heading this way but I always knew it would. That's why I never got excited about their return. These three girls didn't work the first time so they were never going to work a second time. Heidi was very important to the set up and sound of this group. No matter how hard Keisha fans want to deny it. Mutya, Keisha, Heidi. That was the Sugababes.
  • Options
    Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl bands are just difficult to market in the current pop climate.

The Saturdays have done well to last this long tbh. Sugababes were dying before the drama of Sweet 7 and Girls Aloud didn't set the charts alight with their Ten year anniversary.

Problem with MKS is they have no fanbase at all. I love Siobhan, I think she is a really nice person, so I'm sad its heading this way but I always knew it would. That's why I never got excited about their return. These three girls didn't work the first time so they were never going to work a second time. Heidi was very important to the set up and sound of this group. No matter how hard Keisha fans want to deny it. Mutya, Keisha, Heidi. That was the Sugababes.

Pop is on its way down anyway. Obviously it will always be around but since 2009 it has ruled the charts, music is now moving on from this, I'd say it's R'n'B and Raps time to shine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wanted have a career because their management are involved with a radio station and got them very heavy airplay, maybe The Sugababes' management/record company have some clout and are blocking the MKS song? I'm sure there are all sorts of politics involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    The Wanted have a career because their management are involved with a radio station and got them very heavy airplay, maybe The Sugababes' management/record company have some clout and are blocking the MKS song? I'm sure there are all sorts of politics involved.

From Crown Talent's website, it doesn't look like the Sugababes still have a management deal as they aren't listed there as clients and they have been with them since Heidi joined the group so I don't think it's that
  • Options
    _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    If the recent comments MKS have been making towards Heidi, Amelle & Jade are correct & haven't been mis quoted I am glad this looks likely to flop.

Heidi, Amelle & to a lesser extent Jade helped keep the Sugababes legacy carry on when members of MKS were happy to ditch it or be pushed out of it. The fact they are replacements is irrelevant to me as I like many replacement members in pop bands (Michelle from DC, Jenny in AK, Jacquie in Bananarama to name a few) & to me they are all worthy of respect whether they are originals or not.

I think Mutya & Keisha are coming across badly from recent comments they apparently made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    If the recent comments MKS have been making towards Heidi, Amelle & Jade are correct & haven't been mis quoted I am glad this looks likely to flop.

Heidi, Amelle & to a lesser extent Jade helped keep the Sugababes legacy carry on when members of MKS were happy to ditch it or be pushed out of it. The fact they are replacements is irrelevant to me as I like many replacement members in pop bands (Michelle from DC, Jenny in AK, Jacquie in Bananarama to name a few) & to me they are all worthy of respect whether they are originals or not.

I think Mutya & Keisha are coming across badly from recent comments they apparently made.

If you are referring to the "You see them now and they're like, 'What are you girls up to? And they act surprised when you don't want to say hello back to them. They're like, 'Oh, I can see you don't want to talk to me.' Well, yeah. F**k off. You clearly know why. So you just have to give them that look and hope that they'll go away.'' for the first time I believe they have been misquoted

For the other quotes about the name and that Keisha was never mean to Siobhan, I don't believe a word of them and agree they are coming across badly and bitter about the whole experience which Keisha has every right to be, it wasn't her choice to leave the Sugababes, but Siobhan and Mutya have no right whatsoever to be bitter about how the Sugababes are now, they left at critical points in the band's history
  • Options
    _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    If you are referring to the "You see them now and they're like, 'What are you girls up to? And they act surprised when you don't want to say hello back to them. They're like, 'Oh, I can see you don't want to talk to me.' Well, yeah. F**k off. You clearly know why. So you just have to give them that look and hope that they'll go away.'' for the first time I believe they have been misquoted

For the other quotes about the name and that Keisha was never mean to Siobhan, I don't believe a word of them and agree they are coming across badly and bitter about the whole experience which Keisha has every right to be, it wasn't her choice to leave the Sugababes, but Siobhan and Mutya have no right whatsoever to be bitter about how the Sugababes are now, they left at critical points in the band's history

It begs the question of why did Heidi & Amelle no longer want to work with her though? pre MKS reforming Siobhan made her own feelings about her very clear aswell but that all seems to have been brushed under the carpet.

When 3 of the 4 members she worked with left/wanted out because of her alone it says a lot about Keisha.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MKS actually sacked their manager. The very man who put them back together and set up their return.

If they have been blacklisted then its because of what they did to him.

There is that old saying. Be nice to people on the way up as they will meet you on the way down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    It begs the question of why did Heidi & Amelle no longer want to work with her though? pre MKS reforming Siobhan made her own feelings about her very clear aswell but that all seems to have been brushed under the carpet.

When 3 of the 4 members she worked with left/wanted out because of her alone it says a lot about Keisha.

Oh I agree I believe 100% what was said about Keisha being unbearable to work with towards the end of her run in the band, to come from Siobhan, Amelle and Heidi, for her to not speak to Mutya properly in years after Mutya left the band, it is easy to believe.. Siobhan backtracking on 11 years of saying Keisha being mean and just having an issue with her for no reason and then suddenly deciding that she wasn't just as their comeback single is about to be released doesn't ring true..

She may be a very talented person, but I believe what Heidi, Amelle and Siobhan (pre 2013) said about Keisha