Options

Why have Radio not playlisted MKS Flatline?

Comments

• Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Don't they play Will I Am's singles? They must have played Daft Punk & Burred Lines too... I don't know if I agree saying it's all about age.

But MKS is maybe more like an "old" reformed group attempting a come back... Maybe the buzz isn't as strong as fans think. Would the newly reformed 5ive, or Blue get airplay automatically?
    I don't even think "current" groups like Little Mix get their songs that easely playlisted (from what I read in the LM thread).

The original line up wasn't a success, so if this is basically just a reformation, there isn't really the original fan base there to want to listen to their material.

They were a one hit wonder and were very close to being dropped, Heidi saved that group whether die hard fans want to admit it or not. The success of the Sugababes was from the second line up, and spilled over into the third.

Above all of that, the song is awful and boring anyway.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    TThey were a one hit wonder and were very close to being dropped, Heidi saved that group whether die hard fans want to admit it or not. The success of the Sugababes was from the second line up, and spilled over into the third.

Maybe the second line up should have reformed. I'm sure they could have released a few good songs. Sugababes 2.0 had some of the best singles. Songs like Round Round and Freak Like Me still sound great now and are completely different from what any other girlband ever released.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    The original line up wasn't a success, so if this is basically just a reformation, there isn't really the original fan base there to want to listen to their material.

They were a one hit wonder and were very close to being dropped, Heidi saved that group whether die hard fans want to admit it or not. The success of the Sugababes was from the second line up, and spilled over into the third.

Above all of that, the song is awful and boring anyway.

The first album wasn't a success but it was extremely good. Just as Siobhan's 'Ghosts' album is extremely good.
    Sugababes 2.0 were more successful than 1.0 but two members of that successful unit are in MKS.

I think the problem is that MKS are seen as a reunion type thing where really they are tying to do something new.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MKS did an interview with The Guardian recently. It was revealed that Siobhan and Mutya like to go out and get "sh*tfaced" before recording sessions while Keisha doesn't do that and is always the first to turn up in the studio.
    Keisha is obviously ultra-professional when it comes to her work. Doesn't take a genius to see how that would have caused conflicts in 3.0, especially with Amelle not turning up half the time.
    That must have drove Keisha mad and caused many blazing rows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MKS actually sacked their manager. The very man who put them back together and set up their return.

If they have been blacklisted then its because of what they did to him.

There is that old saying. Be nice to people on the way up as they will meet you on the way down.

Yep, not the smartest move.
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Nick Grimshaw and Sara Cox really like it and Fern wants them in the live lounge but the problem is the people in the playlist meetings are all under 23 years of age. Therefore they think music from 28 year old women is too out of touch with the listeners.

The criteria for the playlist includes:
    1. Mention of sex or sexual behaviour
    2. Lyrics about 'da club'
    3. Performed by artists under 23 years of age
    4. Ladies who wear black lipstick
    5. Someone with hipster hair

Capitals policy is to play songs from R1's playlist as soon as they have sold 5k units.

That sums it up to a tee plus promoscious singers like Miley Cyprus and tabloid fodder like 1D. Its wrong. There needs tl be a revamp.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I agree that there are certain politics that determine radio's playlists and there's definitely plenty of discrimination and ageism going on, but a truly great song will always find its way to the playlists no matter what. Let's not blame everything on radio programmers. Put simply, the song itself is not strong enough. The verses are great and so is the production but it doesn't build up to anything but a weak chorus. I'm one of the VERY few who LOVED the video, so the track has grown on me, but that doesn't mean it's good enough to be played on heavy rotation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigitalSpy's new article about Jade is interesting...
    http://www.digitalspy.ie/music/news/a513078/jade-ewen-reveals-sugababes-ended-two-years-ago-i-cant-keep-lying.html

She says this after Amelle suggested that Sugababes will be back in the studio next year.....someone is obviously telling fibs:o
    More so, looks like there is a rift between Jade and Amelle/Heidi as they are contradicting each other when it comes to talking to the press about Sugababes' future:o

Guess the revolving door will be open again!
  • Options
    _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Jade is just desperate to be part of any successful project & it just has never happened for her.

I bet she is full of bitterness.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    DigitalSpy's new article about Jade is interesting...
    http://www.digitalspy.ie/music/news/a513078/jade-ewen-reveals-sugababes-ended-two-years-ago-i-cant-keep-lying.html

She says this after Amelle suggested that Sugababes will be back in the studio next year.....someone is obviously telling fibs:o
    More so, looks like there is a rift between Jade and Amelle/Heidi as they are contradicting each other when it comes to talking to the press about Sugababes' future:o

Guess the revolving door will be open again!

I think there is a situation there.. It was telling in the Amelle interview on DS "Me and Heidi are really close and we always have been. She's really happy and I'm happy for her. Same with Jade - she's cool - she's just got back from holiday."

I don't think anyone is necessarily telling fibs, rather Amelle and Heidi are hoping to return to Sugababes in 2014 and Jade doesn't want to do it because she knows its unlikely to be successful anyway
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heidi and Amelle should just continue as a duo if they ever come back. I think they'd be better off without Jade.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is a situation there.. It was telling in the Amelle interview on DS "Me and Heidi are really close and we always have been. She's really happy and I'm happy for her. Same with Jade - she's cool - she's just got back from holiday."

I don't think anyone is necessarily telling fibs, rather Amelle and Heidi are hoping to return to Sugababes in 2014 and Jade doesn't want to do it because she knows its unlikely to be successful anyway

Fascinating as this is about the machinations within the franchise that is the Sugababes, this thread is about MKS and their first single.

I'm interested to see if the MKS appearance on Alan Carr will have any impact on the playlists. Also, it is a real pity that there isn't a proper music programme on tv that isn't tied into a talent show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Fascinating as this is about the machinations within the franchise that is the Sugababes, this thread is about MKS and their first single.

I'm interested to see if the MKS appearance on Alan Carr will have any impact on the playlists. Also, it is a real pity that there isn't a proper music programme on tv that isn't tied into a talent show.

Maybe you should have quoted the person that originally mentioned the Sugababes rather than the person the replied?

I don't think them going on Alan Carr will do anything for them getting airplay, this is just a single that isn't going to be played on mainstream national radio and as such, coupled with the amazingly stupid Friday release, Flatline is likely to do exactly that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Flatline has just been released. Currently #190 on iTunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Well Flatline has just been released. Currently #190 on iTunes.

I've got my copy.. The cover art isn't exactly imaginative, doesn't even say Flatline anywhere on it

Also looking at their twitter there is a promotion for a gig and either they or the venue has used the band name as well as saying 'The Original Sugababes' using the Sweet 7 logo, I thought they didn't want any association to the name because it was tarnished
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Heidi and Amelle should just continue as a duo if they ever come back. I think they'd be better off without Jade.

I think so too. But I reckon they'll come back with a new band name and third member.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Just bought it ^^
  • Options
    busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think that this might have something to do with the age range of their fanbase. The teenage girls who would originally remember the first incarnation of the sugababes are probably now just about to hit their 30s and in all honesty probably are not interested in girl band music any more.

They grew up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this is up to #21 already. I'm just annoyed they didn't release this on Monday. It would have been interesting to see what their real first week's chart position was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to watch their performance on Alan Carr tomorrow night!
  • Options
    GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's gonna flop through lack of AirPlay! We all know it..
    Hopefully next song will be play listed or overall album sales are good!
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all politics. I wish MKS the best of success with Flatline.

Fear for the worst - hope for the best.
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although... maybe it's all to do with Mutya's styling in the video. ABOMINATION!
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought the single. I love it. What reason have they given for releasing the single on a Friday instead of Monday, anyone know? It just doesn't make any sense if they want to get a decent chart placing, or aren't they bothered about the charts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I've bought the single. I love it. What reason have they given for releasing the single on a Friday instead of Monday, anyone know? It just doesn't make any sense if they want to get a decent chart placing, or aren't they bothered about the charts?

As radio have snubbed them, they've decided to bring forward the release date to coincide with their Alan Carr performance tomorrow night so people who watch the show can immediately download the song afterwards.
    Sadly, it means that they are hampering their own chances at a decent chart placing by releasing the song so late in the chart week but I guess this was the best option to go with.